IGNORED

Shootin' the Bs - 2k

atari2600land

I'm trying to make a fun 2k game. I'd like to add lives, but I'm afraid I have no room to if I want to keep this at 2k. But there seems to be a problem. Sometimes the scanline jumps to 263 for a frame and then 268 the next frame and then the game resets. I can't really seem to figure out why. I moved into uncharted territory, using vblank for the first time. Oh, and if anyone wants to try to find a solution, you only have 17 bytes left (you can have more if you remark the pfscrolling.asm in your default.inc file.) By the way, this is my second attempt at this game. I think it's much better than the first: I found a way to make the wall not blink and still refresh!

EDITED: Removed religion aspect.

I had real problems with 4k so this is amazing to me! I personally like games that feature scrolling. Shows that the 2600 can have some of the niceties the NES enjoyed. The B dying "animation" by falling off screen is a nice touch too.

As a side thank for sharing source. I know it's common on AtariAge but not so much outside this community. Allows me to appreciate AND learn from your work :)

Edited by theloon

When I run the code as it is, I get a blank screen and hear beeping. When I remove set romsize 2k, the game works. Do I need to be doing something with my setup to make it work? I feel like playing with code for an hour or two.

Edited by Random Terrain

When I run the code as it is, I get a blank screen and hear beeping. When I remove set romsize 2k, the game works. Do I need to be doing something with my setup to make it work? I feel like playing with code for an hour or two.

Yes, you need to go into the default.inc file and disable pfscrolling.asm by putting a semicolon before it.

Yes, you need to go into the default.inc file and disable pfscrolling.asm by putting a semicolon before it.

Thanks. I wanted to see how much I could crunch the code to see if it will run without doing that and I saved 89 bytes so far, but it looks like I need to find 20 more. I'm too sleepy right now, so I'll have to see if I can do any more crunching when I wake up.

Edited by Random Terrain

New version: Bs make a plummet sound when you shoot them. There is one problem with this file, though: Sometimes the scanline count goes over 262, but I don't think it affects the game play very much if at all. Also, if you could, RT, post your crunched code in case I want to add more features.

shoothebs.bas

shoothebs.bin

Also, if you could, RT, post your crunched code in case I want to add more features.

OK, here's what I had before I went to sleep. I just turned set romsize 2k back on, so it won't work yet without using the hack you talked about:

shoothebs_2010y_08m_02d_0748.bas

I don't know how, but you made it so that the scanline is even at 262. I went ahead and modified your code to include the changes I made in the previous version. But instead of >100 bytes left there's now only 85.

shoothebs_2010y_08m_02d_1225.bas

shoothebs_2010y_08m_02d_1225.bin

Please tell me what you think of this, I beg you!

You begged. The helicopter needs to be a different color. It looks horrible on that blue background. Wouldn't hurt for the score to be a different color too.

Big long strips of clouds coming at me isn't very fun. Might be better if they slowed me down instead of killing me.

Just barely fit in an option to make the clouds kill you or not. I have 0 bytes left! (although if you try to compile it without my score graphics file, there may be some room left, but there will be garbage in the second score digit.

Game 1 - not timed - clouds don't kill

Game 2 - 2:00 - clouds don't kill

Game 3 - not timed - clouds kill

Game 4 - 2:00 - clouds kill

shoothebs_080510v2.bas

shoothebs_080510v2.bin