IGNORED

Who Has Hacked Up A 5200 and What Did You Do?

voiddweller

Hi,

I was just wondering what the creative (and/or practical) minds have produced.  Any pics would be great  :D !

Thanks!

- VD

Well, I've done the bios upgrade on a few 2 ports.

I'm planning on doing the VCS adapter mod and power mod on that 4 port motherboard you sent me. I think a few people have done the composite/S-Video mod as well. I don't think there are too many other useful mods you can do to the main console.

Now the controllers... that's a different story. :D

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

How about a 5200jr - that would be a nice mod.

Someone built a Coleocvision Jr by hacking off 40% of the case (the joystick holders) The biggest change was to move the mount for the PS and joystick connectors and it was the size of a gamecube.

Now thats a 5200 I could love :)

I know of one person who made a 5200 Jr, where he fitted a 5200 inside a 2600 Jr case, and built all the games into it, (including bounty bob). Any more info than that, you'd probably have to ask him yourself. He's the same guy who made "Kevtris" for the Colecovision.. anyway, his page is here:

http://tripoint.org/kevtris/

In the CV case the end is a 'cap', therfore if you 'saw' nicely you can just 'cap' the new end again!

The with a rotozip cut a few holes for the moved components and wala it looked great!

Maybe someone can put a 5200 in a stick like the 2600 - then again you'd have to buy a new one every 2 months or so :x

It's been great - my friends and I have played it for hours, and it hasn't overheated! :D

I love the idea of playing the actual arcade games with a 2600 joystick, as well :)

Since then, I've taken a non-working 5200 trackball, arcade joystick, and a keyboard ps2 connector keypad and merged them, so the joystick is where the trackball used to be, and the keypads actually are connected to the keyboard keypad. Did that make sense?

It's been great - my friends and I have played it for hours, and it hasn't overheated!   :D  

I love the idea of playing the actual arcade games with a 2600 joystick, as well :)

Since then, I've taken a non-working 5200 trackball, arcade joystick, and a keyboard ps2 connector keypad and merged them, so the joystick is where the trackball used to be, and the keypads actually are connected to the keyboard keypad.  Did that make sense?

Wow, you're difinitely more tech-savvy than me. I was barely able to solder a new joystick port and replace the rf cable on my old 2600 :D

• 3 weeks later...
That sounds interesting!  

I wonder how one would hack off the joystick holder and refinish the casing so it looks nice???

- VD

Something only for those with a very creative, artistic ability. To make something look good you're probably talking about a job similiar to the body work custom shops do for cars. It can be done though, if you have the talent. The guy who did the portable 2600's could do it.

I've done small hacks on systems, but nothing to my 4 port 5200 yet. I'd really like to pick up another unit for hacking first. Although I do think I'm going to give my 4 port the audio/video mod, but that would be the limit of hacking the case; just the 2/3 RCA jacks. But I did make a paddle out of a 5200 controller that looks and probably handles, just like the prototype 5200 paddle controllers with the pics that can be found.

That joystick is sweet Pacmanplus! I made an arcade stick for my Jaguar/7800port-compatibles. I'm also planning a 5200 Flight stick using a Top Gun* PC flight stick I picked up at Goodwill. But that will probably be just a Y-cable mod with the 5200 keypad built-in to the flight stick.

My projects are constantly being changed and bettered though. If anyone cares to see pictures of what I've mentioned and more, I'd be happy to show if I have someplace to upload them for link. I've shown my arcade stick before, here at AtariAge.

That "PC-in-a-5200" is pretty cool, and I missed it the first time around so I'm glad this came up again! I also like the modded trak-ball controller, although I know I've seen someone else do the same thing (I just can't remember who at the moment!) This would also make a nice MAME machine. :)

..Al

Thanks for the compliments guys! :D

Al: Voltman3 did the trackball mod originally and I had actually used the one in the picture for it, until I had the idea of hard-wiring the PC keypad into the 5200 keypad (the arrow keys are the joystick). Now I can use it for emulation! The only button that does not work (because of the tracings of the original keypad) is Pause - only one of the most important keys :(

Also, that machine does have MAME in it (the 'ARCADE' in the title on the unit). I guess I should have wrote MAME instead of ARCADE - it would have made more sense :ponder:

Inky: I could never mass produce it, I unfortunately don't have the time, or enough broken 5200s. (It took me about a month to do that one). But I *could* theoretically answer questions for someone who wants to make one themselves... ;)

• 6 months later...

Sorry, but I had to bring this one back...

Recently, I've been looking at posts regarding the S-Video modification and I'm wondering how much the sound and picture improve.

I know this is not an easy request, but would anyone happen to have before & after pics using the same display and/or sound bites using the same output device?

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments guys!  :D  

Al:  Voltman3 did the trackball mod originally and I had actually used the one in the picture for it, until I had the idea of hard-wiring the PC keypad into the 5200 keypad (the arrow keys are the joystick).  Now I can use it for emulation!   The only button that does not work (because of the tracings of the original keypad) is Pause - only one of the most important keys :(

Also, that machine does have MAME in it (the 'ARCADE' in the title on the unit).   I guess I should have wrote MAME instead of ARCADE - it would have made more sense  :ponder:  

Inky:  I could never mass produce it, I unfortunately don't have the time, or enough broken 5200s.  (It took me about a month to do that one).  But I *could* theoretically answer questions for someone who wants to make one themselves...  ;)

Could you post more pics? *drool*