IGNORED

Minor request for the next version of bB

jbs30000

I can't use a constant with a bit variable. For instance, if I used:

def MyVar=a{0}

const One=1

I could do MyVar=1 but not MyVar=One. If I tried the second one the compiler would give me an error.

If it's possible it would be nice to be able to use constants with bit defs. Thank you.

Edited by jbs30000

def MyVar=a{0}

You can't do that. Scroll down to the bad examples:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#bit

Update: Misunderstood. Thought he was using dim, not def.

Edited by Random Terrain

Actually you can do that. I've done it a few times. It works.

What's the point of doing it, even if you can get away with it? It's not like you can assign a specific alias that only works for that bit. You can do this:

dim Hero_Shot = a
  dim Hero_Thrust = a
  dim Hero_Crash = a
  dim Hero_Shield = a
  dim Enemy_Shot = a
  dim Enemy_Thrust = a
  dim Enemy_Crash = a
  dim Enemy_Shield = a

Hero_Shot{0} = 0
  Hero_Thrust{1} = 0
  Hero_Crash{2} = 1
  Hero_Shield{3} = 0
  Enemy_Shot{4} = 0
  Enemy_Thrust{5} = 0
  Enemy_Crash{6} = 0
  Enemy_Shield{7} = 0

Edited by Random Terrain

What's the point of doing it, even if you can get away with it? It's not like you can assign a specific alias that only works for that bit. You can do this:

dim Hero_Shot = a
  dim Hero_Thrust = a
  dim Hero_Crash = a
  dim Hero_Shield = a
  dim Enemy_Shot = a
  dim Enemy_Thrust = a
  dim Enemy_Crash = a
  dim Enemy_Shield = a

Hero_Shot{0} = 0
  Hero_Thrust{1} = 0
  Hero_Crash{2} = 1
  Hero_Shield{3} = 0
  Enemy_Shot{4} = 0
  Enemy_Thrust{5} = 0
  Enemy_Crash{6} = 0
  Enemy_Shield{7} = 0

The point is that it already exists. And there is no right or wrong way to do it. If you want to do it your way, cool. I like the other way. No big deal.

The point is that it already exists. And there is no right or wrong way to do it. If you want to do it your way, cool. I like the other way. No big deal.

I'm just reporting what has been posted in the forums. If batari updates bB and cleans up various bugs and things, your way will probably stop working, so it will be the wrong way. If you don't want to go back and redo your programs, you might want to stick with the recommended way because that will always work.

Edited by Random Terrain

What's the point of doing it, even if you can get away with it? It's not like you can assign a specific alias that only works for that bit.

The "def" statement is like the "dim" statement, but it lets you define an entire string and assign it to a logical name. So if you use "def" to assign "a{0}" to "MyVar," then everywhere batari Basic sees "MyVar" in your program, it will replace it with "a{0}." In other words, "def" *does* let you assign a specific alias that works only for that bit. Of course, the other restrictions and rules still apply, so you have to check it with "if MyVar then," or "if !MyVar then," instead of using "if MyVar=0 then," or "if MyVar=1 then."

The "def" statement also works with math, such as "def MyVar=a+b-c." Everywhere batari Basic sees "MyVar," it will replace it with "a+b-c." But it shouldn't be confused with a function, because it's just doing a "search and replace" in the code, not calling a function. So it can help make your code more readable and concise, but it doesn't save any bytes or cycles.

batari posted a brief description of the "def" statement a while back, along with information about "callmacro" and a few other statements.

Michael