IGNORED

A new idea

emkay

why not?

The originals are 256x192 hires with horrific colourclash, there's c64 conversions which are the same sized screens and added surrounds + sprites to avoid the colourclash (so there's some 6502 out there to hack about). It should be well inside the A8s comfort zone.

The only downside I can see is that Codemasters are insanely protective of those games (even today), so you'd be better doing a similar game rather than porting an actual dizzy game.

why not?

The originals are 256x192 hires with horrific colourclash, there's c64 conversions which are the same sized screens and added surrounds + sprites to avoid the colourclash (so there's some 6502 out there to hack about). It should be well inside the A8s comfort zone.

The only downside I can see is that Codemasters are insanely protective of those games (even today), so you'd be better doing a similar game rather than porting an actual dizzy game.

I am more worried of not having no-one to get the A8 coding.

I have tried some things on the past and have some Material and ways of, but...

About CodeMasters I don't see any problem about Dizzy, there are a large number of new versions for P.C./ZX/...I've seen a dedicate site of Dizzy with all this Games but can't remember the Name...

José Pereira.

probably be okay then - I just wouldn't want someone to put all that effort in and then get trampled on at the last minute.

I've been tempted to do a dizzy-like game for ages but I've not got much free time at the moment and they seem to be gaming Marmite so I'm not sure (assuming I do a decent enough job) if people would like it or not. Are people generally pro- or anti-Dizzy? because I actually liked them...

Edited by sack-c0s

probably be okay then - I just wouldn't want someone to put all that effort in and then get trampled on at the last minute.

I've been tempted to do a dizzy-like game for ages but I've not got much free time at the moment and they seem to be gaming Marmite so I'm not sure (assuming I do a decent enough job) if people would like it or not. Are people generally pro- or anti-Dizzy? because I actually liked them...

Just try to start a Poll here...

I also would like to see if people want to really see Dizzy on A8!...

I think it's not a great Game... Great story behind...

If I was from BBC or APPLE I probably wouldn't bother of having Dizzy or not...

On A8 it's just the technical Hi-Resolution... just this...

I tried some Dizzy(s) on the past and it is possible to get a very good on A8... a little more problematic than a standard platform like Manic Miner, because Gfxs. (Trees, Bridges,...) aren't blocks/cells like platforms and this is not simple to colour in A8 Hi-Resolution.

But nothing is impossible, once more I offer my work if someone is interested in porting Dizzy into A8.

I would get first and simple DIZZY1 (Music we have from Emkay, that's a start...), because we could probably get a kind of a ConstructionSet to get other ones.

That would be a very addictive solution: DIZZY1 with Construction Kit.

Anyone wants to get DIZZY into A8?

Greets.

José Pereira.

We should not talk bout Dizzy in this thread.

But, never played it, just watched some vids now (C64 ones) and it would be hard to get it colored properly with PMG.

You have to give it to the C64, the possibility to mix hi-res and lo-res and color hi-res is awesome.

If the A8 port would be BW only, I don't think i would play it :(

We should not talk bout Dizzy in this thread.

Exactly. Let's get back to the topic.

US3.xex

It's not perfect, but what is perfect, when it comes to POKEY music ;)

At least put into the 3 channel tune:

Deeper basses, no cancelling at the filter and .... ofcourse ..... modulations that do not yell ;)

@ emkay

Listening to some of your other recent test-tunes, I'd need to say, I expected more quality. This time, lack of full quality is not really caused by limits of RMT. Volume balance still needs a lot of work. The same with timing: relative timing between the various instruments. And, by the way, I'd do it all in 15khz mode. Just to gain a somewhat heavier atmosphere. EDIT: And possibly I'd do it in 100Hz (double-frame-speed) mode.

Edited by analmux

@ emkay

Listening to some of your other recent test-tunes, I'd need to say, I expected more quality. This time, lack of full quality is not really caused by limits of RMT. Volume balance still needs a lot of work. The same with timing: relative timing between the various instruments. And, by the way, I'd do it all in 15khz mode. Just to gain a somewhat heavier atmosphere. EDIT: And possibly I'd do it in 100Hz (double-frame-speed) mode.

See it as a 1st try. It was a hard thing to put all those tracks to 3 . The final may have the correct name then ;)

One "unsolvable" problem is still the not existing timing correction that makes 2 envelope steps needed to create it. Double Speed, why not. But 1st I want to try to have it at one VBI speed working.

I'm also thinking about getting rid of the pure Filter sound...... But, as you know, as soon as you activate the 2nd channel, filter manipulations stop, and you have to create all with "endless" instrument addings.

... But, as you know, as soon as you activate the 2nd channel, filter manipulations stop, and you have to create all with "endless" instrument addings.

I don't know. I don't see any problems. At least if we're talking about the same thing: if we choose a 'filter'/'pulsewave' instrument on channel 1&3, and if we also want to turn on the volume of channel 3. This shouldn't make any difference. By the way, your "Dizzy" tryout exactly shows this.

... But, as you know, as soon as you activate the 2nd channel, filter manipulations stop, and you have to create all with "endless" instrument addings.

I don't know. I don't see any problems. At least if we're talking about the same thing: if we choose a 'filter'/'pulsewave' instrument on channel 1&3, and if we also want to turn on the volume of channel 3. This shouldn't make any difference. By the way, your "Dizzy" tryout exactly shows this.

The tune has many very short played notes in it. To do all needed steps, as needed, you simply would not hear them, because the next note gets played before all "setup" is done. I'm looking for a compromise ;)

...and remember (in theory: on the real machine or with a tracker which supports decent pulsewave control and 100% emulation):

Pulsewidth offset is needed only once, not everytime a note starts....but, then another approach of handling pokey is needed, so that's indeed related to RMT limits.

This one I name Unreal Superhero 3 ;)

Thank you for taking the time to make your own conversion of this marvelous piece of music originally done and named by

!

Please don't take it personal, but I think the latest version posted earlier by board member kjmann has more energy and comes closer to the original (just for comparism conversion by kjmann).

But nice try, though! ;)