IGNORED

GB-XC1 PlayStation controller interface

GroovyBee

For CGE 2010 I'm proud to announce the development of the GB-XC1 joystick controller interface. The GB-XC1 connects a Sony PlayStation PS1/2 controller to both joystick ports on the Atari 7800 simultaneously. The GB-XC1 was primarily designed to play Robotron: 2084 using a Sony PlayStation Dual Shock controller thus allowing the player to move and fire in independent directions. The interface is also compatible with the existing Atari 7800 back catalogue and homebrew game library.

A prototype unit will be available to play test on the AA stand.

• Like 4

Nice - I presume then it should work just fine on the computer line too, and maybe the C-64 (it can't do output to the joystick lines).

Thanks for the compliment. The next version will work on more than just the 7800/2600. The games on the console/computer don't need to be changed. There is a microcontroller at the heart of the interface that does all the conversion.

I'm sure (maybe even linked from here) someone's done a similar interface on the C64.

What would be nice with this kind of thing is if you did multiple modes of operation, like legacy compatible and full-featured, where you could query the whole range of buttons and analog stick positions.

What would be nice with this kind of thing is if you did multiple modes of operation, like legacy compatible and full-featured, where you could query the whole range of buttons and analog stick positions.

My thoughts exactly. Its on my list of "nice to have" features for version two.

For CGE 2010 I'm proud to announce the development of the GB-XC1 joystick controller interface. The GB-XC1 connects a Sony PlayStation PS1/2 controller to both joystick ports on the Atari 7800 simultaneously. The GB-XC1 was primarily designed to play Robotron: 2084 using a Sony PlayStation Dual Shock controller thus allowing the player to move and fire in independent directions. The interface is also compatible with the existing Atari 7800 back catalogue and homebrew game library.

A prototype unit will be available to play test on the AA stand.

Should work on 2600 games too... correct?

Off the top of my head

Spy Hunter

Stargate

Does it work properly with the two-button 7800 games like Commando and Chopilfter?

EDIT: I see from the spec sheet that it does.

Although I do see one sort-of problem

You've mapped SQUARE and TRIANGLE as the default buttons, yet X is the Default "Button 1" for most US Playstation 1/2 users.

Nobody uses the damn TRIANGLE button for anything.

Edited by Underball

I'm very excited by this project, and I wish I had some wireless PlayStation controllers that I could donate for testing. I use first-party PlayStation 2 controllers (through a USB adapter) as my primary controllers on the PC, but I'm sure you already have enough of those.

As I've written before, gamepads are generally not well-suited for many of the original 2600/7800 games (which were really designed with joysticks in mind), but this adapter opens up some interesting possibilities for new games. In particular, I'm looking forward to trying Robotron with the thumb sticks, a combination that I already use with the original coin-op Robotron through emulation. I'm also looking forward to seeing what possibilities it might create for multi-player games, especially if a future version of the adapter will allow multiple controllers to be connected to the 7800 through a serialized interface.

They're probably fine for play testing. This has pretty good ratings but I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend.

Thanks for that. Well within budget :). I'll get a couple of different brands in when I start version two of the hardware.

If you're going to get a couple of different brands I'd probably get the Logitech Cordless Action Controller as well.