IGNORED

Rules/Guidelines, Scoring System, Season 4 Schedule

Austin

The Jaguar High Score Club Rules, Guidelines and Season 4 Schedule

(Updated 7/3/2012)

BASIC STRUCTURE OF THE JAGUAR HSC

• Rounds will last two weeks, starting and ending on Sundays.
  • New players are welcome to join at any point!
  • Only games with trackable scores will be played in the competition; Certain games that were a nuisance (like the scores appearing for only a split-second in Dino Dudes) have been left out completely.
  • Season 4 begins on 7/15/2012 and will last 10 rounds
  • Players might be able to expect a bonus round. Much like our Ruiner Pinball Halloween Bonus Round from 2010 as well as the Reboot (Superfly DX/Downfall/Beebris) bonus round from 2011, this will be unannounced!
  • Some incentive to play? Provided I am not a complete broke-ass at the end of the Season, I will be providing at least the first-place player with a gift of some kind. If I'm doing well at the moment, possibly the top three players. In Season 1, I handed out a few online gift certificates to the top three players; In Season 2, I provided the top winner with a CIB Jaguar game to add to his collection; In Season 3, I handed out a few common titles from my personal gaming collection to two of the top winners.

RULES FOR PLAYERS

• Deadlines are firm (the Sunday night a round ends). However, that's not to say you shouldn't still submit a score if you miss the deadline. If you submit an entry after the round is over, you will still receive ONE participation point (the same amount of points as the lowest scoring players in any given round). For special bonus rounds, no participation points will be handed out if scores are not submitted by the deadline--these rounds are intended only for those who are constantly active in the Jaguar HSC.
  • Any control method is fine. Custom Jag controllers (rotaries), Pro Controllers, and whatever else you can find are all fine. Anything goes as long as you're actually playing the game.
  • Emulators ARE allowed, however, compatibility is rough at best at this point in time so it may be more trouble than it's worth (trust me!). Also, be sure to follow these basic rules if you decide to use emulation as a means of participation: A.) No save states; B.) No system-enhancing features (framerate or graphic enhancements that can boost or smooth the framerate); C.) If you find a game that runs much smoother an an emulator than original hardware, either figure out how to turn the boosting off, or use real hardware.
  • Since we try to go on good faith here, screenshots are not necessary. However, it is still recommended you take a snapshot to ease any sort of doubt anyone may have. This is especially true if you manage a ridiculous, unbelievable score that the average person isn't likely to attain. I personally prefer that the highest scoring players include screenshots, and I reserve the right to disqualify a high score if things seem sketchy to me.

THE SCORING SYSTEM

For Season 4, the method of scoring will be changing yet again! This time, following the NES HSC once again (Thanks go out to Jibbajaba from the NES High Score Club as usual).

How it works is as follows:

Player 1 scores 56,930;

Player 2 scores 48,900;

Player 3 scores 12,029;

Player 5 scores 8,002;

Player 6 scores 534;

Player 1 receives 9 points;

Player 2 receives 6 points;

Player 3 receives 3 points;

Player 4 receives 1 point;

Player 5 receives 1 point;

Player 6 receives 1 point; etc.

TOP scoring players this season will not receive any extra points, as opposed to last season. With how the system is setup now, everything should even itself out throughout the course of the season.

THE SET SCHEDULE FOR SEASON 4 (second half of 2012)

Checkered Flag (7/15)

Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy (7/29)

Zoop (8/12)

Tempest 2000 (8/26)

I-War (9/9)

Club Drive (9/23)

Flip-Out! (10/7)

Defender 2000 (10/21)

Alien Vs. Predator (11/4)

Atari Karts (11/18)

Season Ends December 2, 2012 (notwithstanding delays)

GAME MODES FOR SEASON 4

Need to practice up before a round hits? Check here to see what you need to set the game to. These modes/settings are how the games will be set up during the actual round:

Checkered Flag (7/15)

- Pick the Deep Wood track. Select time of track to Days, set the weather to Dry (no rain). Select Practice mode, and set to whatever lap limit you want. Race until you get your best lap time (this is what will be tracked). Any car settings are up to the player.

