IGNORED

NEW OLD GAME FOR ATARI JAGUAR

Gaztee

I understand Aircars '94, this release, does have several differences compared to the ICD version.

Read some more about it here, Zero: http://www.jaguarsector.com/index.php?showtopic=31210&st=0&start=0

Is it possible to use it in a network with either variant of the released version ?

The answer is:

I have the original ICD version of Aircars. Can AC94 and ICD AC be networked?

No they can't icd-icd, ka-ka & 94-94 there is not intercompatability between the different versions of the game!
  • Like 2

Can someone explain to me the benefits of owning such a poorly programmed, disgustingly ugly, unofficial Jaguar game? This is not a comment on the packaging, as that is the only good thing about it.

I apologize for the harshness, but the past couple of years the Jaguar has become a horrible breeding ground for people to just advertise and release any piece of shit they can come up with. Oh boy a beta of Aircars, BFD.

Edited by Gunstarhero
  • Like 10

Can someone explain to me the benefits of owning such a poorly programmed, disgustingly ugly, unofficial Jaguar game? This is not a comment on the packaging, as that is the only good thing about it.

I think the answer is in your sig:

Collecting games is fun.

There's not much stuff to collect for the Jaguar once all the regular releases are in the bag, so something like this, while it isn't going to be interesting to everyone (compared to a brand new game or an unreleased beta of one of the better Jaguar games), is still going to be a welcome release for plenty of people. At the end of the day, it's made by fans for fans - that's good enough for me & it's all good practice for possible future releases ;)

You're right on the packaging - top notch materials & finish, probably a big factor in the cost I should think, that kind of quality doesn't come cheap.

I'm not so sure about the jaguar being a horrible breeding ground for what you suggest though - I can't think of too many releases of any type, betas/new stuff/anything, that could be described as 'any piece of shit they can come up with', that seems a little unfair ;)

While it might not be a AAA or even A-game for the Jaguar (I've never even seen/played Aircars but I have seen the comments!) the lads behind this release have gone to a lot of trouble to share something with everyone in quite a professional/unique way. Personally, not being a collector or made of money, I'd have liked to have seen a binary release for the non-collector-but-still-interested people such as myself for their skunkboards/flashcarts. Maybe if I begged Marco for long & hard enough he'd let me have a look ;) I did intend to buy it but that was before I realised just how expensive making Jaguar cartridges is & what the cost would be (when it comes to games, I sort of think of everything in terms of how many £17.99 PS3 games I could buy for the same money and I've spent over £300 on jag hardware this past month or so, that's me done for a wee while).

Plus, if we were to outlaw all the games people don't think are worthy of the ossom 64-bit Interactive Multimedia System, there would be huge holes in every collection out there :) I'm just glad there's not been a hoard of pitchfork-wielding Jaguar Police waving their anti-:ahoy: flags as they have in the past given half a chance... seems that sector of the Jaguar community has possibly come to its senses.

• Like 6

Personally I really like Aircars despite its ugly graphics and has got alot of play from me over the years. I think Aircars, like alot of Jag games, gets alot of unjustified criticism off people who like to rag on the Jag and have never even played it. I like it alot more than some so called "must have" games for the Jag.

• Like 1

I think the answer is in your sig:

Collecting games is fun.

There's not much stuff to collect for the Jaguar once all the regular releases are in the bag, so something like this, while it isn't going to be interesting to everyone (compared to a brand new game or an unreleased beta of one of the better Jaguar games), is still going to be a welcome release for plenty of people. At the end of the day, it's made by fans for fans - that's good enough for me & it's all good practice for possible future releases ;)

You're right on the packaging - top notch materials & finish, probably a big factor in the cost I should think, that kind of quality doesn't come cheap.

I'm not so sure about the jaguar being a horrible breeding ground for what you suggest though - I can't think of too many releases of any type, betas/new stuff/anything, that could be described as 'any piece of shit they can come up with', that seems a little unfair ;)

While it might not be a AAA or even A-game for the Jaguar (I've never even seen/played Aircars but I have seen the comments!) the lads behind this release have gone to a lot of trouble to share something with everyone in quite a professional/unique way. Personally, not being a collector or made of money, I'd have liked to have seen a binary release for the non-collector-but-still-interested people such as myself for their skunkboards/flashcarts. Maybe if I begged Marco for long & hard enough he'd let me have a look ;) I did intend to buy it but that was before I realised just how expensive making Jaguar cartridges is & what the cost would be (when it comes to games, I sort of think of everything in terms of how many £17.99 PS3 games I could buy for the same money and I've spent over £300 on jag hardware this past month or so, that's me done for a wee while).

