IGNORED

Flicker Picker Utility

RevEng

I've been working on a few different project that involved flicker to one degree or another, and I noticed that some colors seem to have more "hang time" than others.

To explore this, and also to make picking colors for future projects easier, I wrote a small "flicker picker" utility.

post-23476-128279086072_thumb.png

flickerpicker.ntsc.bin

flickerpicker.pal.bin

In a nutshell, the top part of the screen shows the TIA colors flickered with a black background, and if you move the joystick you can pick 2 color values to mix in the the bottom section of the screen.

It seems to me that blue and purple have a slightly better hang time than the other colors, in addition to the usual rule about using low contrast values.

Great idea.

Yeah, it's nice that you can see both colors being mixed, plus the resulting mixture.

Here's a program I did a while back, which displays all 128 colors at once, mixed with another color. You can change the mix color by moving the joystick left to decrease the hue, right to increase the hue, down to decrease the luminance, and up to increase the luminance. I really need to add something at the bottom of the screen to display the mix color and its numeric value. Anyway, it's interesting to see how the colors change based on the mix color. The program is also interesting in that it started out as an assembly program to display the 128-color palette, but I remarked out some of the assembler code, and threw in some batari Basic for the joystick controls.

Michael

Color_Mixtures.bas

Color_Mixtures.bas.bin

post-7456-128279627045_thumb.png

post-7456-128279628521_thumb.png

post-7456-128279630062_thumb.png

post-7456-128279631478_thumb.png

Great idea.

Thanks!

Here's a program I did a while back...

I really need to add something at the bottom of the screen to display the mix color and its numeric value...

I missed your program the first time around. Its funny how both of our programs live in the same problem space but are fairly different in approach.

Regarding the numeric value, it's pretty easy to rip the bB score routine and relabel everything so it will work independently, but if you want to save yourself the effort you can always grab the score .asm minikernel files from the titlescreen kernel code.

Edited by RevEng

I missed your program the first time around. Its funny how both of our programs live in the same problem space but are fairly different in approach.

I don't think I ever posted this program before, although I did post a different one that drew a 3x3 grid of 9 flickered colors.

Michael

• 2 years later...