- Start a new game from the beginning. Play until you Game Over.

Zoop (8/12)

- Start a game from level 1-1 on the Continual mode. Play until you get a Game Over.

Tempest 2000 (8/26)

- Start from the very first web on Tempest Plus mode (not classic, and not 2000). Play until you Game Over.

I-War (9/9)

- Start a game from the beginning on the Normal difficulty setting. Choose any type of ship. Play until you Game Over. Do not restart/continue a game from a save spot.

Club Drive (9/23)

- Choose the "Race" mode. Set the amount of laps to three. Write down your lap times when finished.

Flip-Out! (10/7)

- Start a game from the very beginning on the Normal skill level. Submit your ongoing score when you lose your first match. Do not save and reload your game to "cheat" the system.

Defender 2000 (10/21)

- Play a game from the first level on Defender Plus mode (Not classic, and not 2000).

Alien Vs. Predator (11/4)

- Choose the Predator. Start a game from the beginning, and play until you Game Over.

Atari Karts (11/18)

- Pick the Borregas Cup; Select the Beginner difficulty level. Choose Skully as your driver/kart. Race through the entire cup. You might need to write down your times after each race.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The HSC rules have been modified. The original post has already been updated. For the exact modifications, please read below:

- The rule "The Jaguar HSC mods will choose four or six titles to be voted on for each round" has been modified. Due to the small amount of votes coming in (usually an average of ten), only four games will be inserted into each poll. It's possible in the near future I may shrink this down to three.

- The stipulation for the above rule stating that "a 50/50 mixture of rares and commons will be chosen for each poll" has been modified. Our player count is small and our round for Breakout 2000 has shown us that the player base can be nearly non-existent if a rare, expensive title is picked.

- Rules added for where and how to submit new scores for old HSC rounds. If you do not consent to these stipulations, then do not submit a score for an old round (this essentially goes for anything prior to this new "Revamped" HSC series). Essentially, scores must be submitted on the threads linked to within the HSC Database (listed below). Bumps of threads not listed on that page will not be accepted, period.

- Link set up to the Jag HSC Database.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I will be changing the rules in a couple of days for the new season. For the sake of possibly needing to revert back to the old rule set after this round, I am listing the Season 1 rules in this post for easy access. Please ignore them as they will be [mostly] irrelevent to Season 2.

As of 12/12/2010, the Jaguar High Score Club Rules are as follows:

- Each round will last two weeks. Rounds will last from Sunday to Sunday.

- Score deadlines are firm, but one participation point will be given for those who submit a score after the deadline. Participation points are only given once per game, so multiple submissions on a single game after the deadline will still only count as one point total despite how many times you try.

- The Jaguar HSC mods will choose four titles to be voted on for each round. Players will then vote for which is played. Rare titles as well as homebrews may be picked from time to time, but are no longer guaranteed to appear on a HSC poll.

- Only games with trackable scores are allowed in the competition. This includes classic score-based games, racing games with track times that can be measured, or titles like DOOM that have par/time systems that can be tracked.

- Any control method is fine. Custom Jag controllers (Say, rotaries), Pro Controllers, whatever, are all fine. If you are using an emulator, then a keyboard or 3rd party pad is fine. Anything goes as long as you're actually playing the game. :ponder:

- Emulators are allowed. Please, no save states though. Also, no system-enhancing features are allowed, such as framerate enhancements in 3D games. I doubt Jag emulators are that far ahead right now, but I do know that emulators based on other 3D-capable systems include options to smooth out framerates and enhance the visuals. If you find a game that runs much smoother an an emulator than original hardware, either figure out how to turn the boosting off, or use real hardware.

- Occasionally there will be bonus rounds! Much like our Ruiner Pinball Halloween Bonus Round, these will be unannounced.

- You can submit scores for HSC rounds that are not recent, however, in these situations, please follow these exact guidelines (your score will not be accepted otherwise):

1. Please visit the Jaguar Top-Scores Database to find the game you would like to submit a new score for.
  2. Each game listed has a link to the respective HSC round for that title. Only scores submitted on these links in the above thread will be accepted. Do not post new threads in the HSC with new scores, and do not bump any other threads not listed there.

