IGNORED

5200 Redemption *MUST* be re-issued!

eightbit

I'm probably being a spoilsport here, but if someone else were to do this device, I'd like to see a light version that costs less and forgoes all the analog components.

In development of my own PSX interface I found that playing analog 5200 games with the thumbsticks was very unsatisfying.

First, the thumbsticks are incredibly small.

Second, most of the 5200 games that use the analog controls seem to have been chosen/designed to take advantage of the fact that the controls do NOT auto center. Breakout and missile command come to mind, as I found those very difficult to play at all with the tiny little auto centering thumbsticks. A driving controller was a little better, but it also had a really strong auto-center, which I was constantly fighting against.

The most gratifying thing about the interface was the ability to play games like BBSB with the digital controls.

Steve

I also thought that the PC version of the Redemption was pretty interesting. Was this ever released? Wouldn't it have been possible to use digital or analog PC controllers with it? What would really kick ass would be an adapter that accepts PC USB controllers. There are many of these to choose from...even those Xbox 360 for PC controllers.

I always regretted not buying the Sega Genesis redemption, with its 2-button control. At the time I used the Masterplay, but its 2nd button is a long button-on-wire that is hard to use.

I purchased a Masterplay myself on chasethechuckwagon (before it became GameGavel) and at the time did not realize that it originally included the extra button. Needless to say, the button was not included. I eventually sold off that masterplay interface. I do not think I'd like a detachable button anyway ;)

Yes, the PC version of the Redemption was released, but it sold very poorly so I stopped making it at one point. Different PC joysticks also behaved inconsistently--some worked well, others not so well, so it wasn't an ideal solution. Personally I'd like to see a Redemption-style adapter that allows you to use 2600, 7800 and Sega controllers. :)

..Al

I do have to say that the Sega Master System controller being used on the 5200 is a blast through the Redemption. Of course it will not work correctly for some games (as stated by classics above) but for the games that it does work correctly on (many of them!) it is truly a liberating experience. Besides, you can always bust out the good ol' trakball for those other games anyway ;) I agree, I would be extra happy with an adapter with the tried and true 9-pin interface.

ive had really good luck with the pc to 5200 adapter plans on the net

it works with most joysticks and gamepads just fine as long as they are "standard" if they are crazy windows driver based its doom

gamepads make digdug and kangaroo fun

ive been through just about every pc joystick so i can tell you what works

rules of thumb

if the stick has only 2 buttons it will work

if the stick has calibration dials it will work

if the gamepad only has 4 buttons(not counting turbos) it will work

it is annoying finding a plug that works i cut the shield off the female end for the 5200 and i use a needle nose pliers just to add a couple bends to the male plug so it wont shave the locking lugs

of course i add a push button for a start button and often dont bother adding a stick for the numbpad

of course i add a push button for a start button and often dont bother adding a stick for the numbpad

It's good for many games if you find a good PC joystick, but games like Miner 2049er work best with digital joystick and it also needs the numberpad. I guess for most games, you can get away with a keypad that has #,*,Start,Pause,Reset. Pengo may be the only game that uses the "0" key for level.

I prefer the joysticks without calibration-- it's just extra buttons to confuse things and throw off the controls.

• 2 weeks later...

After a struggle to try to find this device, one finally arrived to me yesterday.

should have traded to you for a lot more :cool::D

Well, two original controllers, a Wico and a y-adapter was about as much as I would have gone anyway ;)

Yeah, $60 range in price is about right (before shipping of course) for a device like this. I think the PSX controller's analog self centering stick would probably work really really good for this. If the device incorporated a dialpad and start/pause/reset buttons (to completely eliminate the 5200 controller) I would pay double!

or just make it with the big 3 s,p,r buttons and have a 9 pin male for a modified "video touchpad",kids controller,basic keyboard

here is a picture of my like revision 5 of my pc joystick adapter

PICT0093.jpg

just a bunch of microswitches forming a matrix

good thing with this is i just throw it on my wico y cable when i use it and

them buttons better work or they get the soldering iron again

Edited by bohoki

It's good for many games if you find a good PC joystick, but games like Miner 2049er work best with digital joystick and it also needs the numberpad. I guess for most games, you can get away with a keypad that has #,*,Start,Pause,Reset. Pengo may be the only game that uses the "0" key for level.

I prefer the joysticks without calibration-- it's just extra buttons to confuse things and throw off the controls.

Just minor addendum-- Pengo uses "0" key for player setting and # for level so having Start, Pause, Reset, #, and * keys should be sufficient for most games including Pengo (as mostly people play as one player).

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a page from Longhorn Engineer and trying to keep this effort mostly on track...

I'm going to TRY to do regular meaningful installments on this project. Some of you might find this a little boring, but questions are always good. :D

Episode Zero:

Hex.

[ "Yeah! It's my birthday too yeah!" --The Beatles ]

Taking a page from Longhorn Engineer and trying to keep this effort mostly on track...

I'm going to TRY to do regular meaningful installments on this project. Some of you might find this a little boring, but questions are always good. :D

Episode Zero:

Hex.

[ "Yeah! It's my birthday too yeah!" --The Beatles ]

Great stuff! Looks as if you have advanced pretty well with the 5200-PSX adapter. I will be keeping up with your youtube installments!

• 2 weeks later...

I always regretted not buying the Sega Genesis redemption, with its 2-button control. At the time I used the Masterplay, but its 2nd button is a long button-on-wire that is hard to use.

Its very easy to add a little button to a 2600 controller, or like I did, a coleco gemini cotroller.

Then all you need is a wire with a mono audio plug from that button and plug it in to the masterplay.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing (wasn't that a Fine Young Cannibals hit from 1985-86, lol! :) ) I got both the 2600/Sega and 7800 versions a few years ago, and even then I had no idea that they were going to become this rare as well as useful for my 5200, but yes, if money and lack of parts were not an issue for Albert, who I know put a ton of hard work (and dedication and passion) into making them, he would either still be making them today, either by himself or maybe even having someone (and someone here in the States at that!) mass-produce them so that every 5200 owner can get one.