• Atari 800 Emulator
    • Don't Know
  3. 3. Best Atari ST Emulator?

• STeem
    • Hatari
    • PaCifiST
    • Don't Know

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Oh... are these developments from Atari themselves or has the brand found some prospective license sugardaddies? I know, it's probably mum until all the ink is struck and dried, but my little pico-watt brainbulb is aglow with hopeful confusion. icon_mrgreen.gif

Done. Can't wait to see where this is going. Good luck Curt.

Stella

Atari800Win+

STeem

TwiliteZoner - nothing at all to do with this thread but just to say I like your ELO out of the blue pic.

Stella for 2600 and don't know for other systems.

I don't understand all the anti-emulator feelings. It is so much easier and convenient than using my Vader or Six Switcher and for those who like the original joystics etc they work fine on Stella with an adapter.

Wp

...most atari 8bit emulators emulate the 5200 pretty much spot on...

Altirra does not support the 5200 regardless of what option(s) you set. This includes Atari 5200 ROMs in *.a52 or *.bin format. It is strickly supportive of the 8-bit Atari Computer line only (Inclusive of the latest 1.7 release); unless I missed something.

Some other points expanding on my earlier post and comments...

I stick with kat5200 for the completely remappable input support inclusive of both the Hat/Analog sticks and D-Pad of controllers as well as mapping keyboard strokes. Atari800Win (Plus) lacks the ability to map or support a digital pad (Only the Hat/Analog sticks of a game controller which contains both set of controls). kat5200 reigns number one for me despite minor sound problems mostly(only?) present in some Parker Bros. titles. Kat5200 does a fantastic job in emulating true NTSC video as well and has feature rich options overall.

Atari800Win Plus runs a close second in my book.

Finally, kat5200 and Atari800Win Plus can both start fullscreen while hiding the file (bar) menus. This does not appear possible to do so with Altirra. You can start fullscreen, but the file/menu bar is always present and can only being hidden after the fact; there's no option to hide it upon (fullscreen) startup.

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

I don't know if it's relevant to your poll, Curt, but there's a few Mac users here. I prefer the following:

NoSTalgia (ST emulator for OSX)

Atari800MacX (possibly the best computer emulator I've ever used, that and Virtual ][...both allow cut & paste from a Mac text editor)

Stella, of course.

And I sometimes break out the actual hardware, too... to see if my finished projects are truly finished :)

Not quite following what your're saying rxd, most atari 8bit emulators emulate the 5200 pretty much spot on (you just have to set the video mode to ntsc rather then pal)

As Trebor mentioned, altira has absolutely no 5200 support. Just wondering how it's getting all these votes while not supporting the 5200... :?

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad Stella hasn't got any video output feature... Any good mature emulator like that should have this by now...

It's an issue of manpower. I'm the only person working on the project right now, and it's been that way for at least 2-3 years. In that capacity, I have to maintain releases for Linux, OSX and Windows, and all their variations (32 vs. 64 bit releases, workarounds for operating system quirks, etc), while making sure the code compiles everywhere (cross-platform compatibility is one of the main goals of Stella). As well, I'm working on many different areas (OpenGL rendering, TV effects, general emulation/TIA fixes, expanding the debugger functionality, integrating Distella, etc). Each of these areas could use a person in itself to work on it.

Long story short, there's not enough people and not enough time.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the bugs are getting harder and harder to fix. In a mature project, any bug that hasn't been fixed by now is probably going to be very difficult (ie, the low-hanging fruit have already been picked). As such, getting accurate and relevant bug reports, tracking down the bug, and fixing it is taking more time. The closer you get to finishing, the harder the remaining problems become (80-20 rule, for those programmers reading this).

Too bad Stella hasn't got any video output feature... Any good mature emulator like that should have this by now...

I must have missed the video output feature on my 2600... :roll:

Stella is awesome and I'll take great emulation over a fluff feature like video output anyway.

Yes, but it would be cool to have that anyway. You could easily and quickly publish your gameplay videos on Youtube etc. not having to hook up and invest in some obsolete TV capture cards or whatever. Another great feature many emulators have is so called "bookmark - rollback" recording feature that means you can actually make perfect gameplay sessions without being a Twin Galaxies super star.