IGNORED

Not matching TOS and keyboard

Is it possible to have not matching TOS and keyboard?

For example, US TOS and Swiss/German keyboard.

Are there drivers for the different keyboards layout?

Yes it is possible.

When I was in Swiss I got my MegaSTe, and German Keyboard, I Swapped TOS for US version and got a US keyboard (may be UK) but the keyboards worked with both TOS ROM sets.

I had to swap to stop typing such as 'anz' instead of 'any' it still drives me crazy even now icon_ponder.gif

I still have the German Keyboard if you need one, and probably the matching TOS ROMs.

And also the layouts are hard coded on the ROMs but I am sure that a program could be written to hook the key input from GEM.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/atariage/icon_smile.gif[/img])' date='Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:48 PM' timestamp='1279572496' post='2054362']

So if you press the key marked Y on the keyboard you get Z on the screen and vise-versa?

Yes, but this is not a big problem.

The problem are all other keys (apart A-Z, 1-0, Return, Backspace, Delete, Shift, Alt).

If you cannot get a "Driver" for the difference in the layout you want, and I have never seen one. There are some other choices you might want to consider.

1) Make a copy of the TOS ROMs and replace the "Key scan to ASCII" table with the correct values for the keyboard. This will not be easy and you will need an EPROM programmer. Also you will still have umlaut OAU and sharf-ess etc.

2) Take the keyboard apart and reassemble with most of the important keys in the correct place, this will still leave you with some wrong keys. I think the design of the keyboard will not allow this as some rows of the keyboard have different shaped keys to others

3) Buy a new US layout keyboard from Best Electronics. But this is about $90 (CHF 94) + shipping

4) Put some stickers on the keys that have the correct letters. this is the cheap solution but will look bad.

Personally, and not wanting to spend your money, I would go with option 3. But check first that the keyboard will fit you German machine

PS. Also remember the driver will have to be loaded every time you boot the machine, and will not work with none GEM boot disks.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

For my case (Swiss-German keyboard) two programs exists to put in AUTO folder: CH_TAST.PRG and CLAV_CH.PRG (I attach them).

In general, three program exists:

Keyedit (I attach it), that lets you make a file, to put in AUTO folder, with customs keymaps (but it cannot control ALT+<key> keypresses).

Clocky III, with also many interesting enhancements (clock, screensave, mouse accelerator...)

CKBD (CPX), but I haven't found it yet.

KeyboardCH.zip

KEYEDIT.zip

Edited by Philsan