IGNORED

Move and Kinect the modern Sega CD/32X…

I have this belief that these add-on peripherals will ultimately fail…

here are my reasoning:

these are added cost items which are ultimately optional, history has shown that the install base of a console usually will only see 10-15% likely to purchase an add on peripheral… a developer making a game for such a peripheral is not likely to sell to that entire percentage… with the high cost to develop games, developers are less likely to put resources toward a peripheral only to see a small return. they would rather cater to the lowest common denominator as they are likely to realize the greatest return…

at first, there sure is likely to be support for titles for these new add-ons, but as time wears on, the investment will not justify the small return and resources will continue to be put into games that are likely to attract the entire install base…

just like add-ons like the Sega CD and 32X, the libraries will be small and support will wane as time goes on…

these are my personal feelings on these new peripherals for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

I'm in "wait and see" mode for these but I can't help but have similar thoughts. Where the Sega CD and 32X improved on the games, the Move and Kinect improve on the controllers. If consumers aren't going to buy into improving games on an existing system, they sure as heck aren't going to buy into improving the controller.

I actually thought the SegaCD and 32X were good ideas at the time. I was excited about the prospect of breathing new life into my Genesis. Unfortunately, the market decided it would be better to wait for a completely new console instead. I don't see that changing for Move or Kinect's case.

I agree with most of the OP's post, but one thing must be considered; these are new controllers, not true console addons like the Sega CD, which require new games to use it effectively. However, in this age of digital downloads, a simple downloadable update is all that is necessary to enable support for these new controllers. Also, it is entirely feasible that a developer can allow both the motion controller and standard controller to be used in a game.

They are not marketed simply as controllers and the price does not reflect the price of a controller. They are marketed as, and the price reflects, that they are a new peripheral. MS has almost spun the Kinect as their next generation console using their current generation hardware. That sounds a lot like the Sega CD/32x and I believe they will experience the same failure. Even if it were a controller there are great examples of similar failures in that category. Power glove anybody?

i think they're both doomed for failure. i just want the companies to focus on games instead of trojan horsing blu-ray, 3D, motion controllers and the like. is that too much to ask?

i honestly think the industry is out of ideas and all 3 companies this gen have massive problems. nintendo has almost non-existent quality 3rd party support, sony is more concerned at using the ps3 as a trojan horse for its other expensive technologies and ms has utterly embarrassing quality control and overpriced accessories.

i'm honestly thinking this may be my last gen. i'm not gonna lie and say that there aren't good games out but as we sit currently, the industry capital S Sucks.

Edited by xg4bx

If you want to use the Sega model, then the 6-button controller was successful.

For Nintendo the expansion pack and rumble pack were both successful with N64.

And if they decided to pack these things into consoles, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Those were optional and they were not $150. Kinect games are going to require kinect, the peripheral is expensive, the games are expensive as games are today, and nobody is going to look at this as buying a different controller or controller peripherals. It is a major addon to the console like the Sega CD/32x, Jag CD, and like the HDDVD addon drive with game playing ability added. These sorts of modifications have proven failures time and time again.

I hadn't heard about both the Move and the Kinect, but now I checked it out, I think that Microsoft and Sony have decided that the want a piece of the cake of the casual and sports game market that Nintendo has opened up with the Wii and it's Wiimote. Nintendo was very crafty in that they packaged such a controller with their Wii from the get-go, which is the only way to make such a gimmick work. But their two competitors will find out it's too late for them. None of this is new technology, I remember similar motion detecting controllers, or the eye toy being available for the PS2. Those were not very popular, and would only sell well together with a game that used the controller in question.

Furthermore, all these these motion-based controllers are niece for sports and dance games, and perhaps for FPS games, but for other genres, and especially for lengthy games, they are more a bother causing pain in the arms, rather than being useful. Certainly for action/adventures or RPG, a classic controller is easier, more comfortable in use, and can be kept resting in my lap, so my arms don't get tired.

In other words, I both hope that they will fail. And I also think that they will fail if past trends persist.

