IGNORED

A new idea

emkay

The style of this tune sounds interesting. Not only the style of the instruments, but I mean also the melodic style. There aren't many other pokey tunes using this style.

But, sometimes the synth melody instrument sounds like it's in the wrong key. So, some transpose would be needed. Then it surely deserves a recording. However, maybe you could decide to keep it this way, as now it gives some kind of exotic atmosphere.

The most interesting is that the notes always sound in the correct pitch, at least comparing to the best approximation pokey can do. So, no pitch-corrections are needed, which is another way to say that many other pokey tunes are missing the right treatment.

The style of this tune sounds interesting. Not only the style of the instruments, but I mean also the melodic style. There aren't many other pokey tunes using this style.

But, sometimes the synth melody instrument sounds like it's in the wrong key. So, some transpose would be needed. Then it surely deserves a recording. However, maybe you could decide to keep it this way, as now it gives some kind of exotic atmosphere.

Well, the notes are as imported by RMT. Some notes are just "spare parts" to the real note FX that were still missing.

The most interesting is that the notes always sound in the correct pitch, at least comparing to the best approximation pokey can do. So, no pitch-corrections are needed, which is another way to say that many other pokey tunes are missing the right treatment.

This is a simple fact of the used tech. Filter voice is at the double frequency of the base voice. The 2 tones set do a defined timing, adjusts all sounds inbetween. Put it an octave higher, the low sound still sounds familiar with the high sound of the base octave.

Edited by emkay

To go a step further in this direction, I'd need some other patched version of RMT.

Well, Filter and 16 Bit does not work any good together. So it would be nice to have an RMT (1.28) version that uses generator 2 and 1.79MHz plus the corrected notation table for this combination, instead of the 16 bit "basses".

Gen 4 , B, and C should be untouched.

Mux? Is this possible or too much work on this?

I suppose you mean in 64khz mode, am I right?

I'm not sure, but the gen2@1.79mhz instrument notation table fits better in 15khz mode, due to some rounding problems. One of my latest attempts to patch RMT tables was already based on adding the gen2@1.79mhz instrument notation table to 64khz clocking, but some more notes have a slightly wrong pitch. One way to solve this would be recomputing ALL tables to obtain a 'best fit' tuning, but this will need some heavy work. F.e. least-squares method could help there.

I'm not sure, but the gen2@1.79mhz instrument notation table fits better in 15khz mode, due to some rounding problems. One of my latest attempts to patch RMT tables was already based on adding the gen2@1.79mhz instrument notation table to 64khz clocking, but some more notes have a slightly wrong pitch. One way to solve this would be recomputing ALL tables to obtain a 'best fit' tuning, but this will need some heavy work. F.e. least-squares method could help there.

I could be enough to use Raster's "sharp channel 1" instrument proposal

Note +2 Pitch -2 (FE)

The essential spot is to switch to 1.79MHz (and back) on the envelope.

OK, here are some recordings:

Sometimes I wonder myself, why doing this stuff ;)

Knowing the limits of POKEY and the even less features in RMT. But it always seems interesting, to have the result of the "possible".

Listening to the original MOD, it plays "Melodies" every programming cycle" (1/50 seconds) while often in the RMT for 2 complete vbi cycles "nothing is played"....

The harder bread ;) ..... the tune uses many one-note - different pitch recording - instruments. And in all it's complexity, this time, the tune is veeeeeryyyyyyy looooong ;)

I have further ideas to enhance the tune without higher cpu usage. If only the clock changing in the envelope was enabled....

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bpos/atari/rte.mp3

This one needs the correct manipulations. But to have this, again "1000s" of different instruments with different commands .... would ecxeed the 64k limit ;)

In some parts it sounds rather good even without those special manipulations of the instruments.

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bpos/atari/alimente.mp3

Some changes on the baseline....

Not the best result, but worth a listen.... i think ... ;)

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bpos/atari/ricks.mp3

• Like 1

I could be enough to use Raster's "sharp channel 1" instrument proposal

Note +2 Pitch -2 (FE)

The essential spot is to switch to 1.79MHz (and back) on the envelope.

Well, I hope not to disappoint you, but I'd need to refresh my memory about how to do an RMT hack. And, last year I already wrote I did enough hacks.

I'm also a bit busy these days, going to move to another E.U. country very soon.

