IGNORED

H2

batari

A lot of work needs to be done, but it is currently playing Joust without a hitch.

This is very early in the dev cycle. These are not available for sale or beta testing, and there is no release date yet. Please ask questions here. Don't fill up my PM box with questions about purchasing, beta testing, release dates, or anything like that!

post-5792-127888114998_thumb.jpg

post-5792-127888116387_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Abso-freakin'-lutely AWSOME!

I bought my first 7800 because of the Harmony. I just can't wait for this release.

Will this also play 2600 games on the 7800 or will it be 7800 only?

Either way it's still awsome.

Thanks in advance batari!

Nice work. :)

Will you have the beta at CGE?

Mitch

If I can go :)

Abso-freakin'-lutely AWSOME!

I bought my first 7800 because of the Harmony. I just can't wait for this release.

Will this also play 2600 games on the 7800 or will it be 7800 only?

Either way it's still awsome.

Thanks in advance batari!

It will play 2600 and 7800 titles.

So I assume this is a CC2 equivalent looking at the first picture.

No, it will be better than the CC2 :) 8)

2010 is the year of the 7800!!! :-D

A lot of work needs to be done, but it is currently playing Joust without a hitch.

This is very early in the dev cycle. These are not available for sale or beta testing, and there is no release date yet. Please ask questions here. Don't fill up my PM box with questions about purchasing, beta testing, release dates, or anything like that!

No, it will be better than the CC2 :) 8)

How so?

Cheaper, will play games that the CC2 won't, software will work on all platforms, SD cards instead of MMC cards, no funky config files, autodetects bankswitching, easy setup: just copy files to SD and go, shows actual directories and filenames on SD, high-speed USB 2.0 port. Eessentially, it will do everything the CC2 can and more, and do it better.
  • Like 7

that looks awesome but what the fuck is it?

Only the answer to our prayers for people that can't get a CC2.

Check this thread for more details:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/115077-chimera-hybrid-game-system/page__st__25__p__1657511#entry1657511

How so?

I think it's going to be easier and cheaper to get these than the CC2. I think developers will find this very useful for developing new games.

@ Batari

Is this what Curt has been hinting at when he mentioned an "external CPU" for the 7800?

Edited by Bakasama

And for those of us folks lucky enough to have a CC2, will there be a reason to upgrade?

(I went on the long waiting list and shelled out my hard earned $$$ for the first run of the original and do not regret having it in the slightest!)

Nope, someone asked why the Expansion Module didn't have SD Card support and I mentioned that was something someone else was working on and I knew all about the Harmony 2 cart batari has been working on, but didn't want to say anything because that is his great project and it wasn't my place to spill the beans on it.

So these two products are going to massively advance the abilities of the 7800 and we need to really support the developers who will find themselves given all these great new abilities on the system so that they can do some truly outstanding new games and applications on the 7800 to really make it shine.

Curt

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/115077-chimera-hybrid-game-system/page__st__25__p__1657511#entry1657511

How so?

I think it's going to be easier and cheaper to get these than the CC2. I think developers will find this very useful for developing new games.

@ Batari

Is this what Curt has been hinting at when he mentioned an "external CPU" for the 7800?

How so?

@ Batari

Nope. I don't know what that is.

So if there's going to be a Harmony 2 someday, will there also be a Melody 2? :ponder:

Melody 2 didn't pencil out as the parts are too expensive. Maybe in a few years, MCUs with enough memory will be cheap enough, but not today.

And for those of us folks lucky enough to have a CC2, will there be a reason to upgrade?

(I went on the long waiting list and shelled out my hard earned $$$ for the first run of the original and do not regret having it in the slightest!)

The things I mentioned might be reasons to upgrade, but ease of use might be the biggest.

Oh, I guess I confused the CPU with the SD card feature. Since H2 has a spot for a pokey, which is for games that use a pokey, how does suppose interact with Expansion Module?

I don't know how the expansion module's POKEY will be set up, but H2 can disable its POKEY if needed. For that matter, I sort of hope the POKEY will only be needed on prototypes so we can replicate its sound functions on the MCU so no POKEY will actually be needed.

The Pokey on the Expansion Module is disabled by default and will only be enabled if a game or an application (or SIO peripheral) requires it.

Oh, I guess I confused the CPU with the SD card feature. Since H2 has a spot for a pokey, which is for games that use a pokey, how does suppose interact with Expansion Module?

I don't know how the expansion module's POKEY will be set up, but H2 can disable its POKEY if needed. For that matter, I sort of hope the POKEY will only be needed on prototypes so we can replicate its sound functions on the MCU so no POKEY will actually be needed.

Sounding good... as long as the scrolling through the games list is as quick as CC2 and not as slow as the original Harmony (especially going backwards).

will play games that the CC2 won't

Aside from the obvious Pitfall 2, CC2 can play everything else. Are we talking about games being developed in the future?