IGNORED

Jaguar HSC Revamped: Round 2 - Super Burnout!

Austin

Round 2 is officially over. Kgenthe comes in 1st!

The rankings for this round of Super Burnout:

(best lap time + bike used):

Kgenthe - 34:74 [Punisher] +11pts

Hyper_Eye - 34:99 [Punisher] +10pts

Austin - 36:59 [Punisher] +9pts

Tyrant - 36:68 [Punisher] +8pts

Lexlothar - 41:11 [Punisher] +7pts

Orpheuswaking - 41:34 [Punisher] +6pts

Boog - 41:67 [Lightning Racer] +5pts

The_Laird - 42:76 [Punisher] +4pts

Kevincal - 35:06 [Punisher] +1 participation point (Score submitted 11/10/2010)

The current Jaguar HSC rankings as of Round 2's end:

1. Hyper_Eye - 20pts

2. Austin - 20pts

4. orpheuswaking - 14pts

3. Boog - 14pts

5. Kgenthe - 11pts

6. The_Laird - 11pts

7. Tyrant - 8pts

8. Lexlothar - 7pts

Atari Jaguar High Score Club Revamped ROUND 2: Super Burnout!

All right guys, it's that time! For the second round of the new Jaguar HSC, after a heated voting battle, we have.. SUPER BURNOUT! This one was recently picked in a past competition, but we are going to mix things up and "take it back" a bit (See the rules/how to play section). The competition officially starts on Sunday, August 15th, 2010, and the final time to get your scores in will be two weeks from then, on Sunday, August 29th, 2010.

One of the more well-regarded racing games on the Jaguar, Super Burnout is a nice mixture of classic SEGA Hang-On style gameplay mixed with more realistic driving elements that require you to utilize your break pedal. ;)

HOW TO PLAY:

Go to the options menu. Select "Record Mode" and race on the "Hungary" track. Select any amount of laps you wish, and play as many times as you wish. Submit your best lap time when you feel you've obtained it. Select any bike. This includes the secret "PUNISHER" bike (It is highly recommended you play and get used to this bike). To enable the PUNISHER, type in this key sequence at the title screen: 2, 1, 7, 9, 4.

The Hungary track is a nice balance between technicality and speed: Not as many sharp turns as the America or France tracks, but a slight bit more complicated than the Germany track (Played in the last competition for this game). This should be a good balance for both new and experienced players alike. :)

If you are not familiar with the new Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166522-new-jaguar-hsc-rules-updated-7242010/

It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. :)

Some tips to keep in mind before you get started!

- Some corners in this game absolutely REQUIRE you to brake. Others, however, do not, and you can blaze by them at full speed. Try to figure out which ones you need to take slow and which ones you do not.

- The black line may be mistaken as an interesting track-detail, but it actually shows you the most efficient path to take. It is recommended you try and follow this the best you can!

- This is another Jaguar game that saves your high scores, convenient for those that may need to suddenly turn off their system. :thumbsup:

For anyone that does not own this game but would like to get involved with this, it should be emulated fairly easily. You can also track down brand new, sealed copies on eBay very cheap, and used cart-only versions even cheaper.

Anyways, let's get this one rolling! Have fun!

A few quick laps at lunchtime and I managed 49:69. I definitely need some practice, and should probably change from the default bike next time...

Likewise, I tried a run on this one last night just to test the mode and bike, and I believe my time was somewhere around the 50 second mark as well. I will need to give it some more time, it's been a while since I've played this game. :)

How the hell are people getting laps in the 30's - especially 33

I played this with a punisher bike, barely breaked and kept to teh racing line all the way round and couldn't get better than 42 :?

Don't let off the gas during all those S turns. While Super Burnout is very good, the physics engine is very flawed. Enter the turns fast, and as far to the inside as you can get. You will push to the outside of the turn. The faster you go, the quicker you'll get through the turn. If you are fast enough, you'll get through the turn before you hit the outside of the road. You gotta work on exploiting the games flaws.

• Like 2

ARRRGH! So close :(

post-605-128208757971_thumb.jpg

How the hell are people getting laps in the 30's - especially 33

I played this with a punisher bike, barely breaked and kept to teh racing line all the way round and couldn't get better than 42 :?

My advice would be this:

Grass is BAD. Any contact with the grass will really kill your speed badly. You can sometimes get away with it but often you'll see the needle dive right the way to the left.

The first lap is a write off. The start from zero costs too much time and you're lucky to get it home in under 40 seconds. Treat the first lap as a warm up. The only thing that is important about the first lap are the final two corners. Screw these up and the next lap is a waste too.

The first bend needs a little breaking on, but only a tiny bit. If you don't need to break, you weren't going fast enough to begin with.

After the Atari and Speed Demon banners there is a shallow turn, followed by the first really nasty bend. Slow down quite a lot here, but not too much. There's a sweet spot where you just miss the grass but carry on round at almost full speed.

The final two bends are critical, and really tricky to get right. Again you need to break just enough but not too much. You want to go into the first bend at about 275, and come out of the final one at nearly 360.

• Like 2

Out of contest :

The best time ever seen

Is that your score? I'm just a little confused by the "out of contest" moniker, I thought you may just be referencing another score you found on the web. Anyways, let me know and I will have your score updated at the top of the thread. :)

Well, maybe I'll have to sit this one out. I suck at most games, but racing games especially so!

Give it a go! Remember, at least submit something to get some ranking points. We have so few people playing, you are basically guaranteed to get something. :D

Also, this track is a nice course for beginners. I bet you will get used to it much quicker than you think. :)

Is that your score? I'm just a little confused by the "out of contest" moniker, I thought you may just be referencing another score you found on the web. Anyways, let me know and I will have your score updated at the top of the thread

Dear Austin, This time was made by Xerus ( a hardcore atari gamer well know on other atari computer' forums )

The picture is stocked on my web site. Me : my best time was 0'34"70 during the "SuperBurnout Punisher Contest 2006" ( http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?s=86228&p=1 ) My last best time registred on my cart is 0'35"07

• Like 1

Is that your score? I'm just a little confused by the "out of contest" moniker, I thought you may just be referencing another score you found on the web. Anyways, let me know and I will have your score updated at the top of the thread

Dear Austin, This time was made by Xerus ( a hardcore atari gamer well know on other atari computer' forums )

The picture is stocked on my web site. Me : my best time was 0'34"70 during the "SuperBurnout Punisher Contest 2006" ( http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?s=86228&p=1 ) My last best time registred on my cart is 0'35"07

Ah, ok, so it is from an old competition. I understand now. Those are some blazing times! I think The_Laird could use a tip or two!.. :rolling: ;)

Found another half second. 0'35"52

4908278251_951a494fd8.jpg

I also got it on video. As you can see from the video, I made a few errors (and had an off) so I think I can get this into the 34's with a little more practice. I also gave away all my secrets ;) Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFCuoaVt_YQ

Edited by kgenthe
  • Like 2