Let's say, just be patient ;) ...there's a chance fooling with RMT isn't needed anymore in the near future. Possibly a better solution with full control over pokey....who knows??? ;) :ponder:

Edited by analmux

Well, I hope not to disappoint you, but I'd need to refresh my memory about how to do an RMT hack. And, last year I already wrote I did enough hacks.

No problem. Anyways, thanks for recording.

The modulations really sound stable. In the "Alimente" Tune, some notes need to be adjusted (the instrument's face changes) by a different timing, the result is good enough for demonstration purpose.

Ricks sounds better than I expected.

"RTE" , well..... just some digi sounds, particular for the bassguitar.....icon_ponder.gif

The "ricks" tune.... well.... from the real thing, the basses grow on me.... it's fun to listen to it. They are noisy, but the correctness is stunning, played by pokey. This quick restart seems to work on some tunes very well. It sounds like a modulated bass....

So in this tune , I made it one step louder and the lead one step lower. And at the end of the tune some timing test icon_wink.gif

Let's check it on the real thing icon_smile.gif

Ricks1.xex

Edited by emkay

That's pretty cool, although IMO it needs to play a little faster.

NTSC - too fast, so probably midpoint between the 2 systems.

Yeah.... it really sounds as relaxed as Reggae is supposed to :)

Faster, well, not possible here. The instrumets would play too short then. A faster initializing of the generators would help much.

• 2 weeks later...

It's still a small miracle that it's possible to generate sound (also lower notes) with sawtooth-alike character. It already sounds very close to a real sawtooth. If only the programming manuals would have included this knowledge when describing pokey features (30 years ago)...

When finetuning this one: The fast clean-squarewave-melody is far too loud, so you could put down the volume.

Edited by analmux

It's still a small miracle that it's possible to generate sound (also lower notes) with sawtooth-alike character. It already sounds very close to a real sawtooth. If only the programming manuals would have included this knowledge when describing pokey features (30 years ago)...

When finetuning this one: The fast clean-squarewave-melody is far too loud, so you could put down the volume.

What about some additional recording of the last 3 tunes ;)

The sound is intentionally kept louder.

What about some additional recording of the last 3 tunes ;)

The sound is intentionally kept louder.

Very nice songs :) question emkay how you do make these songs did you use other tools ?

RTM i now the program but do you use a other program or you are musicial :)

Maybe goof Manual wich can help me out with it.

Very nice songs icon_smile.gif question emkay how you do make these songs did you use other tools ?

RTM i now the program but do you use a other program or you are musicial icon_smile.gif

Maybe goof Manual wich can help me out with it.

The songs originate from AMIGA MOD files. After importing them into RMT the patterns have to be sorted to fit to the possible combinations of POKEY sounds. That would be the most work.

To add the "enhanced" sounds, sometimes listening to a tune "for hours" is needed , to adjust the timing , volume, whatever.

(still dreaming of a POKEY tracker with direct-timing-adjustment support)

Possibly, it may help , to create some video that shows adjustments and plays the resulting sounds, for a better understanding. But the POKEY emulation in RMT isn't that stable and may suggest wrong results to the viewer.

Possibly, it may help , to create some video that shows adjustments and plays the resulting sounds, for a better understanding. But the POKEY emulation in RMT isn't that stable and may suggest wrong results to the viewer.

You are talking about a tutorial vid like the one from teh "Druid 2 pic" thread, I think from irgendwer? That would be awesome. Please do it. I don't care about the POKEY emulation. I have a SIO2PC cable now and my 800XL right next to me on the desk :)

You are talking about a tutorial vid like the one from teh "Druid 2 pic" thread, I think from irgendwer? That would be awesome. Please do it. I don't care about the POKEY emulation. I have a SIO2PC cable now and my 800XL right next to me on the desk icon_smile.gif

What's the best solution for recording a video + audio track to upload it to youtube?

Btw.... another tune. Just imagine an - on the fly changing of the waveforms. This one plays still a straight programmed wave ....

loader64khz.xex

You are talking about a tutorial vid like the one from teh "Druid 2 pic" thread, I think from irgendwer? That would be awesome. Please do it. I don't care about the POKEY emulation. I have a SIO2PC cable now and my 800XL right next to me on the desk icon_smile.gif

What's the best solution for recording a video + audio track to upload it to youtube?

Btw.... another tune. Just imagine an - on the fly changing of the waveforms. This one plays still a straight programmed wave ....

very nice sound :)

ask irgendwer how he make video for youtube :)