IGNORED

Select/Reset switch controller mod instructions

Lendorien

This is a quick overview about how to do the Atari Joystick Select/Reset switch mod. New topic since the old one was so cluttered and I'm unable to edit my first post in that one to contain the instructions.

This mod adds an extra port to the Atari to allow the user to hit select and reset with an Atari joystick. This is especially useful for those of us who like to use extension cables with our joysticks but loath having to get up off the couch to hit reset on the console every time we have to reset the game.

Essentially, you're soldering a cable with a 9 pin connector (similar to the joystick ports on the Atari itself) to the motherboard. I route my connector cable through the AV cable hole in the back of the console and have a dongle there that I can plug my joystick into. The mod is easy to remove later and requires no modding of your joystick. It also requires no case modding, though you can do that if you want a cleaner look than a dongle.

Here's a video of the completed mod to give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbpq5pEri_Q

INSTRUCTIONS:

What you need:

* Soldering iron

* Either a length of DB-9 extension cable with a male end to cannibalize.

or

* At least 1.2 foot of Cord with at least 3 wires in it.

* 9 pin male crimp type D-sub connector - radio shack part 276-1427

* 9 position dub connector hood - radio shack part 276-1539

* Possibly, a pin kit for pushing and removing pins in connectors.

What to do:

Open your atari and pull out the motherboard. flip it over and find the switches for select and reset. Now to set up to connector.

You will want to attach the wires to the following pins in the dsub connector. You may want to add extra pins for stability when plugging and unplugging your joystick. If you're using an existing cable, you'll want to isolate these wires for the following pins. This is very important as these pins correspond to controls on the joystick.

Pin 8

Pin 6

Pin 1

post-22224-128379949747_thumb.jpg

Route the cable through the AV port in the back of the case. Once you've soldered them onto the motherboard you'll be stuck, so do that now.

Now, solder the wires you've isolated to the solder points on the motherboard. When soldering the wires to the switches:

Solder pin 8 to the ground.

Solder pin 1 to the select switch. (up on joystick)

Solder pin 6 to the reset switch. (button on joystick)

Here is an image of where to solder on a vader. I would assume the woodies all are similar to this. I have no idea with the jr.

post-22224-128379951076_thumb.jpg

Once you have completed your soldering, put the motherboard back in the case and route the connector cable through the AV cable holders that the Av cable usually rests in. This will help keep your cable from being pulled loose from the motherboard during use.

post-22224-128379953225_thumb.jpg

When you're done, you will have a dongle hanging out the back of your console. Plug in your joystick and try it out. And there you have it. You can now use your joystick to hit reset and select.

Comments are welcome.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 2

I just watched your video again with sound on, thanks for mentioning me on the joystick idea! I do have one suggestion, wire up either left or right, not down. Then the track & field controler could be used. You could wire them all at once to the same switch so any direction would work.

Would it be possible to do this mod with a Heavy/Light Sixer?

It should be quite doable. I think the switch assemblies are very similar if not the same as the vader.

----

Hey P4&4. Of course I credited you. You came up with the idea to use the joystick. As for connecting all the wires... That's not a bad idea. For me though, the joystick works fine, since I have more than 2 laying around.

I'm considering doing this, but modding the mod slightly. I'm thinking that I will permanently mount the D-sub connector through the back panel (much like how A/V mods are done), and build an actual "switchbox" using a black pushbutton for "select" and a red one for "reset". I'll use some CAT5/6 twisted pair for the wiring, and use the same pins. That way, my switchbox can easily be replaced with a joystick.

<snip>

You may want to add extra pins for stability when plugging and unplugging your joystick.

I would suggest that someone could simply purchase a "solder-type" 9-pin D-Sub connector -- all the pins are already there, so no need to muck around with a pin tool.

But a fantastic guide all around! :thumbsup:

<snip>

You may want to add extra pins for stability when plugging and unplugging your joystick.

I would suggest that someone could simply purchase a "solder-type" 9-pin D-Sub connector -- all the pins are already there, so no need to muck around with a pin tool.

But a fantastic guide all around! :thumbsup:

I actually did this with a switchbox to start with. One of my videos on the mod shows it, and I think I show it in the video above as well. The switch box gives the opportunity to add extra features, like the pause mod.

Would it be possible to wire this to some of the non-joystick used pins and hook it straight into the existing 1st player controller port? Say (If I remember correctly) for the B and Start button on a Genesis controller?

Would you lose any functionality that way?

Chris

Would it be possible to wire this to some of the non-joystick used pins and hook it straight into the existing 1st player controller port? Say (If I remember correctly) for the B and Start button on a Genesis controller?

Chris

Well, IIRC, all of the pins are used by one controller or another, so if you started wiring the buttons to the controller puns, you'd lose the ability to use certain controllers.

I was about to say something like "I know there are unused pins as far as the standard joystick is concerned".... Looked it up, and according to http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/JoystickAtari2600_pinout.shtml I'm right.........

BUT also according to that site pins 5 7 and 9 (the unused joystick pins) are used for the paddle controllers.... So I guess the answer is You could use those pins, but you'd lose the ability to use paddle controllers... Pin 9 I looked up maps to a genisis start button, you you could even use a geniss controller for 1 of the buttons http://pinouts.ru/Game/genesiscontroller_pinout.shtml....

hmmmm This all does give me ideas though....

Probably never act on them though....

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I was about to say something like "I know there are unused pins as far as the standard joystick is concerned".... Looked it up, and according to http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/JoystickAtari2600_pinout.shtml I'm right.........

BUT also according to that site pins 5 7 and 9 (the unused joystick pins) are used for the paddle controllers.... So I guess the answer is You could use those pins, but you'd lose the ability to use paddle controllers... Pin 9 I looked up maps to a genisis start button, you you could even use a geniss controller for 1 of the buttons http://pinouts.ru/Game/genesiscontroller_pinout.shtml....

hmmmm This all does give me ideas though....

Probably never act on them though....

Chris

I would say that's why I did it the way I did. It's minimally invasive too. Probably one of the easiest mods to do. A good beginner project.

If I wanted to do this mod could I send you an Atari and pay you to do it for me? I'm sure it's easy and all but I barely have time to play games so I really don't have time to start taking shit apart and end up with another half finished project sitting in my garage ;)

Uh well, I guess I could. You'd get the dongle set up I use because although I have frostner bits, I don't feel comfortable doing case mods in general, much less with anyone else's. You'd have to pay round trip shipping, parts and a little for my time. I'm not sure it would be worth it financially. It literally takes maybe 20 minutes to do if you have some experience with soldering and the pats are probably less than 10 dollars at radio shack, less if you go through an online place. And most of the time is taken up with opening the console itself.

But if you really want me to do it, I could. PM me if you're serious and we can see if we can work something out.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris

caver , i found this site searching for info on this as well , i want to connect the sega genesis wireless controllers to the atari (using extension cables) , and connect the reset switch to the genesis start button (9 pin and 8 pin grounded) that way i dont have to get up every time i want to restart a game ,i hear the genesis original wireless controllers work really well? and if anyone is worried about not been able to work the paddle controllers then a simple on /off switch could be added to turn off the modification of the wire to the 9 pin out ..

• 3 months later...