With these rules out of the way, the scoring system for each round (Similar to some other HSCs) will be as follows:

1st: +11

2nd: +10

3rd: +9

4th: +8

5th: +7

6th: +6

7th: +5

8th: +4

9th: +3

10th: +2

11th: +1

Anyone after 11th (If we even get that many players) will receive one point for trying. ;)

For a general list of the highest scores recorded in the Jaguar HSC, please visit this thread here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/172478-jaguar-hsc-top-scores-database/

Anyways, that's about all.. We will be keeping a close eye on the HSC and will have stragglers updated properly. The current rankings will be listed on the most-recent competition/game page. Feel free to contact myself or DoctorClu with any questions, or feel free to post them below!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Alien Versus Predator is the next game starting Monday. What would everyone prefer to play? Marine? Alien? Predator? Voice your opinions, the one with the most votes is the one played.. unless no one says anything, which in that case I will pick one randomly.

• 6 months later...

it looks like I will be participating this season! I'll be tracking down copies of Bubsy and Pitfall after the new year, as I already have all the rest of the scheduled games! (except Ruiner - I'm going to take a bye this round)

I'll see everyone in a few weeks for Missile Command 3D :)

Edited by Sonic R

• 2 months later...

going to bust the jag out this week now that I got a replacement Super Burnout (loaned and never returned years ago) Will be nice to jam out to some D2k again too :)

Nice man! It's always great to see new players join in. :)

Austin.. your Tempest 2000 score has never been beaten on the Jaguar Top 50... from who knows how many years ago.. I think you doubled the next challenger, haha..

Austin.. your Tempest 2000 score has never been beaten on the Jaguar Top 50... from who knows how many years ago.. I think you doubled the next challenger, haha..

Haha! I wanted to have a comparable score for this HSC last season, but I just couldn't do it. Got stuck at the dreaded 60-somethings. I might not have it in me anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to save a little piece 'o Jag HSC history. ;) :P

Ruleset/schedule for Season 3:

BASIC STRUCTURE OF THE JAGUAR HSC

• Rounds will last two weeks, starting and ending on Sundays.
  • New players are welcome to join at any point!
  • Only games with trackable scores will be played in the competition
  • Season 3 begins on 12/4/2011 and will last 12 rounds (roughly six months worth of play provided there are no delays)
  • Occasionally there will be bonus rounds! Much like our Ruiner Pinball Halloween Bonus Round from 2010 as well as the Reboot (Superfly DX/Downfall/Beebris) bonus round from 2011, these will be unannounced!
  • Some incentive to play? Provided I am not a complete broke-ass at the end of the Season, I will be providing at least the first-place player with a gift of some kind. If I'm doing well at the moment, possibly the top three players. In Season 1, I handed out a few online gift certificates to the top three players, and in Season 2, I provided the top winner with a CIB Jaguar game to add to his collection!

RULES FOR PLAYERS

• Deadlines are firm (the Sunday night a round ends). However, that's not to say you shouldn't still submit a score if you miss the deadline. If you submit an entry after the round is over, you will receive the same amount of points as the lowest scoring player as "participation" points. Participation points are only given once per game/round, up to 12 rounds. For special bonus rounds, no participation points will be handed out if scores are not submitted by the deadline--these rounds are intended for those who are active in the Jaguar HSC.
  • Any control method is fine. Custom Jag controllers (rotaries), Pro Controllers, and whatever else you can find are all fine. Anything goes as long as you're actually playing the game.
  • Emulators ARE allowed, however, compatibility is rough at best at this point in time so it may be more trouble than it's worth (trust me!). Also, be sure to follow these basic rules if you decide to use emulation as a means of participation: A.) No save states; B.) No system-enhancing features (framerate or graphic enhancements that can boost or smooth the framerate); C.) If you find a game that runs much smoother an an emulator than original hardware, either figure out how to turn the boosting off, or use real hardware.
  • Since we try to go on good faith here, screenshots are not necessary. However, it is still recommended you take a snapshot to ease any sort of doubt anyone may have. This is especially true if you manage a ridiculous, unbelievable score that the average person isn't likely to attain. I personally prefer that the highest scoring players include screenshots. Again, it's not mandatory, but cameras are so common these days thanks to devices like smartphones, it shouldn't be a tough thing to follow. :)

THE SCORING SYSTEM

Unlike prior, we will now be using the 100 Point rule. This new scoring system will be specifically based around players' scores more than before and should make things a little more balanced overall (Thanks go out to Jibbajaba from the NES High Score Club for allowing me to partially steal his method).

