IGNORED

MyIDE internal, MyIDE Cart, SIO2SD or other

rchennau

Which memory device should I purchase for my XL?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which memory device should I purchase?

• MyIDE internal from AtariMax
    • MyIDE Cart from AtariMax
    • SIO2SD (various)
    • SIO2PC USB from AtariMax (I have it)
    • Stick with floppies and your 1050!
    • Other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I can't decide.

I like the mobility of the MyIDE internal plus it leaves the cartridge port open for something else.

I like the MyIDE Cart because it is guaranteed to work and no soldering required but that doesn't scare me anymore.

I like the SIO2SD but money + time + SIO cable kinds of turns me off.

I love my SIO2PC USB and now that I have it paired with my Belken HomeBase station I can access my atari data collection wirelessly.

I don't know about other... might be good. Don't know. ;)

Aside from the SIO2PC, which is a must for any Atari 8-bit hobbyist, I think it depends on how important a couple of factors are for you:

1. compatibility with software

Most compatible are the SIO based devices, since to the computer this is a normal disk drive. Least compatible is the cartridge version of MyIDE, since it requires using the RAM under the OS on the XL/XE series and patching the OS SIO vector.

2. mobility to other machines

SIO devices and MyIDE cartridge are the most mobile obviously.

3. cartridge port usage

With the MyIDE internal version, you can use the cartridge port to run SpartaDOS X (with the latest version of the MyIDE OS that has Percom block support). Some people use the cartridge port for other things, like programming language carts, but I personally never do that. I also dislike having my hard drive attached on a cart sticking out the top of the XL, although a MyIDE cart with a Transcend IDE module or CompactFlash adapter is pretty simple and compact.

4. estethics/cleaniness of setup

Internal devices such as the MyIDE internal are nice and clean, and if you don't have a lot of room, or want the clutter of a bunch of SIO peripherals, this might be important for you. Personally, I no longer have the room to have my Atari stuff setup all the time, so it's important to minimize the "stuff" that I have to hook up when I want to use the 8-bit.

SIO2SD (and/or Sdrive) in comparison to MyIDE seems like apples and oranges to me.

Uh, my foot is in my mouth, and my ignorance may be showing. I really don't know squat about MyIDE. I just saw "IDE" (a long time ago, mind you) and assumed this was some kind of hard drive - presumably to be used with SpartaDos (or whatever) like any Atari hard drive.

Now I think I am seeing that this is a device to load ATRs????? So this is a floppy emulator-type device? I'm confused. All the discussion on MyIDE always seems to assume everyone is familar with it. If this thing is used with ATRs then it is NOT apples to oranges. Anybody have a top-down description of EXACTLY what the hell MyIDE is, because I thinking I have this all wrong.

Apologies and gratitude to you.

Now I think I am seeing that this is a device to load ATRs????? So this is a floppy emulator-type device? I'm confused. All the discussion on MyIDE always seems to assume everyone is familar with it. If this thing is used with ATRs then it is NOT apples to oranges. Anybody have a top-down description of EXACTLY what the hell MyIDE is, because I thinking I have this all wrong.

The basics of it is that it is a device to connect a standard IDE drive to your Atari computer. Mr.Atari has written "drivers" (a modified OS) that provides both the functions you ask about above. You can create partitions that can be accessed like regular disks/hard drives, and there is also a special section and facility to boot disk images.

Another thing to consider is speed.

The SIO2PC, SIO2SD and S-Drive devices are limited by the SIO bus speed. The MyIDE can be faster because it only limited in how fast the 6502 can read from the IDE bus.

But SIO devices are more compatible than MyIDE because they don't reply on a modified OS. But MyIDE compatibility can be increased by using the internal MyIDE OS instead of the soft-loaded MyIDE OS (the cart version).

With the internal MyIDE I had very little compatibility problems but I must note that I only tried a small selection of the thousands of disk images out there.

I myself use an internal MyIDE (with CF-CARD) with the internal MyIDE OS. If you have the MyIDE flash cart I suggest you add a switchable OS rom (like the AtariMax 32-in-1) to improve compatibility.

Robert

I have an external MyIDE set-up (kindly donated) but I still haven't got it running because I don't have the right OS ROM and a soft OS is next to useless for me (I still don't have an EPROM eraser). If anyone has a MyIDE external (cart) OS ROM... :)

MyIDE seems inherently invasive because of the modded OS, but I look forward to trying it. Anything parallel device which doesn't need a hacked operating system is going to be preferable to me (i.e. SpeedDrive). IDEa and BlackBox would have been desirable, were they available. However, SIO bit rates have now been coaxed up to such high speeds that I don't think you're taking such a great performance hit with SIO-based devices. I use my SIO2SD at divisor 3 with SpartaDOS X and it cracks along.

I also use a home-built SIO2PC interface which I would not be without. SIO2SD and SIO2PC are the two most essential peripheral devices I have.