I would be willing to bet money that your typical videogame retail associate is going to describe this to customers as a controller.. People can think whatever they want of it, but that's all it is.

Regarding the comparison to the Sega CD/32X, it makes no sense asides from the price range and the fact that it will require specific games for the "add-on". From what I can tell, it adds a new method of control, that's all--No added power and no visual enhancement over what the 'box already had without the add-on.

Edited by Austin

look, the sega cd was not the uber-failure that sunk sega. it was a modestly succesful add-on. it was on the market for several years, and it had a library of well over 100 games. the 32x started off with a bang, but died after the initial burst. it had less than 40 games, and lasted less than a year on the market.

so the question you should ask, is if kinect and move will be either the modern day sega cd (modest success), or the modern 32x (failure)?

If you want to use the Sega model, then the 6-button controller was successful.

For Nintendo the expansion pack and rumble pack were both successful with N64.

And if they decided to pack these things into consoles, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Wasn't there only a handful of fighting games that made use of the 6-button controller? (Although I LOVE this controller)

And... wasn't there only 2 games that used the expansion pak?

I don't know much about the rumble pak. Any idea how many sold?

@lisalover: Why would a developer go back and create a whole new control scheme for an existing game? Are that many people going to buy your 2 year old game now - after passing the first time - because you retrofitted motion controls? Of course there will be some new games with support for both, but based on the Wii, support for both usually means a game best played with a controller.

I think both tank hard.

Wasn't there only a handful of fighting games that made use of the 6-button controller? (Although I LOVE this controller)

Actually, there were several other games that used it.. Contra Hard Corps for instance used the X, Y, Z buttons to stand your character in place, versus having to do combinations of the ABC buttons like before. Comix Zone, likewise, used the top three buttons for each of your inventory items. Plenty of other games other than fighters put the pad to good use, but on the other hand, there were plenty of fighters that used it, too. :)

And... wasn't there only 2 games that used the expansion pak?

I believe there were only four or five games that outright required it, but there were plenty more that still supported it, giving you the option to run visuals in a higher resolution (Castlevania: LoD, Turok 2, Turok Rage Wars, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Armorines are a few examples).

Edited by Austin

Addon pretty much automatically means "failure" IMO....however, it's not exactly the same as the SaCD and 32X. The bigg difference is the SaCD and 32X were unproven technology trying to fill gaps that weren't really there. They are indeed cool (for their time) but just really didn't serve a real purpose. The Moe and Kinectic things are bassed off proven tech (wii, or Eyetoy or whatever) but have an advantage over the Wii of not requireing all games to run with it The biggest failing of the Wii is the HUGE ammoutn of games taht are simply shoehorned in to "make use of" the wiimote, instead of actually being good in any ways. The wii has plenty of good games, but because of the required wii controller, it's gota ton more unplayable or unenjoyable trash for it than any other system right now.

Now Move and kenetic are both addons, they give you the advantages of the Wii, but won't be required controll for most games, so I see them actually having a chance to do good....though I'll have to see them in action before I can say much more.

first off, I don't want to sound that I'm knocking the Sega add-ons, I quite enjoy my Sega CD and 32X has it's share of nice games, and Sega CD I believe held it's fair share of market during it's time, but on the scope of overall Genesis install base, it can't be argued that it only penetrated a very small percentage… also in regard to Sega CD, it came to market to compete with the PC Engine/Turbo CD - so CD gaming though in infancy, wasn't brand new at Sega CD launch…

if a developer makes a game which utilize both standard or motion control, it will raise the argument on why spend the extra cost for the peripheral when the games don't even require it! also, many of the folks who play on the 360 and PS3 tout that games are fine with traditional controls and that they don't need 'waggle play' MS and Sony seem to be trying to grasp the casual, part-time gamer market, but these people already have a Wii and they can't be bothered to buy another game machine, especially since they are the types who seldom play games and could do well with the one they already spent money on…

The problem with add-ons to a console is that developers who write for it are now making games for a part of a part of a market.

I think that both MS and Sony are doing this in preparation of rolling these features into their next consoles.