IGNORED

So what Coleco homebrew games have the rom available?

Crazy Climber

Hello

I am interested in getting one of these (coleco cartridge with an SD card)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166442-colecovision-ultimate-sd-cartridge-pre-ordering-now-available/page__fromsearch__1

The problem is I really only want to use it for homebrew games as I don't have a whole lot of interest playing original Coleco games. I guess I was surprised to see that many Coleco homebrews do not have the ROM released which is quite different than the 2600 scene. I am not complaining or getting angry about that, it would be silly to (and I don't follow the Coleco scene so I am sure they have there reasons whatever they may be) my question is what homebrew games do have the rom available for the public since this will most likely decide if I buy the Coleco SD cartridge or not. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Its probably not a good time to be asking for Colecovision ROMs after this explosion the other week :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166797-unauthorized-copies-of-colecovision-homebrew-games/

Really? I can't even ASK what homebrew roms are available to play on the SD cartridge? I guess I will pass on it then.

Its probably not a good time to be asking for Colecovision ROMs after this explosion the other week :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166797-unauthorized-copies-of-colecovision-homebrew-games/

Okay, just read through the topic you posted, definetily too much drama for me so I guess the odds of me playing homebrew roms on my SD card are pretty slim. Oh well, I have never been huge in the Coleco scene anyways and things like that just make it look like no fun. I'll stick to Atari I guess :sad:

• Like 2

Really? I can't even ASK what homebrew roms are available to play on the SD cartridge? I guess I will pass on it then.

Sorry! I didn't mean it like that :(. Of course you can ask, however with the ColecoVision homebrew scene getting a good kicking in the last couple of weeks its a sensitive subject.

• Like 1

Sorry! I didn't mean it like that :(. Of course you can ask, however with the ColecoVision homebrew scene getting a good kicking in the last couple of weeks its a sensitive subject.

I gotcha man, it's not like I don't buy homebrew games, hell I have spent thousands over the years but I can't buy every single one and some are even out of print so I couldn't even if I wanted to. I just always thought they were available in rom form to at least try out and the SD cartridge would have been ideal for me for that purpose. I will still buy the occasional Coleco homebrew, I'm not storming out the door yelling profanities or anything, actually really looking forward to the Super game module with DK. I guess it was just a bad time to ask as you put it, unfortunately this will stop me from buying an SD mulricart as I will have no use for it but they will not miss my one unit, I am sure someone else will be happy to buy it :)

• Like 2

I can only speak for myself, but eventually, mostly all of our games will get a ROM release (Except Published games, but I'll talk about this to the brewers)

I'm always open to new suggestion(s), I'ved alot of complain about no rom release, that's why I'm planning to open a new section on our website, namely: DigitalVision

We'll see.... :)

• Like 2

I can only speak for myself, but eventually, mostly all of our games will get a ROM release (Except Published games, but I'll talk about this to the brewers)

I'm always open to new suggestion(s), I'ved alot of complain about no rom release, that's why I'm planning to open a new section on our website, namely: DigitalVision

I hear you man, again, I don't want to make anyone mad. It's just hard for us occasional Coleco guys to keep up to date on all this stuff and when I have to start being careful what I ask or type, well, I loose interest ;) I use this hobby to reduce stress, not increase it - lol

• Like 1

I hear you man, again, I don't want to make anyone mad. It's just hard for us occasional Coleco guys to keep up to date on all this stuff and when I have to start being careful what I ask or type, well, I loose interest ;) I use this hobby to reduce stress, not increase it - lol

I'm not mad at all ;)

Actually, alot of people plays CV using emulators (even me sometimes)

This will only profit to the ColecoVision Scene

I like the idea of giving a "small donation" to the authors for each download

But I'll think more about all this in the upcomming months, I'll also ask ideas from authors, get their opinions,suggestions

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello

I am interested in getting one of these (coleco cartridge with an SD card)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166442-colecovision-ultimate-sd-cartridge-pre-ordering-now-available/page__fromsearch__1

The problem is I really only want to use it for homebrew games as I don't have a whole lot of interest playing original Coleco games. I guess I was surprised to see that many Coleco homebrews do not have the ROM released which is quite different than the 2600 scene. I am not complaining or getting angry about that, it would be silly to (and I don't follow the Coleco scene so I am sure they have there reasons whatever they may be) my question is what homebrew games do have the rom available for the public since this will most likely decide if I buy the Coleco SD cartridge or not. Thanks! :)

Don't let the recent events that have unfolded discourage you one bit. There are many homebrew games available freely and most of the homebrewers do make available demos of their work-in-progress games to test and therefore you can see firsthand if you would like to make a purchase (in cartridge form or hopefully more will be made available in rom image form).

