IGNORED

Gomoku on the Lynx

Ninjabba

I decided to post an alpha release of my Gomoku game. I wanted to submit this to the competition of Lynxman, but ran out of time to even submit an alpha version of the game. My main reason to post it now: just to show there's been done some work. If the competition will be extended, I'll try and fix a good beta-version with a working AI and some nicer graphics (will do this anyway, but a deadline gives more motivation).

For now its actually only the 2-player game that can be played, and in order to play it you'll have to pass on the Lynx to your fellow player. The advantage to play this game over the actual board game: no need to clean up the mess after you're done, except for putting away your Lynx again :)

The AI is a placeholder for now: it only produces random moves (pretty worthless). Its difficult to implement a solid Minimax on the Lynx as it doesn't have a lot of memory, and I tried some different approaches to do this now (and they all failed up until now). Currently I'm trying it in another programming language to speed up the development part, but this way of working is getting a bit annoying, and I would rather start some other project (and NEVER try to implement such algorithm on the Lynx ever again!). Hopefully I can manage a 4-ply search.......

Anyway, its my first attempt at a complete game, and I'm planning to do some bigger project in the future.. I hope some will enjoy!

Gomoku (alpha).zip

Edited by Ninjabba

Forget to add some small description on how it works:

Gomoku is a game originated in China, and its goal is to get 5-in-a-row horizontally, vertically or in the diagonal.

Menu:

up/down - select game mode (dont bother to select the AI tho)

Game:

A - place stone. If not satisfied with position, press A again on stone to remove it

B - submit move