How it works is as follows:

Player 1 scores 56,930;

Player 2 scores 48,900;

Player 3 scores 12,029;

Player 1, being the highest scorer, will be given 100 points by default. The other players' scores are determined based on the percentage of this top score. Since Player 2's score is 85% of Player 1's score, he will be given 85 points. Since Player 3's score is 21% of Player 1's score, he will be given 21 points.

The TOP scoring player will receive an extra 25 points, with the potential to net a maximum of 125 points per round. The SECOND highest scoring player will receive the normal differential alotment, but along with an additional 10 points on top of it.

A SET SCHEDULE FOR SEASON 3 (2011/2012)

Ruiner Pinball (12/4 - 12/18)

Missile Command 3D (12/18 - 1/1)

Atari Karts (1/1 - 1/15)

Raiden (1/15 - 1/29)

Zool 2 (1/29 - 2/12)

Defender 2000 (2/12 - 2/26)

Pinball Fantasies (2/26 - 3/11)

Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales (3/11 - 3/25)

Super Burnout (3/25 - 4/8 )

Evolution: Dino Dudes (4/8 - 4/22)

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (4/22 - 5/6)

Tempest 2000 (5/6 - 5/20)

GAME MODES FOR SEASON 3

A slight modification, now we have the game modes and settings listed for each game. Need to practice up before a round hits? Check here to see what you need to set the game to:

Ruiner Pinball (12/4 - 12/18)

- Pick the Ruiner table. Play with five balls (default). Play until the game ends.

Missile Command 3D (12/18 - 1/1)

- Play the classic mode. Play until you get a Game Over.

Atari Karts (1/1 - 1/15)

- Race the Tempest Cup. Select Bentley Bear as your kart/racer. Pick the easiest skill mode. Race the entire cup and write down your overall cup time (this will be what we are tracking in the competition)

Raiden (1/15 - 1/29)

- We will only be playing with ONE credit here. Play until you lose your initial lives on your first credit and DO NOT CONTINUE.

Zool 2 (1/29 - 2/12)

- Play until you Game Over on Normal mode.

Defender 2000 (2/12 - 2/26)

- Play Defender 2000 mode. Play until you get a Game Over.

Pinball Fantasies (2/26 - 3/11)

- Play on "Easy" settings, with five balls. Choose the "Stones 'n Bones" table. Play until your game ends. If you get an extra ball by the draw at the Game Over screen, DO NOT PLAY IT.

Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales (3/11 - 3/28)

- Play until you get a Game Over.

Super Burnout (3/25 - 4/8 )

- Choose the Australia course. Race with the Punisher bike (will need to enter a code for this). Race in practice mode, as long as you want. Write down your best lap time.

Evolution: Dino Dudes (4/8 - 4/22)

- Play a game from the beginning on Hard mode. Keep writing down your score as you progress, it is only displayed very briefly between stages. The highest you have by the time you Game Over will be the one submitted.

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (4/22 - 5/6)

- Play until you Game Over on Normal mode.

Tempest 2000 (5/6 - 5/20)

- Choose Tempest 2000 mode. Start from the first web with default settings (i.e., no Beastly Mode). Go until you get a Game Over.

Checkered Flag (7/15)

Zoop (8/12)

Tempest 2000 (8/26)

I-War (9/9) need it

Club Drive (9/23) need it

Flip-Out! (10/7)

Defender 2000 (10/21) need it

Alien Vs. Predator (11/4) need it

Atari Karts (11/18) need it

I guess I'll aim to get I-war and AVP or whichever ones I can get for the lowest prices. Atari karts will be out of my range I think, unless I get lucky.

I like the schedule, the most expensive games later.

Can't wait! :thumbsup:

• Like 1