IGNORED

Altirra 1.7 released

phaeron

Might be nice to have something like a "Lock at 2x, 3x, 4x etc." type of option.

One thing I'd like though is to have preserved Debug setup across sessions. Rather than having to open and position the windows relative to each other, just save what you have. Default sizes are also a bit out. Registers way too tall for example.

Also, the main window often disappears if exiting debug and you have to ALT-1 to get it back.

And is there a way to shrink the Altirra window to size of the display so I will not have any borders? Now I have to do it by hand, resize window till I have no horizontal borders for example and then resize it horizontally till the image shrinks by one pixel and go one step back.

Can I ask why you are doing this? Is it just to shrink the window to minimal size, or are you doing something else like taking a screenshot of the app window? I'm asking in case it might be a better idea to implement window size snapping instead of an adjust window option.

For no specific reason, I only want to have the windows size just what it draws without borders. For example when you design a screen and have black border, you don't know if the border is what Atari would display or if it is larger because of larger window in altirra. Just cosmetic :)

I added a Video > Adjust Window Size command to remove display borders, and added support for ATasm and XASM symbols:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.8-test30.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-1.8-test30-src.zip

One thing I'd like though is to have preserved Debug setup across sessions. Rather than having to open and position the windows relative to each other, just save what you have. Default sizes are also a bit out. Registers way too tall for example.

Also, the main window often disappears if exiting debug and you have to ALT-1 to get it back.

That's weird, that's the way it's supposed to act. Debug and non-debug modes have their own window layouts, but they get saved whenever you exit or switch modes. I also haven't been able to reproduce the issue with the Display pane going away. You might want to try doing a Reset Window Layout command to get everything cleaned up, in case there is some debris in the layout data.

I haven't bothered to tune the default debugger layout much because it would probably depend too much on taste and screen resolution. The layout that I use, for instance, only really works on a high resolution monitor, and I have to tweak it depending on whether I'm debugging more with the display or the history window. At some point I want to get tab support in so you can stack panes.

• Like 1

Also on a slightly low brow theme in this release is the update of the dirty rotten cheater mode added in 29, now cheats can be saved and loaded, values edited and Winplus cheat files are supported now.

Excellent work by the great man as always.

one sec, I have a cough in my throat..cou..save states..please...ough.

Sorry about that, thats a nasty little one off cough... :)

I added a Video > Adjust Window Size command to remove display borders, and added support for ATasm and XASM symbols:

Thank you for adding ATasm symbol support! Am I doing something wrong to see the symbols? Here is the source listing "Example.asm" (with labels highlighted:

post-13558-129097639043_thumb.jpg

Here is the label file generated by Atasm, "Example.lbl"

post-13558-129097661774_thumb.jpg

And here is Altirra running "Example.xex" showing in the console that the symbols were loaded, but I can only see the default symbols in the disassembly:

post-13558-129097644728_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tyrop

Thank you for adding ATasm symbol support! Am I doing something wrong to see the symbols? Here is the source listing "Example.asm" (with labels highlighted:

post-13558-129097639043_thumb.jpg

Here is the label file generated by Atasm, "Example.lbl"

post-13558-129097661774_thumb.jpg

And here is Altirra running "Example.xex" showing in the console that the symbols were loaded, but I can only see the default symbols in the disassembly:

post-13558-129097644728_thumb.jpg

I'm confused... why does your ATasm symbol file begin with an xasm banner? :?

That file also doesn't match the output I see from xasm 3.0.1... the leading n is strange.

I'm confused... why does your ATasm symbol file begin with an xasm banner? :?

That file also doesn't match the output I see from xasm 3.0.1... the leading n is strange.

I assumed that ATasm made that symbol file, but now I looked a little closer and I think that file is created by the WUDSN interface to Eclipse if you use the -s command line option for ATasm (see assembler preferences screenshot below). Now, after looking at the WUDSN website, I think the author intended that symbol file to be used with Atari800Win Plus. So, I will use the -l option on ATasm to make the symbol file (btw, I think that symbol file only has labels and excludes equates). What extension does Altirra look for for the ATasm symbol file?

post-13558-129099816451_thumb.jpg

edit - WUDSN's symbol file (beginning with xasm banner) appears to be a better symbol file to work with since it includes equates. Also, if I use WUDSN with the -l option, I must choose a different extension for the label file than .lbl because WUDSN's .lbl file would overwrite it.

Edited by Tyrop

Hi phaeron.

