IGNORED

Super Circus AtariAge (new WIP)

PacManPlus

So, I gave it a try for the first time tonight. Overall, its plays very well. I've not listened to any of the sounds, yet, but will do so later. I played it in the latest sdlmess.

Things I like:

* Good speed on the clowns. They move at a really nice rate. This relates to the difficulty, which I think is nailed.

* Nice animations on the Clowns! I like seeing them looking upwards as they rocket to the sky, so that all you see is a big smile on their heads. The head over heels flips are also a nice touch.

* It plays like a solid version of Circus.

* The Arkanoid-esque power-ups can be excruciating, since you may have alot less time to catch them. I like that -- risk vs reward.

That which confuses me:

* Whats on the bottom of the balloons? They really don't look like anything I recognize.

* The one arm upwards on the clown. It looks odd. It might be fun to see them dangerously cartwheel around as they hit balloons and launch/fall at an extreme angle.

Things I would like to see:

* Classic mode. No power-ups.

* Different color teeter-totters for two player simultaneous.

* Maybe an easter egg where you could play with pixelated versions of the clowns straight from Circus Atari :) The splut heads would be great, too.

Overall, I very much enjoyed playing it! I'm looking forward to future releases.

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by durkada

Bob,

I haven't chimed in on this one for two reasons:

1. I've been busy with 'real life'.

2. (I thought) This game is practically unplayable for more than a few seconds with a joystick.

I have been playing under MESS 0.139, EASY setting, and cannot believe how even on EASY this game was very difficult to play. So for the heck of it, I decided to try the HARD setting. To my surprise HARD was EASY. For some reason under MESS 0.139, the EASY setting plays as HARD and the HARD setting plays as EASY.

I've have tried several sessions and the results always appears to be the case. Anyone else experiencing this under MESS?

If I remember correctly the mess drivers has the difficulty switches reversed on the 7800 driver. I had to fix this for a7800x when I worked on it.

Thanks Guys

Just wanna say that this is a "Cool WIP" ;)

LMAO! Thanks :) (Love 'Family Guy')

Bob,

I haven't chimed in on this one for two reasons:

1. I've been busy with 'real life'.

2. (I thought) This game is practically unplayable for more than a few seconds with a joystick.

I have been playing under MESS 0.139, EASY setting, and cannot believe how even on EASY this game was very difficult to play. So for the heck of it, I decided to try the HARD setting. To my surprise HARD was EASY. For some reason under MESS 0.139, the EASY setting plays as HARD and the HARD setting plays as EASY.

I've have tried several sessions and the results always appears to be the case. Anyone else experiencing this under MESS?

Hey Trebor - Sorry, I wasn't singling anybody out when I was asking if anyone played it. I know things get in the way (I am moving in two weeks so I know this).

Yes, the game is difficult with a joystick, but like anything I am getting used to it (it's the only way I can do a quick test as none of the 7800 emulators support paddles).

The difficulty only changes how quickly the speed of the clown increases:

- On the 'Easy' setting it is 6 successful 'outer edge' bounces consecutively before it advances to the next speed.

- The 'Normal' setting it is 4

- 'Hard' setting has it at 2.

If during this time you bounce on the 'inside', the game takes you back one speed and resets the bounce counter to zero. I'm doing it this way because I am guessing at how it was done on the original - I wasn't able to figure out (by looking at the original code) when the clown speed up or slow down (other than hitting the inside of the teeter-totter).

I find it odd that you find it easier on the 'Hard' setting... Trying to think of what to do about that...

Thank you (as always) for the feedback.

So, I gave it a try for the first time tonight. Overall, its plays very well. I've not listened to any of the sounds, yet, but will do so later. I played it in the latest sdlmess.

Thanks! There actually are no sounds yet - that is what I'm working on now.

* Whats on the bottom of the balloons? They really don't look like anything I recognize.

That's actually the 'string' attached to the balloon moving around. Maybe I'll try to re-work that graphic.

* The one arm upwards on the clown. It looks odd. It might be fun to see them dangerously cartwheel around as they hit balloons and launch/fall at an extreme angle.

That actually was why I put the head-over-heels 'flip' in. The clowns flip when they hit a balloon, a screen boundary, or each other (in dual-player mode)

They are two different colors (player one is blue, and player two is brown)? I also show a '1' or '2' on it for the player number.

* Maybe an easter egg where you could play with pixelated versions of the clowns straight from Circus Atari :) The splut heads would be great, too.

I think these two go together... I may try to fit this in after I have added everything I need to add.

Overall, I very much enjoyed playing it! I'm looking forward to future releases.

Thank you for the feedback :)

Bob

Hey Bob,

I have to agree with others that this game is really becoming awesome. I haven't followed the progress for the past month or so. I note you decided not to include cut scenes, and I agree with your reasoning.

Have you considered a points based ending instead, like in Tetris? The more points you get, the more elaborate an ending cut scene type of thing? I've always felt that the decision to include the rocket ship ending in the gameboy version of Tetris was a smart one because it gives the player a sense of accomplishment to see the rocket ships go up and a goal to play for other than just points. How many of us classic gamers did a little dance the first time we got the space shuttle or the Kremlin? It's just a thought.

I agree with Durkada that a "classic" mode would be a great addition, although it would be nice if you could toggle between classic gameplay and classic animations rather than combine them together, for those who want to play with the new graphics but want the old gameplay style. Of course, I have no idea how involved that would be. Perhaps the easter egg could be the classic animations but classic mode gameplay could be a game option?

I'm really looking forward to when this game comes out on cart so I can try it with paddles. :D

Thanks! There actually are no sounds yet - that is what I'm working on now.

Yeah, I noticed that after I submitted my remarks..