Just a quick and dirty list of some of the homebrews that you can download for free include:

- All of Daniel Bienvenu's games released under the NewColeco company name like GhostBlaster, Jeepers Creepers and Reversi to name a few.

- Opcode Games made available the full versions of Space Invaders Collection and Sky Jaguar on these very forums.

- Kevin Horton's Tetris clone named Kevtris.

- All of John Dondzila's games like Star Fortress and Space Invasion

and there's a lot more. Here is a great site to see what is available: www.colecovision.dk

Don't delay, pickup one of the AtariMax SD Carts while they are available. It is a great product.

Jim

• Like 1

It is definitely a great product and a great addition to the Colecovision. There are some publicly released roms you may enjoy with it. Opcode himself has already released Space Invaders Collection and Sky Jaguar to the public...both of which work great with the new cart. Also, remember (for a limited time) you get Mario Bros. and Mr. Chin....another two awesome games.

As for other homebrew games in which roms are not available.... you know I would not mind one bit to actually purchase these. The overhead for the developer would be much less (no cart to construct, pcb or rom to burn, labels or box to make) and maybe the dev can charge much less to get the game into your hands as a digital download. I know people love to buy actual carts, and that is great as well of course, but a cheaper digital download alternative would be very cool.

• Like 1

It is definitely a great product and a great addition to the Colecovision. There are some publicly released roms you may enjoy with it. Opcode himself has already released Space Invaders Collection and Sky Jaguar to the public...both of which work great with the new cart. Also, remember (for a limited time) you get Mario Bros. and Mr. Chin....another two awesome games.

As for other homebrew games in which roms are not available.... you know I would not mind one bit to actually purchase these. The overhead for the developer would be much less (no cart to construct, pcb or rom to burn, labels or box to make) and maybe the dev can charge much less to get the game into your hands as a digital download. I know people love to buy actual carts, and that is great as well of course, but a cheaper digital download alternative would be very cool.

Yeah, digital downloads are proving successful. Just look at itunes... making something readily accessible for the CV at a modest cost is the way to go. Of course, Retroillucid has the idea with Digitalvision and perhaps more homebrewers will join in on this.

I like the idea of having tons of carts on my wall but I'd rather have tons of games on my SD card.

And then there are great 'brewers like Daniel who freely distribute the roms after the cart release...Hmmm... Daniel - Do you have a donate button on your website that you're working on? I think it needs a few bucks passed your way. :)

• Like 1

The overhead for the developer would be much less (no cart to construct, pcb or rom to burn, labels or box to make) and maybe the dev can charge much less to get the game into your hands as a digital download.

Personnaly, what motivated me the more to program on coleco is the fact i could publish my game on cartridge with a close to professionnal packaging.

Otherwise , i think i would not developping for the Colecovision, but for C64 or Atari XL.

I try to do my best in order that the guy who make the effort to buy my game does not regret its investissement.

Having game produced on cartridge + packaging, is a way to keep alive the colecovision , as it would be still on the market.

Providing just a rom file , ... to play with emulator?.. instead of a colecovision program, i could do a PC program that would look like a colecovision program , so no need of emulator and lot of more easy to program. To play with the SD Card ? Yes, it is better , but for me i see the sd card like a wonderfull developpement tool not for a way to distribute games. (i could change my mind, when i would try the new features , and if the cartridge is widely diffused , it could become a way to create great game diffused on SD CARD with packaging!).

And other thing, if we create very good game on cartridge , playable only on real coleco , may be more an more people would try to find a real coleco , and may be ...somebody... could think to re-edit the coleco hardware of something modern en compatible... (look like recent reedition of Sega Genesis/Megadrive , i would love to have a coleco like that).

• Like 1

It's generally frowned upon to ask about ROMS in an open public forum, unless of course you mean "what ROMS have been released to the public domain?" (which is a better question to ask).

Asking about ROMS is like asking "where are the bootlegs" in a DVD or other media type forum. (Besides, you can always find what you are looking for if you are FRoogle, if you get my meaning.

Maybe a good topic would be just what Coleco ROMS are public domain and pinning it to the top of the forum?

Edited by TMOSteel

It's generally frowned upon to ask about ROMS in an open public forum, unless of course you mean "what ROMS have been released to the public domain?" (which is a better question to ask).

Asking about ROMS is like asking "where are the bootlegs" in a DVD or other media type forum. (Besides, you can always find what you are looking for if you are FRoogle, if you get my meaning.

