IGNORED

The fall of Capcom (or rise)

cimerians

So happy to see them hurt after the Final Fight fiasco (yeah I can't let that one go). :P

There was another thread here saying Capcom wants to release a million more Resident Evil games, well now they may be releasing a lot of shovelware.

But I see this to be disturbing news\trend. Normally (quality) full length games take a fair amount of time to develop as well as being developed within a team that communicates very well (in house).

Just look at Blizzard, Sony Santa Monica and Valve for example.

I think Capcom hitting the panic button is making a huge and critical mistake. Cutting dev time (being a former programmer myself) by outsourcing is in no way the answer in my opinion.

I've played many trashy Wii games developed from some unknown studios etc. More games doesn't necessarily mean quality games.

I think they are in trouble. I predict they get bought in a few years.

Capcom gets kicked in the ass:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/lostplanet2/news.html?sid=6271505

MORE GAMES LESS TIME!:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6271266.html

Of course I could be completely wrong and they become the next Blizzard.

i know part of their strategy to get these games out quicker is to outsource some development. that worked SO well with the reviews/sales of dark void and bionic commando (both of which i actually do like).

something like lost planet 2 actually had some effort put into it, which i also enjoyed, didn't sell.

publishers are all having a tough time but they're going about it backwards.

something like lost planet 2 actually had some effort put into it, which i also enjoyed, didn't sell.

This game interested me, and months ago I played the demo and was impressed with it. At this point however, I have WAY WAY too many other choices. (Many of them < $30.)

This game interested me, and months ago I played the demo and was impressed with it. At this point however, I have WAY WAY too many other choices. (Many of them < $30.)

i'm waiting for a price drop too, i had gotten it from gamefly. as much as i enjoyed it i can't justify $60 anymore unless it's something i absolutely must have. i didn't help the game at all since i haven't bought it but most people were quick to dismiss it without even giving it a shot.

while capcom is on a production spree, would it kill them to reboot strider or dino crisis? both have franchise potential but absolutely nothing is being done with them. dino crisis alone could have success similar to the r.e. games.

I was interested in Lost Planet from the start but I let the bad reviews sway me. When the sequel came out I told myself I would check into it and of course other games took over. What I don't understand is why make a sequel to Lost Planet anyway? Is that what people really wanted? I kind of find it hard to beleive that.

Instead I wouldn't mind Dino Crisis or some other games to show up again. They have a treasure trove of classic games. It just seems they keep screwing up. It's a love\hate thing with me.

I was interested in Lost Planet from the start but I let the bad reviews sway me. When the sequel came out I told myself I would check into it and of course other games took over. What I don't understand is why make a sequel to Lost Planet anyway? Is that what people really wanted? I kind of find it hard to beleive that.

Instead I wouldn't mind Dino Crisis or some other games to show up again. They have a treasure trove of classic games. It just seems they keep screwing up. It's a love\hate thing with me.

Well, I was looking forward to Lost Planet 2, but after reading the reviews I didn't buy it. I also am in the group that doesn't want to pay $60 for a game anymore. Hell I have so many unopened games on the shelf why buy a $60 game unless it blows away the reviewers when I have such a backlog and can wait for the inevitable drop to $20?

Well, I was looking forward to Lost Planet 2, but after reading the reviews I didn't buy it. I also am in the group that doesn't want to pay $60 for a game anymore. Hell I have so many unopened games on the shelf why buy a $60 game unless it blows away the reviewers when I have such a backlog and can wait for the inevitable drop to $20?

Thats why I have no idea why they definitely wanted to push Lost Planet down our throats with a sequel. I can hear them now, "We need a multiplayer 1st person shooter! We must try again!"

If fans really wanted it then Capcom didn't listen and gave you another lemon for 60 bucks.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/lostplanet2

Looking at what's happening with Capcom, I think the face of video gaming has changed tremendously these past few years, and the top dogs at Capcom (and other developers/publishers) are at a loss to understand the dynamics of this new gaming world. It's now extremely easy for big publishers to make costly mistakes.