Plus, if we were to outlaw all the games people don't think are worthy of the ossom 64-bit Interactive Multimedia System, there would be huge holes in every collection out there :) I'm just glad there's not been a hoard of pitchfork-wielding Jaguar Police waving their anti-:ahoy: flags as they have in the past given half a chance... seems that sector of the Jaguar community has possibly come to its senses.

Thanks for that!! :thumbsup:

We know that Aircars is NOT the best game for the Jaguar, & we are not daft enough to know that sooner or later the image will end up out there! So we have tried to produce a cart that looks unique, a manual & an overlay that looks authentic & heck aircars with a freaking box!! :D There has to be something extra that you don't get by having a ROM on a HD somewhere! I've played the game 'quite a lot' & it really does have a different feel to it over the other versions. And its this fact more than anything that makes it worth playing. Its interesting to see how the game evolved from this to the final release!

TBH we would like to have had the price lower, but it cost a lot more than I thought to pull this altogether. What we do have now though is a way to build authentic boxes for future release is they want it. The same goes for overlays & manual. We could have gone for a colour manual, but wanted that Jaguar b&w look & feel to it!

At the end of the Day Marco wanted this game out in the wild for as many people as possible to play. IF we manage to sell out the first 50, we can make more as all the hard work has been done. If we don't then at least we have tried to do a good thing for the community & made one Italian a happy man!! ;)

Edited by Gaztee
  • Like 4

I apologize for the harshness, but the past couple of years the Jaguar has become a horrible breeding ground for people to just advertise and release any piece of shit they can come up with. Oh boy a beta of Aircars, BFD.

Now, don't be shy... tell us what you really think! :D

My only experience playing the icd release of aircars was at the very first JagFest UK, where myself and Stone sat down to have a networked game, and could not stop laughing at how awful the game was the whole way through. From the massive grey boulders that loom over your car when it's damaged (smoke?) to the absurdity of the two giant towers (dubbed the two dildos) that you fly through when you exit the level, to the way that in order to draw a border round the radar mini-map, the developers drew this massive red line on the ground in the game world, everything about that game just seemed poorly done.

However, having said that, the 3D was fairly good (except for the aforementioned giant boulders of smoke), the networking seemed solid, and, by playing it networked, we didn't really get much idea of the single player gameplay. I don't think it should be dismissed so quickly. If you can look past it's problems, it looked like it had the potential to be a pretty good game, and this release certainly doesn't seem unreasonable. Producing cartridges is hard work, especially producing BOXED cartridges, and I think £50 is a very reasonable price.

• Like 5

I'm with ya. I dont want anything to do with this.

I'll be buying one for sure, then again I buy just about anything Jaguar related, people complained about the B&C version of Aircars.

With this release at least you get a professional looking box, manual, overlay and cart for your money. £50 may seem a lot of money

for a game. The B&C version costs $45 and that was just the cart and manual. If you want this version then buy it, if not dont. simples..

• Like 3

I don't know why the haters would post in a thread about something they don't like, will not be buying and have zero interest in, other than to bring the people who are excited about this down and to start shit/make us feel bad for wanting to buy this. Why do you bother to post your negativity? -keep it to your own damn selves. The old saying is, "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."

post-9089-127924384498_thumb.jpg

post-9089-127924387218_thumb.jpg

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 2

I don't know why the haters would post in a thread about something they don't like, will not be buying and have zero interest in, other than to bring the people who are excited about this down and to start shit/make us feel bad for wanting to buy this. Why do you bother to post your negativity? -keep it to your own damn selves. The old saying is, "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."

I think one has to differentiate a bit more.

I don't see anything wrong with somebody speaking out his mind since this is what a forum is for. So there is no reason to tell people to shut their mouth.