That's actually the 'string' attached to the balloon moving around. Maybe I'll try to re-work that graphic.

I think that would be a good idea, obviously. I don't see why they need strings. Better, perhaps, would be to place a couple white pixels in the upper right or left of the balloons to represent a light reflection.

That actually was why I put the head-over-heels 'flip' in. The clowns flip when they hit a balloon, a screen boundary, or each other (in dual-player mode)

Yes, I love the flip in. I just don't like the one arm raised while they travel through the air. Looks really weird.

They are two different colors (player one is blue, and player two is brown)? I also show a '1' or '2' on it for the player number.

Hmm. I'm talking about the planks on the teeter-totters. They both, to my eyes, look red. Which can be rather disorienting when the two have to overlap at all.

I think these two go together... I may try to fit this in after I have added everything I need to add.

I think they can go together, but I think they are, indeed, separate. Some people may hate playing with the old skool Circus Atarians, but want a game without power-ups.

Maybe it would be a fun power-up... A third guy jumps into play, sort of like a two ball Arakanoid experience. But if you lose the Atarian, no loss. And, perhaps, in a two player game, whomever launches the Atarian last gets the points for the points he bursts... meaning ownership of the guy can be stolent by successfully catching him.

Hello Everybody:

Thank you all for the suggestions. Here is the latest WIP:

• Updated Balloon Graphics (no strings attached!) :)
  • Added one more zone to screen (the balloons are higher)
  • Made score smaller (to account for the added zone)
  • Added some sounds
  • Went back to the 'Circus Atari' arcs for clown
  • Rewrote many internals
  • Made the Teeter-Totter collision with clown more like 'Circus Atari'

The lowest row of balloons is now only 12 scanlines lower than 2600 Circus Atari. That's why I went back to the 2600 version of the 'arcs' that the clown uses when travelling horizontally. I am very happy with the results and I think this now flows *much* better. It's also more playable with the joystick. *Trebor!!!!* ;)

I tried to get as close as a spring sound as I could for the teeter-totter - these are Pokey sounds.

I think the planks, as thin as they are, for now can stay the same color. The clown color, base color, and player notations on the base (IMHO) are enough of an indicator.

I may or may not add a 'classic mode' that would be hidden :D

*BIG NOTE* - Apparently there isn't a CC2 setting for a 32K game that uses Pokey *and* the HSC. So you have to currently choose between the two. :(

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Bob

I'm glad I checked the forums before going to bed.

Joy!

The balloons look fantastic! That is to say, they look like balloons. The reflections and shadows add a great deal to their appearance.

I probably haven't spent enough time with the various iterations to tell a difference, but the game still feels right to me. I _think_ I noticed the additional space for game play.

Won't be able to check sound until tomorrow, I'm afraid.

I don't want to argue the point, but the main problem I have with the teeter totters being the same color is... that's what I focus on when I'm playing! My eyes don't really register or care about the central pivot, nor the clown on the other side. They gravitate to the point where the little dude is going to land -- and with two player simultaneous, this gets a little confusing at times as the same color.

I'll continue to clamor for a classic mode. Sometimes, I just want a more tactical challenge, with less random-ness. I don't think it should be hidden, I think cooler things should be hidden. But, I certainly won't pitch a fit unless I can't figure out where its hidden!

The only gripe I have may relate more to my playing than anything else. That second spring board... I guess that's what it would be called... the one on top, where the clowns jump into play, is a bitch! I regularly manage to get my clown shooting his head into it and bouncing back to the ground faster than I could possibly react. I need to play it on Easy and Hard to see how it may be different -- I've found Normal with a joystick hard enough.

Thanks again for the update and sharing!

*BIG NOTE* - Apparently there isn't a CC2 setting for a 32K game that uses Pokey *and* the HSC. So you have to currently choose between the two. :(

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Bob

There are updated files on here (second link under startup files, and first link under bankswitching files

http://schells.com/cc2utils/cc2files.shtml

With the emulator I tried it with, the thing only moves back and forth if you move the controller left or right perfectly. If you move diagonally by mistake, you just sit there. Can you fix it so a diagonal movement toward left or right also registers as left or right?

Hi I just tried it with ProSystem Emulator and I'm having some issues. Portions of the screen appear to be missing. The ledges where the clowns jump from only show up on the lower part of the screen instead of having 2 ledges like on previous versions of the A78 file.

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the additional feedback, the following has been changed:

- The side bumpers no longer causes the player to reverse direction while going up. I checked the arcade game (Circus) and it doesn't happen there. :)

- The color of the planks are now the same color as the base (different for each player). I understand what you mean, durkada :)

- Joystick control now ignores up and down while playing. Thanks RT!

Also, @TrekMD - which version of ProSystem are you using? It works fine with mine (1.6B) and on the real thing.

Also2,

There are updated files on here (second link under startup files, and first link under bankswitching files

http://schells.com/cc2utils/cc2files.shtml

Thanks Ken!

Bob

• Like 2

The CC2 setting I need for this is 78HSCPOK, correct?

Just tried out the NTSC version of the latest build (as I'm using my NTSC 7800 currently). Found an interesting "bug" which might be an issue, or related to the bankswitching option I'm using. Hence the note above, just to confirm. Anyhow, what happens is that if I let the intro screen play out fully (where it says "AtariAge presents") then the menu screen is missing the players option (the line is blank) and if I try to swap the controls from joystick to paddle, the game crashes. These issues are NOT present if I press the fire button to bypass the intro screen early. Any ideas why?

I was using 78BIOS not HSC for the NTSC version, I think that's what was causing the issue. But the PAL version has HSC support too? I didn't think the PAL 7800 worked with the HSC, or was it just the fact that none of the original PAL games supported it?