IGNORED

Halo for the 2600 Released at CGE! Download the game here!

Albert

It's a fun game.

Oh, no doubt. It's a genuinely excellent, fun, well-balanced game that doesn't simply rely on its kitschy "demake" appeal to carry it. The fact that it was pulled off in only 4K, including an impressive title screen with music, is nothing short of astounding. The quality is easily on par with what Activision and Imagic put out in the early days.

But claiming that it's "one of the most fun Atari 2600 games ever made" is just disingenuous fanboyism. Statements like that cheapen the legitimate praise.

I've just put up information on how to acquire a Halo 2600 cartridge if you were not able to attend CGE:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/167142-halo-2600-pre-order/

We are creating a new label for these additional carts, in order to differentiate this run from those sold at the show.

..Al

Sent payment! Thanks Al !!

I've just put up information on how to acquire a Halo 2600 cartridge if you were not able to attend CGE:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/167142-halo-2600-pre-order/

We are creating a new label for these additional carts, in order to differentiate this run from those sold at the show.

..Al

Thank you so much. I've sent my payment, you should have the confirmation. The collector in me is more excited about Halo 2600 than Halo Reach.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a Halo game in the style of an old handheld game, I made one a while ago. It's called Halo Gallant Belle for the Gameboy and Halo Gallant Girl for the Game Gear. They are the same game, but he Gameboy version is monochrome and the Game Gear version is color. Links below:

Here's a direct download link zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/?9u234rupaolr53k

Below links allow for browser play with a plugin.

Monochrome Version: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/64148-halo-gallant-belle

Color Version: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/64150-halo-gallant-girl

More info: http://www.2bitproductions.org

I can't wait to pop Halo 2600 into my heavy sixer. This is the coolest thing to happen to my VCS in ages. It makes me feel like a kid again.

Thanks again!

Edited by kain_kusanagi

I am a huge fan of Berzerk for the 2600 and especially of Berzerk VE and the Berzerk VE Arcade hack but.....this is better. Like Mega-Berzerk.

I will go ahead and say it....... Best New Release Since LadyBug!

Wp

You're so right it's like the best parts of Berzerk/Frenzy with it's own cool style. If this had come out 30 years ago it would have been huge!

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93902?fp=1

It made the Yahoo front page, I just saw it =)

The game, called "Halo 2600," made its debut at the recent Classic Gaming Expo, where cartridges (nice!) of the game were given away to lucky recipients. But, thankfully, you needn't be one of the lucky few to experience this low-tech shooter. The good people at Code Mystics have hosted the game, and it is playable for free within your browser. You can check it out here.

Lame, given away? No mention of AA. :thumbsdown:

• Like 2

Awesome game for 2600, higher quality than any atari game I've played before (but I'm no die hard fan). I found my way into magic land and figured out to some level where the indexes are in abnormal bounds. I can use that to beat difficulty B in 20 seconds. I was going to post the video but you mentioned wanting people to find out for themselves so I figured I would ask permission. Glad to see an executive still tinkering away.

Edited by whitedragon44

I was going to make my own post here, but I'll just quote jaybird3rd:

People are going to hate me for this, but I'll say it anyway.

This is one reason I'm not quite as sympathetic as I might otherwise be to those homebrew developers who have had their games dumped and resold or posted for free download. An awful lot of those games--and the ones that are apparently being pirated the most--are themselves carbon-copy clones of other games. It's one thing to do a game that is "inspired" by something that came before, as long as you at least try to add something creative and original to your version, but doing a complete ripoff with the exact same name and even the same box art as the original is clearly going over the line.

In my opinion, these homebrew developers don't have much of a leg to stand on, morally speaking. So some software pirate is unjustly making money off of their work. What about the money they are unjustly making off of the original designers' and creators' work? What about the people who own those properties today? Aren't their rights being trampled on, too? I know the standard answer is that those property owners are Big Evil Corporations and that nobody's going to be hurt by a little stealing from The Man. Maybe not, but that doesn't make it right.

I should point out that, if you are a creator of a truly original work that has been pirated, none of this applies to you, and your indignation is entirely justified. But to those who have "made their living" in the homebrew scene by ripping off other people's games, I can only say this: you have my sympathies if you end up losing money on materials and production, but don't expect me to cheer you on when you post an online tantrum about the "evil software pirates" who are "taking money out of your pocket." Perhaps they would be more respectful of your rights if you showed more respect for the rights of others. The language may be too strong, but the phrase "no honor among thieves" comes to mind here.

This applies for Halo 2600, and I couldn't agree more. It's one thing for Ed to make himself a little pseudo-Halo game for giggles, but to actually release it to the public is not OK, and actually charging $$ crosses the line big time. :thumbsdown:

Well, I figure, that's why you can freely download the ROM. Consider the price you pay for a physical cartridge as being just for expenses in creating the cart, not as an actual royalty to the coder.

It's the same thing for most homebrews, even non-derivative ones. That's because the motivation for someone to make a homebrew isn't really to make money from it. If it turns out the coder can make some money at the end as a bonus, sure that's great, but even when not, the homebrewer is pleased with his game "being out there".

Considering "derivative works" of this kind, there seems to be some kind of "unwritten law" that such things are okay, as long as it's non-profit. Sure, that is not legally true, so if the company which created the original content takes issue with it, it's their right to take legal action, and in fact, such things have happened (Usually it's smarter to ask for permission first). But it seems that more often than not they're okay with it, as long as it is non-profit. After all, it could even increase awareness of their franchise and hence increase their own profits in the long run.

Edited by Herbarius
  • Like 1

Sure, that is not legally true, so if the company which created the original content takes issue with it, it's their right to take legal action, and in fact, such things have happened (Usually it's smarter to ask for permission first).

That issue has already been raised and settled as far as Halo 2600 is concerned. It's an officially sanctioned project.

Fantantistic job, Ed. Great game play, graphics and sound. Plus an opening screen! Really an outstanding feat. Your post of the process is excellent, too.

Thanks

If this is the Larry Kaplan I just gotta say, you sir, are awesome. Thanks so much for Kaboom!, easily one of my top five video games of all time. I consider wiping that smirk off the Mad Bomber's face one of the great accomplishments of my life.

• Like 1

First, thanks for the compliments. I really had no idea so many people still play and write games for the 2600, and, like in Ed's case, take the time to learn to program a game from scratch. Ed's description of his experience was succinct and insightful and somewhat embarrassing. It took us three years to learn all the tricks needed to write a game as good looking as Ed's.

The 2600 is an inspiring machine where, by complete serendipity, the hardware/software synergy is ideal. Programming a game is a very challenging one-person project (with a little help from friends for tuning, playing, coding, sounds, graphics, etc.). And coming up with a fun, playable and good looking game? And original? Don't remind me about Street Racer (Dave put salt on the wound when he did Grand Prix and Steve rubbed it in with Barnstorming).

• Like 4