On the other side, it's true that people who criticize something have to consider their tone. I think it should be evident that Gaztee and his friends are releasing this to get something out to the community and do us a favour so I wouldn't accuse them of making money whith "advertise and release any piece of shit they can come up with"

(if anything then I would rather see the B&C release in that category)

It's really simple. There are people out there who like stuff like that and others who don't. There is no point in arguing here. Don't like it, don't buy.

Me for example I can't justify any money for a game like Aircars which bored me to death but I can appreciate the work that went into this release and really like the new box, manual and overlay.So I consider this a good thing even if I don't buy the game.

• Like 4

Most people should know I'm far from a Jaguar hater, I've been here quite a while now, and I quietly have probably one of the better Jaguar collections around. I'm going to continue to tell it how I see it. I had no idea what was going to be inside this thread, you can't tell from the title alone, so, much to my chagrin I am greeted with yet another product unworthy of my hard earned dollars.

I mean does the Jaguar really need more trash? I just cannot see the point in Fight for Life beta, or Aircars beta. What's next? Checkered Flag beta in a gold cartridge? I'll complain about that one too. You look at the Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800, the homebrewers and reproductions are still good quality, fun games. Sinistar 5200 for example is a known, good game worthy of excitement and praise. Aircars is a known bottom of the barrel Jaguar game, what the heck do I want a beta version of it for? All it does is drag the image of the Jaguar even further down. I was so happy and excited when Total Carnage was released, it's just depressing those days are gone.

• Like 2

OK, True That, I hear you and can agree. It's just that other than the cool games from Reboot that have been released there just isn't much other quality stuff being released for the Jaguar. I'm quite disappointed about the several years now red tape holdup of the fucking Robinson's Requiem CD by Carl, and all the other various game cancellations of releases because of piracy threats/developer wars, etc. So I guess I just said fuckit I'll take what hell I can get at this point. :( Seems I'm not one of the privileged Jaguarfan elite to be trusted with the rare things(programs) that few people have.

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 3

Congratulations on the great looking and professional packaging! :)

While I personally don't care much for the proto itself, I think it's amazing to hear that you found a good way to produce original looking Jaguar packaging and I can imagine how much effort and money that costs to get together. Hats off to you.

And while I don't buy unreleased protos such as AvP, IS, BIWN, FFL, Spacewar, all those sports games that are produced and sold, I hate to see these dual standards. On one hand people are happy about these releases I just mentioned and at least show their appreciation, if not celebrate the releases. On the other hand, I see this very negative feedback from a few people on this release. What's up with that?

I think this release looks a lot more professional in terms of packaging, manual and so on.

Just like I don't understand why some people are actually flaming new games if it's not their cup of tea...

If you don't like it, fine, but why is it necessary to badmouth the hard work involved?

There are many games out there I can't stand, but others love them. They know what they're buying and they know what they're getting. If they enjoy it, fine. I don't see a point to badmouth it, if it's just not my cup of tea. The least I can do is appreciate the hard work.

What I'm trying to say is, while aircars is not my kind of game and I don't have the money to spend on it, I know there are people who like this release. Even if it's just curiosity, for collecting sake or to support the hard work that went into the authentic packaging. I appreciate this work that was done for the community and the least anyone could do is show their support or let those who enjoy it, well, enjoy it.

• Like 8

What I'm trying to say is, while aircars is not my kind of game and I don't have the money to spend on it, I know there are people who like this release. Even if it's just curiosity, for collecting sake or to support the hard work that went into the authentic packaging. I appreciate this work that was done for the community and the least anyone could do is show their support or let those who enjoy it, well, enjoy it.

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

I had no idea what was going to be inside this thread, you can't tell from the title alone, so, much to my chagrin I am greeted with yet another product unworthy of my hard earned dollars.

What about the hard earned dollars/pounds/euros of the people that put this together? Its considerably more than the asking price for a single cart. There are upfront costs for any project like this.

I fully accept that prototypes aren't for everybody but how about looking at it from a different perspective? If you had personally backed a retro computer/console project (think a very small and limited market) and people started saying you've wasted your time, its crap, etc. etc. and its something you believed in I doubt you'd want to do another one.

• Like 5