Nothing stays the same for long, though. Ask again in a month or two! :)

I have an external MyIDE set-up (kindly donated) but I still haven't got it running because I don't have the right OS ROM and a soft OS is next to useless for me (I still don't have an EPROM eraser). If anyone has a MyIDE external (cart) OS ROM... :)

What size of blank ROM do you need? If I have them here I could blank a couple and send 'em your way if it helps?

I can't vote, because i have not enough experiences with the various Storage-Devices.

I have for a few days receive my first SIO2PC-Device (the USB-Edition) and try something with APE (Trial).

SIO2PC with the right Software have the benefit, that it is possible to reach also other Devices e.g. Printer or Modem(Telnet) via a PC.

Is only a Storage-Devices needed, actual i would buy a SIO2SD, i think in compatibility with the original OS.

About the MyIDE-Interface in any kind i have not enough Informations (Usability/Compatibility), but i would use it only with CompactFlash-Cards (via Adapter). Where can i get more Informations about the conditions of MyIDE?

I very interested i the announced SpeedDrive.

Edited by EightBitWitch

I have all the above, as well as the KMK/IDEa PBI device. and I have to say I like them all for different reasons

1) SDrive & SIO2SD, probably my favorite for stand alone use (i.e. don't have to be attached to the PC). Both are fast enough for me and swapping around SD cards is easy. Plus being able to just drag and drop on the PC and then put into the drive is awesome as opposed to the MyIDE devices (You can use software to load onto a CF card via the PC, but it's nowhere near as simple as with the SD interaces)

2) SIO2PC, super easy to use, and super easy to build. my first device and the one I still use to this day on my main machine (primarily due to proximity) and it also allows for me to hook it up to my Lantonix MSS100 so I can do Telnet.

3) MyIDE Internal, I use This rarely, and in fact am About to pull it from the 800xl and see if I can get it into an XEGS I have so I can use that primarily as a stand alone console. it's tricky to set up but once it's working it's fairly stable. Although you do need the modified OS to make it run.

4) MyIDE+ Flash Cart, my second device and I loved it until I got the Sdrive, changing the files on the card is always a pain and I just prefer the ease of use of the SDrive, you mention that you like the portability of the Cart, BUT the Sdrive is just as portable it's light and fairly compact.

5) 1050 & Disks, obviously this is the least favorite option, but I do still use it from time to time. I have a ton of PD software and commercial software on disk and occasionally get nostalgic to try it out.

6) Other, I have the KMK/IDEa device and I enjoy it for it's speed, it's a PBI device that allows you to run IDE devices much like the MyIDE. Probably not something you would be looking for though as it is fairly large and takes up some room directly behind the Atari. It's a cool little gadget though, I'm thinking of putting one in a 1050 case with a real hard drive, just for fun.

I have all the above, as well as the KMK/IDEa PBI device. and I have to say I like them all for different reasons

1) SDrive & SIO2SD, probably my favorite for stand alone use (i.e. don't have to be attached to the PC). Both are fast enough for me and swapping around SD cards is easy. Plus being able to just drag and drop on the PC and then put into the drive is awesome as opposed to the MyIDE devices (You can use software to load onto a CF card via the PC, but it's nowhere near as simple as with the SD interaces)

Good choices but SIO2SD is pricey at $80.00 for functionality vs. value compared against the MyIDE internal. SDrive is a DIY at this point and beyond my current skill level.

2) SIO2PC, super easy to use, and super easy to build. my first device and the one I still use to this day on my main machine (primarily due to proximity) and it also allows for me to hook it up to my Lantonix MSS100 so I can do Telnet.

SIO2PC (serial) / SIO2PC (USB) are good solutions and I have the SIO2PC (USB) and I'm looking to add to my collection. See my other thread regarding getting the SIO2PC (USB) setup from the atari to my PC over WiFi Ehternet.

3) MyIDE Internal, I use This rarely, and in fact am About to pull it from the 800xl and see if I can get it into an XEGS I have so I can use that primarily as a stand alone console. it's tricky to set up but once it's working it's fairly stable. Although you do need the modified OS to make it run.

Using the MyIDE Internal as a means to make my Atari 600XL a stand alone is actually my goal. I want to place it in my home theater cabinet and fire it up for the casual game / nostalgia experience. My next project would be to wireless enable some joysticks. I have the original Atari wireless controllers but they don't seem to work. Did they only work with the 2600?

4) MyIDE+ Flash Cart, my second device and I loved it until I got the Sdrive, changing the files on the card is always a pain and I just prefer the ease of use of the SDrive, you mention that you like the portability of the Cart, BUT the Sdrive is just as portable it's light and fairly compact.

I agree about MyIDE + Flash Cart. I don't like the look at the cart with an IDE extender on it.

I think I might go with the MyIDE internal and build up my DIY skills and then tackle the SDrive NUXX when I have more confidence.