I've discovered a bug in 1.8 relating to scrolling.

I've got a scrolling Text overlay at the bottom of screen, and the bitmap overlay I have at the top of screen is inheriting that scrolling behaviour.

Note that bitmap overlays don't actually use scrolling - you perform that by just changing Base Addresses.

Hi phaeron.

I've discovered a bug in 1.8 relating to scrolling.

I've got a scrolling Text overlay at the bottom of screen, and the bitmap overlay I have at the top of screen is inheriting that scrolling behaviour.

Note that bitmap overlays don't actually use scrolling - you perform that by just changing Base Addresses.

I assume you're talking about VBXE emulation... yup, those are both bugs. I'll fix them.

this might be related, but

when you hit end of xdl, and hardware suppose to wait for vblank, then overlay should be disabled on vblank, and all circuitry regarding vram addressing at reset

assume such scenario

fist you have few lines of empty space (just repeat command in xdl), then you have actual overlay data

in first frame picture will display properly, but in second frame your empty lines become normal overlay lines with parameters for increments as they were set in lower part of screen

this might be related, but

when you hit end of xdl, and hardware suppose to wait for vblank, then overlay should be disabled on vblank, and all circuitry regarding vram addressing at reset

assume such scenario

fist you have few lines of empty space (just repeat command in xdl), then you have actual overlay data

in first frame picture will display properly, but in second frame your empty lines become normal overlay lines with parameters for increments as they were set in lower part of screen

So you're saying that on the real hardware, OVADDR=0 and OVSTEP=0 after vblank?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh a thing or two with the zip support, if a zip file comes up as an unknown type then its most likely got one of those torrent nfo files etc encoded in the zip which breaks the support, just rezip the file, and it does not support multiple files from a zip (unless phaeron has updated the support) so disk one and two need separate zips.

But ATARI800WIN has gzip support and Altirra has zip support. So my CD folder with all my gzip ATZ file ending's have to be gunzipped before I can drag and drop, and this doesn't work real well from a CD folder. I guess I can copy *.atz to hard drive and re-burn to a new CD, and throw out the other since I don't use ATARI800WIN very often.

Any chance for gzip support for Altirra in the future.

Edited by rdea6

Oh a thing or two with the zip support, if a zip file comes up as an unknown type then its most likely got one of those torrent nfo files etc encoded in the zip which breaks the support, just rezip the file, and it does not support multiple files from a zip (unless phaeron has updated the support) so disk one and two need separate zips.

But ATARI800WIN has gzip support and Altirra has zip support. So my CD folder with all my gzip ATZ file ending's have to be gunzipped before I can drag and drop, and this doesn't work real well from a CD folder. I guess I can copy *.atz to hard drive and re-burn to a new CD, and throw out the other since I don't use ATARI800WIN very often.

Any chance for gzip support for Altirra in the future.

Yeah, I'll throw that onto the TODO list. GZIP uses the same basic compression algorithm as ZIP (Deflate) and has a much simpler header, so it shouldn't be too hard to support.

Not sure if I've asked before, but is it possible to suppress the disk access messages when you have the Console active?

They slow the whole show down a fair bit, it's nice to be able to use the console while something's active but most of the time you don't want the huge message stream it generates.

Not sure if I've asked before, but is it possible to suppress the disk access messages when you have the Console active?

They slow the whole show down a fair bit, it's nice to be able to use the console while something's active but most of the time you don't want the huge message stream it generates.

Not currently... I'll add to the list too. I've been meaning to put in a better log control system as right now I have to comment out spammy log messages in the code.

Can the visible screen be cropped as in some games e.g. Oil's Well you can see the PMGs at the edges when you shouldn't (other emulators are ok ;) )

Hi RBB, have you set the overscan to normal under the view menu?

Can the visible screen be cropped as in some games e.g. Oil's Well you can see the PMGs at the edges when you shouldn't (other emulators are ok ;) )

Uh, actually, that's correct. The real Atari displays the sprites beyond a normal width playfield:

post-16457-0-15320300-1304666098_thumb.jpeg

Real Atari IIRC actually shows 178 colour clocks worth of PMGs. My capture card shows all except the first.

TVs will vary, my old ones show ~ 4-5 CCs each side of the standard 40 column screeen, which is close enough to the "standard" 336 hires pixels used in A800Win+ and Altirra normal mode.

Cosmetic issues with PMGs in those 3-4 CCs each side don't matter IMO, because the emulator is showing what many TVs also show anyway.