Even if a new game is really good, it's hard to get the hype machine going because there's a flood of games coming from all directions on every platform: Current consoles, home computers, and all flavors of handhelds from DS and PSP to cellphones and anything else with a miniature screen. Add to that the better-defined distinction between "hardcore" and "casual" gaming, and you have the perfect recipee for consumer apathy. Is it any wonder publishers like Capcom can't seem to catch a break?

• Like 1

Yeah but Capcom kinda deserves what's happening to them right now. The general quality of their games has noticably gone downhill this generation and and even their few high quality games this ge like Tasunoko vs Capcom are niche games that aren't going to sell millions of copies and even Street Fighter isn't nearly as big as it used to be. I just don't see Street Fighter x Tekken and Capcom vs Marvel 3 being huge sellers so I hope at least the development costs are low on those games.

Yeah but Capcom kinda deserves what's happening to them right now. The general quality of their games has noticably gone downhill this generation and and even their few high quality games this ge like Tasunoko vs Capcom are niche games that aren't going to sell millions of copies and even Street Fighter isn't nearly as big as it used to be. I just don't see Street Fighter x Tekken and Capcom vs Marvel 3 being huge sellers so I hope at least the development costs are low on those games.

Remember Capcom Vs. SNK, back in, what, 2000? Shortly thereafter, SNK went bye-bye.. I predict after Tekken x Street Fighter is released, Capcom bites the dust.. ;) :lol:

Remember Capcom Vs. SNK, back in, what, 2000? Shortly thereafter, SNK went bye-bye.. I predict after Tekken x Street Fighter is released, Capcom bites the dust.. ;) :lol:

Namco merged/got bought out by Bandai so the curse possibly has already happened. Hell Midway went out of business shortly after MK vs DC.

I don't get yall's cynicism. Seems like you'd be sad to see such a great company go.

Correction, they WERE a great company. They have put out too much crap and sequels lately and are paying the price. I only regret seeing good hard-working companies disappear and couldn't care less about companies that rest on their laurels.

I don't get yall's cynicism. Seems like you'd be sad to see such a great company go.

Correction, they WERE a great company. They have put out too much crap and sequels lately and are paying the price. I only regret seeing good hard-working companies disappear and couldn't care less about companies that rest on their laurels.

Capcom also made some costly mistakes, one of which was releasing Mega Man Powered-Up on the PSP instead of the DS. Talk about missing your target audience! The game was also a little too difficult for my taste, especially the Wily levels, but that's just my opinion, I know many people managed to finish it.

Now look at the picture below (it's not official Capcom art, BTW) and tell me you wouldn't want to see Mega Man Powered-Up 2 on Nintendo's upcoming 3DS handheld!

12563938.jpg

I know Mega Man has been rehashed to death, but still, there's nothing like going back to your roots... :)

(I should mention that the picture above was taken from The Mega Man Network.)

• 9 months later...
Correction, they WERE a great company.

With Asuras Wrath, Dragons Dogma, dmc and Racoon City Capcom seems to have the best E³ lineup by a mile actually. Like I said before, getting rid of Inafune was the best thing that could happen to them, now they're on the rise again.

With Asuras Wrath, Dragons Dogma, dmc and Racoon City Capcom seems to have the best E³ lineup by a mile actually. Like I said before, getting rid of Inafune was the best thing that could happen to them, now they're on the rise again.

A lot of things can happen in a year. But I'm going to wait and see how these games actually turn out before I change my mind on Capcom. It's pretty easy to make previews look like the best thing ever. Final Fantasy XIII is a good example of this.

I don't know we'll have to wait and see. Did you see what they tried to pull with the Street Fighter PC DRM?

I will never trust them again which doesnt mean the games are bad its just that I wont buy anything day 1 from them.