IGNORED

GB-XC1 PlayStation controller interface

GroovyBee

What would be even cooler is if you could control the mode via both hard switch and software override, from machines that are capable of doing output mode.

Its probably easier to so it silently. I don't think the player needs to make a concious decision to engage the mode. All they want to do is plug the controller in and start playing the game.

I tried it at CGE and it was awesome :thumbsup:

The only issue I saw was having to hit the analog button on the PS controller to make it work as expected for Robotron. I helped a number of people with that as they were getting frustrated when it didn't work due to somebody having power cycled the console.

I tried it at CGE and it was awesome :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment.

The only issue I saw was having to hit the analog button on the PS controller to make it work as expected for Robotron. I helped a number of people with that as they were getting frustrated when it didn't work due to somebody having power cycled the console.

The code in the microcontroller does actually put the PSX controller into analogue mode. However it only works when the micro is connected to it's ICE system and not standalone :(. The project was a bit of a rush job to get it into Al's hands for the show so I didn't have time to investigate it fully. It'll be fixed in the next version.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shoot!

I was AT CGE, but didn't read this thread until just now and didn't know to even look for this! I'd have loved to have checked out your device. The AA booth was so busy though I didn't even notice it, regrettably.

The project reminds me of Clay Cowgill's adapter that was mentioned years ago and then never released. (No idea how far it got.) (http://www.multigame.com/mastercontrol5200.html) I wanted that very, very much.

In any event, it looks awesome.

I was AT CGE, but didn't read this thread until just now and didn't know to even look for this! I'd have loved to have checked out your device. The AA booth was so busy though I didn't even notice it, regrettably.

It was announced a few days before the show. But from all reports I've seen the AA booth was extremely busy.

The project reminds me of Clay Cowgill's adapter that was mentioned years ago and then never released. (No idea how far it got.) (http://www.multigame.com/mastercontrol5200.html) I wanted that very, very much.

I saw that. I'm not entirely sure why it didn't appear. Perhaps it was down to difficulty in acquiring cables.

In any event, it looks awesome.

Thanks for the compliment. Version 2 will more than likely look very different. I'm still thinking about casing options for it. The current version is very time consuming to make :(.

The code in the microcontroller does actually put the PSX controller into analogue mode. However it only works when the micro is connected to it's ICE system and not standalone :(. The project was a bit of a rush job to get it into Al's hands for the show so I didn't have time to investigate it fully. It'll be fixed in the next version.

Glad to hear it, though it probably isn't really that much of an issue for somebody who owns one, it's just an issue for when it's being demoed. As I recall, a number of Playstation games required you to hit the analog button.

This and Curt's 7800 expansion project have made me interested in acquiring a 7800.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1

I have been wanting something like this for a long time. I see we will have some more records with Robotron on HSC. If it is programmable I could see enjoying games like 2600 Stargate and more complex input for games. I can see this being sold to other atari joystick compatible platforms as well making the cost to create it much more tolerable by spreading the cost to many more users/units.

Edited by Almost Rice
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing that since the 7800 uses the same joysticks as per the a8 etc, you can use this thing on an a8 (or is that feature still to come)

It should support the A8 but I haven't had time to test it out yet. Version two of the hardware should support quite a few Atari joystick compatible machines. I'm also thinking of doing Jag and Vectrex versions.

I am guessing that since the 7800 uses the same joysticks as per the a8 etc, you can use this thing on an a8 (or is that feature still to come)

It should support the A8 but I haven't had time to test it out yet. Version two of the hardware should support quite a few Atari joystick compatible machines. I'm also thinking of doing Jag and Vectrex versions.

can test on A8,Amiga,Jaguar,ST and Mega Drive if required

can test on A8,Amiga,Jaguar,ST and Mega Drive if required

Thanks for the offer. There are only 2 prototypes in existence at the moment. I have one and Albert has the other. I have some spare PCBs but I'd rather concentrate on version 2 of the hardware.

Well, its safe to say there is alot of interest in this product..

That is pretty cool!

Couple of questions I may have missed if you answered them already: icon_ponder.gif

Will this work with other 2 joystick games like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Riddle of the Sphinx?

Would it be possible to use it with the Sega Master System or the Genesis?

Will the D-Pad still work or just the analog sticks?

What are the likelyhood of arcade fighter type sticks working too?

I really hope it will work with the Logitech wireless controllers!

Hmmmm......does this mean we might see Guitar Hero and DDR for the Atari 7800? icon_mrgreen.gif

Also, I know that you would be an international hero if you were to make that Vectrex version, assuming you keep the analog sticks analog, same with the 5200! As for the Jaguar, I'm not sure what the advatage would be.

That is pretty cool!

Thanks for the compliment.

Will this work with other 2 joystick games like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Riddle of the Sphinx?

All the interface does is simulate the directions and fire button signals for the left and right controllers. 7800/2600 games do not need to be modified in any way to use the controller. In fact, I use my prototype all the time on the 7800.

Would it be possible to use it with the Sega Master System or the Genesis?

I don't have either of those systems to experiment on, so I'll tentatively say no until I've investigated further.

Will the D-Pad still work or just the analog sticks?

You can switch in and out of analogue mode at will. The next version will be user programmable so you can configure all the buttons as you see fit.

What are the likelyhood of arcade fighter type sticks working too?

I don't have any to test. If you can recommend a model and its in an acceptable price range I'll get one in to test it with.

I really hope it will work with the Logitech wireless controllers!

Its on my list of things to test. I just need to get multiple brands of wireless controller in to experiment with.

Hmmmm......does this mean we might see Guitar Hero and DDR for the Atari 7800? icon_mrgreen.gif

Neither style of game interests me.

Also, I know that you would be an international hero if you were to make that Vectrex version, assuming you keep the analog sticks analog, same with the 5200!

Analogue to analogue would be the plan. The Vectrex joystick port doesn't seem too hard to interface to.

As for the Jaguar, I'm not sure what the advatage would be.

It'll be useful for those people that don't like the stock controllers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing a bit of Robotron 2084 now that I've got my new 7800 set up with a compatible display. I must say that while it's fun, it was significantly more enjoyable playing it at CGE with the GB-XC1.

It also hit me that damn, the 7800 sure can push a lot of sprites around.

I've been playing a bit of Robotron 2084 now that I've got my new 7800 set up with a compatible display. I must say that while it's fun, it was significantly more enjoyable playing it at CGE with the GB-XC1.

It also hit me that damn, the 7800 sure can push a lot of sprites around.

Duct tape a couple of CX40s to a 2 by 4 and you have a cheap Robotron controller. ;)

You could also pick up the dual CX40 holder that came with the A8 Robotron, though it's a little flimsy.

Mitch

Will this work with wireless PS2 controllers?

Just having a look on eBay for wireless controllers. Are the Mad Catz ones any good?

I know this is kinda old, but the madcatz controller dont typically last. Logitech made the best ps2 controllers when it came to wireless.....battery life is amazing and the controller feels so nice....

I know this is kinda old, but the madcatz controller dont typically last. Logitech made the best ps2 controllers when it came to wireless.....battery life is amazing and the controller feels so nice....

Thanks for the mini madcatz review ;). All I'm bothered about for my PSX controller interface is being compatible with the low level communication protocol. Once that's in place I can tick brands off on the compatibility chart.