Hello rchennau

SIO2something has the advantage that you can use the automatic two computer interface (which BTW won't work with the SIO2USB by the same hardware group, as the SIO2USB uses one of the clock signals. Which isn't passed through). But you need two Atari 8 bit computers, otherwise the automatic two computer interface doesn't make sense.

Read more about the automatic two computer interface on my special stuff page.

sincerely

Mathy

Hello rchennau

SIO2something has the advantage that you can use the automatic two computer interface (which BTW won't work with the SIO2USB by the same hardware group, as the SIO2USB uses one of the clock signals. Which isn't passed through). But you need two Atari 8 bit computers, otherwise the automatic two computer interface doesn't make sense.

Read more about the automatic two computer interface on my special stuff page.

sincerely

Mathy

Awesome page with good info. Thank you. I think I'll have to add the two computer interface to my collage at some point.

Using the MyIDE Internal as a means to make my Atari 600XL a stand alone is actually my goal. I want to place it in my home theater cabinet and fire it up for the casual game / nostalgia experience.

I had been planning the same idea except I would have used my stripped down SDrive (i.e. no buttons, no LEDs, and it has an old floppy drive edge connector instead of an SD socket). I wanted my 600XL to be available as a game console. That was until I did something to the 600XL just Today. Now it has the red screen of death! :x

Anyway, I wanted plug A8Maestro's version of SDrive. I purchased one of his early bare kits but I believe he still offers fully assembled units.

http://morethangames.../adv-eh0130.htm

Also want plug Hias Reichl's beta SDrive firmware and MyPicoDOS game loader. This combination allows me to load games at 6X SIO. (OK that's more of cool factor than a significant time saver vs 3X SIO, but I still love it).

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

This is a really hard decision. And I think I can't help you much, you'll have to decide for yourself :-)

All of these devices have their pros and cons. I wrote several reviews and comparisons in the past, just search this forum.

I have SIO2PC (serial, using AtariSIO of course), SIO2SD, SDrive, MyIDE internal (with a CF card slot mounted directly above the SIO jack on the back of my 800XL), MyIDE Flashcart and of course real floppy drives (several 1050s with various upgrades, XF551 with original+HyperXF ROM).

I only use the floppy drives to do some tests (for example my highspeed SIO code or atarixfer) and from time to time to transfer real disks (ABBUC magazine, for example) to my PC. Other than that they just sit around collecting dust.

I also don't like the MyIDE flashcart too much, without a real OS the compatibility isn't too good, plus you end up with a huge stack of cables and adapters sitting on the cart slot. Nowadays I'd only use CF cards, the time of real hard drives is over now, and the IDE flash modules also seem to cause some trouble (just search the Atarimax forum).

This leaves us with 4 other options which I all like equally well.

One thing I'm considering is building an internal SDrive into my 600XL for the living room. I already have the parts sitting around and I'm just waiting for some time to do it. I don't know about your soldering skills (you wrote they weren't too high), but I have to emphasize that building the SDrive isn't too hard. I already did this once, using a prototype board, the only thing which was a little tricky to solder was the SD card slot (a SMD version, but the pins weren't too close together, IIRC in standard 0.1" spacing).

so long,

Hias

I have an S-drive and SD2SIO device, but use neither. I gave them a fair trial, I think, but I always go back to APE + a PBI-type HD. That may be because of my particular setup, using my PC monitor for a re-sizable display. I've had lots of Atari monitors, but an SVGA beats all comers.

If candle's new S-Drive + built-in HD interface comes to fruition, that would be the "new standard" IMO. Of the choices that you list, I'd go with a flashable internal MyIDE. It comes with a stable internal MyIDE "rom" and has a "fail-safe" XL/XE as a backup (or if you want to use the XL/XE OS). If you get one of these, make sure that it contains a 74LS245N chip. It is the most media/drive compatible of the chips used with the flashable devices.

edit: BTW, except for nostalgia and copy-protected original disks, a real floppy drive pales in convenience to APE and ATR/folders. No digging through boxes of floppies!

-Larry

Edited by Larry

• 1 month later...

I had compatibility issues with MyIDE - so the my internal MyIDEs are uninstalled and the cart sits in a box 99.9% of the time.

I really worked on getting MyIDE set up with SDX (hacked the custom OS to reinstate missing vectors, etc), but when I finally got my SIO2SD running at Pokey divisor 3 with the stock Sparta SIO driver and standard XL OS the other day and realized the read speed was nearly as quick as the HDD interface, I unplugged MyIDE...

Edited by flashjazzcat

I had compatibility issues with MyIDE - so the my internal MyIDEs are uninstalled and the cart sits in a box 99.9% of the time.

I really worked on getting MyIDE set up with SDX (hacked the custom OS to reinstate missing vectors, etc), but when I finally got my SIO2SD running at Pokey divisor 3 with the stock Sparta SIO driver and standard XL OS the other day and realized the read speed was nearly as quick as the HDD interface, I unplugged MyIDE...

This is when I quit using MyIDE also, after getting an SIO2SD and realizing that it's speed was nearly as quick as MyIDE.