Maybe a good topic would be just what Coleco ROMS are public domain and pinning it to the top of the forum?

As far i understand he didn't ask for "ROMS" in general, but just "what homebrew games do have the rom available for the public " .

That seems legitimate to me.

• Like 3

Come on man, really no need to start trouble here. I have been a member here for almost 5 years with 8000+ posts, I think you know I wasn't asking for illegal roms I can use without permission :| I know I can find them online, they are out there but I like to play by the rules so nobody gets upset which is why I asked.... what roms are available for the PUBLIC to use? I hope everyone else understands that but if not that is what I meant.

Anyways, like I mentioned earlier. The 2600 scene is quite different, most roms are available for the public to play where in the Coleco scene many are not. The only reason I would by an SD cartridge is to play homebrews, I am not a developer so it serves no other purpose for ME except for playing homebrews. I just want to make sure the homebrews I play, the author wants me to play them with my SD cartridge. If he does not want me to play it on my SD cartridge for whatever reason, then I will not and I don't need to know why, he is the owner of it and can do what he wants with it, plain and simple. Hope that helps clear any confusion up :)

For the record if it matters to anyone I do buy a TON of homebrews, mainly just 2600 stuff though. Always wanted to get more in to Coleco but like I said, I can't buy them all since I do have a Wife and kid that like to eat dinner now and then :D . I bought a few from Al like Astro, Terra and Spectar. Picked up a Pac man collection from Opcode at the MGC and a few others here and there. I just want to know what roms I can play legally since some homebrew authors are okay with that.

To the others that have posted some helpful things I think I will pick up that SD cartridge. Looks like there is enough stuff available "legally" to jusity a purchase so thanks for all the help :)

• Like 3

Come on man, really no need to start trouble here. I have been a member here for almost 5 years with 8000+ posts, I think you know I wasn't asking for illegal roms I can use without permission :| I know I can find them online, they are out there but I like to play by the rules so nobody gets upset which is why I asked.... what roms are available for the PUBLIC to use? I hope everyone else understands that but if not that is what I meant.

Anyways, like I mentioned earlier. The 2600 scene is quite different, most roms are available for the public to play where in the Coleco scene many are not. The only reason I would by an SD cartridge is to play homebrews, I am not a developer so it serves no other purpose for ME except for playing homebrews. I just want to make sure the homebrews I play, the author wants me to play them with my SD cartridge. If he does not want me to play it on my SD cartridge for whatever reason, then I will not and I don't need to know why, he is the owner of it and can do what he wants with it, plain and simple. Hope that helps clear any confusion up :)

For the record if it matters to anyone I do buy a TON of homebrews, mainly just 2600 stuff though. Always wanted to get more in to Coleco but like I said, I can't buy them all since I do have a Wife and kid that like to eat dinner now and then :D . I bought a few from Al like Astro, Terra and Spectar. Picked up a Pac man collection from Opcode at the MGC and a few others here and there. I just want to know what roms I can play legally since some homebrew authors are okay with that.

To the others that have posted some helpful things I think I will pick up that SD cartridge. Looks like there is enough stuff available "legally" to jusity a purchase so thanks for all the help :)

Your a good guy in my book Crazy Climber. I met you at MGC. Would be cool if you got into the ColecoVision. I think you would really like it.

+ 1

• Like 3

If you noticed I didn't reply to you directly, I was mearly making a statement about ROM asking in general. Hence my joke about using "Google" to search for them. But I do think it would be a good idea to have a post listing the ones that are available and links to them.

We're all friends here, at least I hope most of us are!

Your a good guy in my book Crazy Climber. I met you at MGC. Would be cool if you got into the ColecoVision. I think you would really like it.

+ 1

+1

As a big fanboy of the 5200 I can honestly say you're missing out not owning a CV. Not sure if you're a 5200/8-bit fan, but it has it's own charm, and plenty of great games. And like for the 5200, now is a GREAT time to own a CV. Plenty of homebrews available, the multi-carts that Atarimax offers, plus the original lineup...

Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

+ 1

+1

As a big fanboy of the 5200 I can honestly say you're missing out not owning a CV. Not sure if you're a 5200/8-bit fan, but it has it's own charm, and plenty of great games. And like for the 5200, now is a GREAT time to own a CV. Plenty of homebrews available, the multi-carts that Atarimax offers, plus the original lineup...

Good stuff.

I like them both too Jetset. I do lean more toward the Atari though :)

Will pac-man collection ever be released as a rom? Sold as a rom? Can you still buy a cart?

I've been a casual CV player, but my family just purchased me the SD cart as a gift and now I'm really getting into the CV. :thumbsup: