IGNORED

Are all 7800s Backwards compatible?

Gabsters89

Ok so a few years back I bought a 7800(not sure from where but probably ebay), and I just now got around to playing around with it... And to my surprise it wasn't backwards compatible. I tried at least ten 2600 games and none of them worked, but it played 7800 games fine. I was under the impression that they were all backwards compatible, but does anyone know if there was possibly a hardware revision of some kind that wasn't, a la the old PS3s vs. the newer models?

Ok so a few years back I bought a 7800(not sure from where but probably ebay), and I just now got around to playing around with it... And to my surprise it wasn't backwards compatible. I tried at least ten 2600 games and none of them worked, but it played 7800 games fine. I was under the impression that they were all backwards compatible, but does anyone know if there was possibly a hardware revision of some kind that wasn't, a la the old PS3s vs. the newer models?

They are all 99.9% backward compatible, maybe you have a faulty one :(

I have the exact same problem with mine, and a huge percentage of the 2600 carts I had didn't work even after cleaning them properly. I think Space Invaders and Jungle Hunt were the only two carts that I managed to get working, out of 30. IIRC, it's due to an iffy-shaped cartridge slot on a small number of 7800s.. at least, that's what I think someone said when I posted the same question a while back. :(

Yes I tried them in my old Vader after the 7800 decided not to run them, and I had recently cleaned the majority of my 2600 carts. :(

I assume they worked fine in the Vader? I've never encountered a 7800 that would not run the majority of 2600 carts I've tried, so that's an interesting issue. I'm not familiar enough with the 7800 architecture to know what would cause this particular behavior, but I'm sure there are others here with the knowledge to chime in. Anyway, sounds like you may need to get another 7800.

..Al

Yes Al, all the games ran fine in the Vader(then I got sidetracked playing Snoopy and the Red Baron :) ). Congozombie, I got nothing when I powered it up, black screen. It does sound like it could be the TIA chip, because the only purpose that it serves is to play the 2600 games correct? I'll check the power supply later, I have class now then I plan on watching the Saints Vikings game. I'll check it out and update.

Edited by Gabsters89

I can tell you for a fact that Burgertime 2600 does not work on the 7800

I think different revisions of the hardware have different compatibility issues. If I remember right there is an easy mod that you can do that gives you better compatibility. I think someone even posted the link in this forum within the last month or two.

Edit

Here it is.

Edited by horseboy

I think different revisions of the hardware have different compatibility issues. If I remember right there is an easy mod that you can do that gives you better compatibility. I think someone even posted the link in this forum within the last month or two.

Edit

Here it is.

Yes.

But that is NOT the same problem the OP is having. That only affects a very small number of games: 2600 Robot Tank, Space Shuttle, Activision Decathlon, Burgertime, Time Pilot, and the Starpath Supercharger, and even then only certain revisions of those carts, and on only certain revisions of 7800 consoles.

I have one 7800 Console I performed the above mod on and all these games now work. I have another where all of these games already worked fine with no mod.

Edit

Here it is.

Yes.

But that is NOT the same problem the OP is having. That only affects a very small number of games: 2600 Robot Tank, Space Shuttle, Activision Decathlon, Burgertime, Time Pilot, and the Starpath Supercharger, and even then only certain revisions of those carts, and on only certain revisions of 7800 consoles.

I have one 7800 Console I performed the above mod on and all these games now work. I have another where all of these games already worked fine with no mod.

Yeah, I was just responding to Classic Pac about his Burgertime comment.

Ok so it's the TIA chip then? Is it possible to remove a TIA chip from a 2600 and put it into a 7800? I have like 5 2600s(when I see one for 5 dollars at a flea market it's hard not to grab it just because :))

That or it's the cartridge slot. The easiest way to find out would be to crack open a common, like Combat, and pop just the PCB itself into your 7800's slot. This is actually how I had to play some repros I got..

I tend to doubt it's the TIA chip though you never know. A misaligned cart slot collar is a common problem though not usually to the extent that you guys are experiencing.

Mitch

That's what I'm thinking as well. I know from personal experience, most 2600 carts (especially slightly larger ones like the Activisions) feel like they don't go in all the way, whereas the 7800 carts do. Strange.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I also have a CIB copy of Kaboom! and it doesn't work on my 7800 either. You are right, it's mostly Activision games that have problems running on the 7800. I think there were other Activision titles I had not on the last person's list who mentioned them that had the same problems.

This also reminds me of how I had an older revision of Dragon Warrior 1 for NES that didn't work on my toploader system but worked on my front loader so I traded it for one that did work on both.

Edited by TheGameCollector