IGNORED

Altirra 1.7 released

phaeron

I've finally gotten a bit of a break, so I've released version 1.7 of my 8-bit Atari emulator, Altirra:

http://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

This version supersedes all 1.7 test releases. There won't be surprises for anyone who's been following those, but here are some highlights since 1.6 (full changelist is on the website):

• Display is now accelerated on secondary monitors.
  • Support for emulation of flash cartridges and MyIDE.
  • Keyboard tweaks.
  • Portable mode.
  • Video recording.
  • Many fixes to undocumented CPU instruction execution.
  • Debugger stability fixes.
  • Disk write corruption fixes.
  • Several compatibility fixes and improvements to the HLE kernel.

I've also updated the Hardware Manual, which now documents a few other corner cases such as the asymmetry in two-tone mode. I also corrected all of the cycle count numbers in the doc to be one lower to match the HPOS counter, with missile DMA at cycle 113 rather than cycle 0. Altirra itself still uses 0 for now since it's a big change to fix that, which I wasn't going to try for 1.7.

Thanks for everyone who has tested the emulator, given feedback, submitted bug reports, etc. If you have suggestions, feel free to drop me a note. I've got a big backlog already, so I don't know what I'm going to be doing for 1.8, but I've love to hear what you think. I have some known hardware issues I plan to address, like bits 6/7 of PACTL/PBCTL, but I was thinking of also trying to address some UI issues, like not dumping into the debugger by default on a crash.

• Like 4

You can also do /resetall.

Strange, though, that looks like a display-related problem. If you can PM me the .mdmp file I can take a better look.

This is my crash file.

I first got this after installing version 17. I then did the /portable and got the program to open..

When I click on Help/Contents, I get this message (W7 32-bit):

post-12528-128380423507_thumb.jpg

After having chosen yes or no, I am unable to see contents, only index.

The warning is expected, if you've unzipped it through the OS and run it for the first time. Microsoft likes to make it impossible to write working software without an installer. In this case, the issue is that Internet Explorer sticks a tag on files that you download marking them as coming from the Internet, and for help files that causes the HTML Help system to display an unhelpful "action canceled" message. So Altirra has code to detect this and fix it. Do you have the program on a network share, by any chance? The help file still won't work in that case, as Microsoft modified the help system to lock network files out unless they're listed in the Registry (!@&*@#$).

The warning is expected, if you've unzipped it through the OS and run it for the first time. Microsoft likes to make it impossible to write working software without an installer. In this case, the issue is that Internet Explorer sticks a tag on files that you download marking them as coming from the Internet, and for help files that causes the HTML Help system to display an unhelpful "action canceled" message. So Altirra has code to detect this and fix it. Do you have the program on a network share, by any chance? The help file still won't work in that case, as Microsoft modified the help system to lock network files out unless they're listed in the Registry (!@&*@#$).

In my two PCs I created an Altirra folder in C:Programs (not shared) and help doesn't work.

On the contrary, if I create an Altirra folder in Desktop or other locations, help works (BTW, help contents are nice!).

I was also getting this fatal error crash with exception c0000005 when started Altirra with old (1.6's) settings in Windows XP's register. After /resetall, 1.7 did run. But when I wanted to switch to VBXE 1.20 from menu, it crashed. Is there a bug related to VBXE mode or sth?

Edited by Jacques

Alright, I haven't been able to repro the crash either on WinXP or Win7 even with page heap, so we're going to have to try a blind fix:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.8-test1.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.8-test1-src.zip

I've thought about R:, but I don't know anything about the 850 interface. Sorry, but I've got a bunch of other stuff on the backburner already and I can't get to it yet.

The issue with not being able tun properly run Altirra from Program Files sounds like a User Account Control problem.

I could be wrong tho, I turn the thing off, so annoying.

Just tried mine, I'm on Win 7 X64, all items work without a crash or message.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Thanks for another update, Phaeron! There's so few emulators still in active development. You're injecting some excitement back into the emu scene.

I've noticed Altirra crashes when using an atr of mydos 4.5d (error message and registers below). This is using Altirra 1.7. Haven't tried it with previous versions.

Can't remember where I d/led this atr, but it worked with Atari800win. I though it might be the file size, as it's a 180k file, yet Altirra works flawlessly with the 1.0MB game compilation atr files I have. Reporting it only for curiosity, as a 90K atr of mydos 4.5(no version letter) works properly.

CPU: Illegal instruction hit: 0783

(385:167, 86) PC=0782 A=80 X=01 Y=03 S=F9 P=B1 (N C) 0782: 02 bad

PC = 0782 (0783)

A = 80

X = 01

Y = 03

S = F9

P = B1

N-1B---C

One quick question: what can I use to edit/convert the raw audio .pcm files? Audacity and WinAmp scoffed at the file.

MYDOS45D.ATR

Edited by eeun

Alright, I haven't been able to repro the crash either on WinXP or Win7 even with page heap, so we're going to have to try a blind fix:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.8-test1.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.8-test1-src.zip

I've thought about R:, but I don't know anything about the 850 interface. Sorry, but I've got a bunch of other stuff on the backburner already and I can't get to it yet.

Working on my XP Home now, thanks a lot! :)

Thanks for another update, Phaeron! There's so few emulators still in active development. You're injecting some excitement back into the emu scene.

I've noticed Altirra crashes when using an atr of mydos 4.5d (error message and registers below). This is using Altirra 1.7. Haven't tried it with previous versions.

Alright, I'll take a look.

One quick question: what can I use to edit/convert the raw audio .pcm files? Audacity and WinAmp scoffed at the file.

Audacity. Import raw data, 32-bit float, little endian, start offset 0 bytes, 63920Hz (NTSC) or 63337Hz (PAL). This taps off right before the final resampler, so it includes the high pass and 15KHz low pass filters. Note that I've had issues with Audacity sometimes not handling high sampling rates properly. Your other option is just to record a video and strip the audio track off; that'll give you an easier to deal with 48KHz, 16-bit signed PCM track.

I figured out what was causing the weird noises on startup/reset that some people were reporting, btw... haven't fixed it yet. It's caused by a windowing bug in the low pass filter.