IGNORED

How do I identify a Made in USA Atari VCS?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum.

I'm currently seeking a heavy sixer that was made in Sunnyvale CA. I have a 2600 jr. that I've used for a long time but never a VCS. I really want an original American made heavy sixer.

How do I determine if it is indeed the American VCS? Is there "made in USA" somewhere molded on the plastic or on a sticker? Was the heavy sixer made in Japan or only USA and Taiwan? And finally are the American made power adaptors rare? Iv'e seen American, Japanese, and Taiwanese ones. What is the rarest and the most common place or origin for the plug.

What would be a reasonable price for one without a box?

Edited by 1984

There should be a white tag on the bottom that says something like "MFD. BY ATARI INC., SUNNYVALE, CA"

The power adapters are somewhat rare.

So if it says "Mfg by Atari Inc. Sunnyvale CA" its the American made model? The other VCS that I saw was made in Taiwan and said "Manufactured for Atari Inc. by TRW electronics. Usually on most things that I see there is also a lable somewhere that says "made in x".

Is there anywhere else on the system where it says anything about it if that lable happens to be damaged? Or at that point would it have to be opened up to determine origin.

Or can you determine the date and location of its manufacture using its serial number. Can you do that?

There should be a white tag on the bottom that says something like "MFD. BY ATARI INC., SUNNYVALE, CA"

The power adapters are somewhat rare.

So if it says "Mfg by Atari Inc. Sunnyvale CA" its the American made model? The other VCS that I saw was made in Taiwan and said "Manufactured for Atari Inc. by TRW electronics. Usually on most things that I see there is also a lable somewhere that says "made in x".

Is there anywhere else on the system where it says anything about it if that lable happens to be damaged? Or at that point would it have to be opened up to determine origin.

Or can you determine the date and location of its manufacture using its serial number. Can you do that?

Basically if the Atari in question is NOT a Heavy Sixer or a "Promotion Console only" Console then it WAS NOT made in the USA. The light sixers, The 4 Switch wood, 4 switch Vader, 2600 jr were all made in either Taiwan or Hong Kong.

For Store displays and CES shows they did make some 4 switch woodys in Sunnyvale, CA there are embossed with "Promotional Console Only" on the bottom and have yellow paint trim as opposed to orange. Also ALL of the Sunnyvale, CA models will have the White sticker on the bottom that says it was made in Sunnyvale, CA. Some say both like: "Atari Sunnyvale, CA .....Made in Taiwan" Obviously this unit was made in Taiwan/Hong Kong.

[quote name='SekOner' date='Fri Jul 9, 2010 8:14 PM' timestamp='1278720847' post='2047806'

The light sixers, The 4 Switch wood, 4 switch Vader, 2600 jr were all made in either Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Are you sure about light sixers and 4 switch woods not being made in USA in the beginning? I have one of each that has the Sunnyvale sticker on the bottom, and neither are promotional units.

What would be a reasonable price for one without a box?

Don't know for sure, everyone has their own idea on what to pay, but I have seen a few this past week or so go for $75-$250 on Ebay. No box. One was just the console, no controllers, etc, and that alone went for I think $99.

Are you sure about light sixers and 4 switch woods not being made in USA in the beginning? I have one of each that has the Sunnyvale sticker on the bottom, and neither are promotional units.

I think a few Lights may have been made in Sunnyvale, but I'm pretty positive that no 4-switchers other than the promos were made in sunnyvale.

Edited by SekOner

I think a few Lights may have been made in Sunnyvale, but I'm pretty positive that no 4-switchers other than the promos were made in sunnyvale.

There has been some discussion around the 4 switch Sunnyvale units here before. See link to 4 switch Sunnyvale thread.

It appears that many of the 4 switch Sunnyvale units were promo units, but not all. As I stated in that post, I have the original box for mine, and it doesn't say anything about it being a promo unit on the box or on the system itself. Benzmann66 states that he's seen many of these units, most had the yellow paint around the bezel and were promotional units, but not all.

Edited by shadowdoggie