IGNORED

H2

batari

Thanks. I know it's only a matter of time

before krikzz does it. The guy is amazing.

He has an N64 cart coming next and that

was after a snes, sega master system, game gear

and genesis. All in like under a year. I'd like to

stick with Fred for this too, but I would

be hard pressed if krikzz did one. At the rate he

goes it would probably take him a couple months.

I personally don't like the way his carts work. Some of this is a matter of differing opinions about how a flashcart should be done, but some isn't.

I'm sure a 7800 version of his cart would work the same as his other carts. If I understand them right, the menu just flashes a game to the cart so it will boot as that game from then on. I prefer a cart with a menu that comes up every time, and if you really want to flash as a single game, you can but do it through USB (which is also very useful for development.)

Also, they are a bit barebones, the cheapest ones don't even come in a shell. He uses conventional hardware with his carts that requires a JTAG cable or mailing the cart back in to update the BIOS/firmware. And, some of his SD card slots are cheap and the card juts out too much, and don't some have internal cards? I am using quality push-push slots such as those found in cameras. Lastly, if he made a 7800 cart and it had a similar pricing structure, H2 would be cheaper for what you get (I won't sell any bare boards, BTW.)

Some of the features we plan to add to H2 are pretty neat, and I think you all will be impressed. It will be even easier to use than Harmony and more versatile.

Batari, I think you are mistaken.

The everdrive come without a shell to reduce costs, you can put it inside a shell when you get it. If you want it with a shell just go to stoneagegamer and buy the deluxe edition. All my carts have labels and boxes that I did myself.

You are right about how the menu work, the UI selects the game from the SD and flashs it to the cartridge bus, the same way Harmony does.

It's a matter of taste about how often you flash the game or if it holds it after the power off but the menu comes up every cycle power, if you want to flash another game just flash it.

USB is just useful for development for regular gamers it's useless, the good part is that you can select a version without to reduce even more the costs.

You are terrible wrong about updates, if you want to update just put the update file inside the cartridge and update it. Mega Drive Everdrive just got FAT32 and SDHC support this week.

Finally for the SD slot, I know the SD slot of the Harmony is a lot better but to be honest, I never pushed the SD card back to upload more roms, when you have it done with the whole library of games, you will never touch it again. Once in a while you find some homebrew but this is really rare, at least for myself.

I just want to be clear that my intention is not to work as a propaganda for the Everdrive but I don't like to read information that I don't think it's accurate.

I'm sure the Cuttle Cart 2 was capable for its day. Relative to the H2, it will suck. SD cards over flash memory is a vast improvement.

I own a Krok Kart. I haven't touched it since I purchased a Harmony.

Batari, I think you are mistaken.

The everdrive come without a shell to reduce costs, you can put it inside a shell when you get it. If you want it with a shell just go to stoneagegamer and buy the deluxe edition. All my carts have labels and boxes that I did myself.

I understand the reasoning, and while that allows you to get an Everdrive for $80-$85, I personally would never do that.

You are terrible wrong about updates, if you want to update just put the update file inside the cartridge and update it. Mega Drive Everdrive just got FAT32 and SDHC support this week.

I think you must be talking about the OS, and some Everdrives allow you to do this. Regardless, firmware must be flashed with a JTAG cable, and a good JTAG cable costs about as much as the Everdrive itself. H2 allows firmware upgrades through USB.

BTW, Harmony has always supported FAT32 and SDHC from the very beginning.

The Cuttle Cart 2 absolutely does not suck, and GeoHot didn't do anything relevant. He copied other peoples work.

I agree with this sentiment. A 7800 Everdrive would likely be not as good as a CC2. The CC2 is a very hard act to follow.

And Geohot did relevant work with iPhones. He's pretty smart, but stupid at the same time for not doing his hacking anonymously.

Edited by batari

A few people have bugged Krikzz about doing a 7800 Everdrive. He has rarely responded directly to those requests, and has said nothing about it otherwise. Never seemed to be all that interested in Atari systems. His menus are rough, but his carts have great functionality and he's always open to improvements based on suggestions. Usually, after a cart of his has been out a few months, there's rarely a reason to do a firmware update via JTAG. In fact, most of those were on the original Genesis Everdrive because he was still perfecting a lot of the features he now has for all carts.

Don't get all your panties in a bunch. Igor won't be doing a 7800 everdrive. Period. Not a big enough audience. He does these things to make money. The 7800 collector market is just way too small, and the number of games total doesn't make it worth it for him. wiht him, it's not a labor of love like the CC2 or the Harmony cart, being made by true Atari aficionados like Chad Schell and batari.

• 3 months later...

You know, this has probably been asked, but will the H2 be 7800 games only or will it do 2600 games as well? (naturally, as a 7800 cart, it wouldn't work in a 2600, but the dual functionality would be nice) I already own a harmony, but it would be cool to just be able to use one cart for everything.

I'm totally grooving on this project.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Work will progress on H2 again shortly. I have not been able to work on it since the summertime as I've had some pressing RL issues. However, the project is not dead and I anticipate more time this winter as RL issues are being resolved. I hope to have something to demonstrate at a show in 2012. No dates, no promises... It's done when it's done!

• Like 4