IGNORED

Lynx Newbie here :)

Atari_afternoon

The other day, after weeks of pain and negotiations, that Saturday finally my long-awaited Lynx II arrived in the mail!

I have already had "Blue Lightning" waiting for 2 weeks to play it.

So, the weekend I spent a good while with "Steel Talons" and "B.L." (I have a faible for all handheld flight simulators.). I must say the ergonomic is fantastic!

The "preparation" to this moment involved testing all game roms I could find in the "handy" emulator. So my wishlist now includes:

"Battlewheels", "Xybots", "S.T.U.N. Runner" and "Warbirds" < all in the mail as I type this, will arrive tomorrow :) :) :)

The ones I think I´ll definitely be looking out for are California Games, Chip´s Challenge, Todd´s Adv. in Slime Words, Shanghai, Scrapyard Dog and Paperboy...which are, as I have seen it by reading lots of reviews, first address, of course, AtariAge, pretty easy to get...I´d also love Battlewheels 2000 soon after...

^^Just had the wish to let you know I´m glad I´ve joined the Lynx players club!

[if there is a stickied thread for "newbies", feel free to move this thread to there :) )

Edited by Atari_afternoon

A few others that you may want to keep your eye out for are Rampart, Shadow of the Beast, and Lemmings. The first two I know are fairly common, but Lemmings may be a bit harder to find. All three are among the best games the Lynx has to offer.

Thanks all for the first-hand suggestions!

Rampart looks really interesting, too. Hard to get a decent impression with reading reviews only.

I was originally somewhat "prejudiced" against Paperboy and also against Klax, I must admit; reason was, knowing them both from the Gameboy. The reviews, however, are ALL very favourable, that gave me some serious thinking. Plus your tips. I thought I have played enough riddle games in my life :D but now both Klax and Lynxopoly (and of course, Shanghai), I´ll look out for them. Don´t know where to get the latter from though; there are a few dealers (and fewer collectors) here in Germany but like with getting my copy of the Lynx, it might be more worthwhile to try get them from abroad for me (the Lynx itself I got from a dealer in Greece!). I have checked out the major addresses of dealers and suppliers mentioned throughout here already.

Zarlor Mecerary also on my wish list. The more reviews I read, the more curious I get. And I have spent the past weeks doing righ that while me and my lonely Blue Lightning cartridge were waiting :D

With NiMH rechargeables I achieve a decent playing time. So far I have not felt the need for the 220 Volt unit. Need the pouchbag though.

It´s just the feeling that the Lynx is something very special! It´s not because it´s just "new" to me; it´s more because I know "wow, this was ahead of its time, for over a decade on top of that!" + "I could never have afforded the hundreds of Marks as a kid when I saw it at the shops". That´s the reason why after the 2600, I came to love the Gameboy first. It´s soo tempting to compare the Lynx with the GBA (many have done that...).

Anyway, fits great in my collection of handhelds (next to the "Nintendo family" - they get along with each other!). I see lots of coffee breaks ahead.

Glad you like the Lynx, it is arguably Atari's best game device. Most of the games are very reasonable, if not downright cheap even for brand new games. My favorites are basically any of the Arcade ports, most of them are just stunning. There are a few arcade duds like Pit Fighter and Super Off Road, but the vast majority of the arcade titles are outstanding. Don't overlook Joust or Robotron.

also, forget the pouch, it is OK, but I'm telling you, that Lynx Carrying Case is totally awesome. It's basically a piece of luggage, it is one of my favorite things I own for Lynx.

Edited by Gunstarhero

Totally agree with you Gunstar, Robotron is actually my favourite Lynx game and Joust is superb too.

I actually like Pit-Fighter though always been a fan of the original :D

I actually like Pit-Fighter as well :twisted: , but can freely admit that it's not a very good port. It plays fine but the low resolution really hurts and I hate using Option buttons during gameplay. I prefer the Genesis version here.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Lynx! I am fairly new as well. Just got my first Lynx (version 2) about two months ago, and I'm loving it! With my other Ataris unfortunately boxed and packed out of my reach, the Lynx is what I currently play the most. I find myself keeping Klax, STUN Runner, Rampart, and Xybots in play rotation the most. Especially Rampart, which is ADDICTIVE! :D

So far, Steel Talons is my favourite :) but I´m expecting a little parcel today. Plus, another one later this week :) with 3 games each :)

I must say I LOVE that thing! This is my first going on a strong sidetrack away from the Nintendo handheld family, and after my personal Sega Game Gear disappointment earlier this summer [this is my personal opinion only!], I wouldn´t have imagined to love the Lynx as much as I do! :)

OK...I have finished my first Lynx owning week so far...I´m just in the mood for a summary:

-Power consumption: I´m using 2700mAh NiMH rechargeables and right now they are recharging their 3rd time (which is the reason I´m typing right now).

-Case: My reconstructed DVD carrying cases proves great. Nothing to complain at all.

-To do: During the mail transport from Greece to Germany, some dust particles found their way behind the screen. I do not notice them during playing but they are pretty obvious when it´s turned off. I have found an online instruction on how to take the lense off for dust cleaning, maybe will do so later on.

- Warbirds : As expected, tends to be the game I spend most time with! I love these dogfights (my favourite game on the GBA is/was "Wings", which in turn is a port of an early 90ies Amiga game as I´m told, it´s interesting to compare them both). Dogfights, stopping the motor when seeing the tail of another plane, then shooting, then diving down and turning the motor on again, this is addictive!

-Blue Lightning: Actually bought that cartridge weeks before I "won" a Lynx. Great game but not in my heavy rotation (yet).

-Xybots: My second from top favourite. Great gameplay! Nothing to complain at all!

- Battlewheels: As expected, like that a lot, too! By studying the manual, I found many things and options and weapons that I have not come across on my own yet, glad it was included. Can play this for ages.

-Steel Talons: Fantastic gameplay. Fights with Xybots for a personal number two favourite. Steering the helicopter alone even without the mission (arrgh, time limits in the neck!) is fun enough once one gets the hang.

-Stun Runner: Nice. Just nice. But...not addictive. Yet. I tend to play one go and then change the cartridge. This is different with all the games above, and highly subjective, of course.

These are all I have at the moment. I´m waiting for a 3 piece parcel from the UK ;) and have just "won" "Checkered Flag". So in a few days I should have my ten favourites all together...with a few notable expections, of course.

I´m also mighty curious as to "Lynxopoly". Not 100% sure yet but pretty likely I won´t let that go.

Writing back soon!

EDIT Just bought 8 (eight) more. Call that dedication! :love:

Edited by Atari_afternoon

• 2 weeks later...

OK...so far I seem to have my original wishlist together. Thanks for your help, and most of all, thanks to you AtariAge review writers!

There are still three I absolutely want at one time later, that´s Lynxopoly, Battlezone 2000 and Lemmings. They are premium-priced/rare, that´s why I have concentrated on the easier-to-get ones so far.

-Warbirds: Love it!

-TurboSub: Fast! Exciting! Though somewhat "thin" gameplay, luckily you have many many "subs", and after a while one gets to see new worlds, all beautifully made.

-Todd´s Adventure: Yes, like it but haven´t played it too much yet I admit. Vast worlds to explore ahead on long winter evenings...

-Paperboy: A wonderful and absolutely recommendable version! By now surviving the week in Easy Street I manage with losing one cap at most :) (Thanks to my long-time training with the (bad...) Gameboy version.)

-Joust: Very good version. I´m afraid the GB Color one is a tad better...don´t know why. I just survive longer than here.

-Checkered Flag: Thanks for the recommendation! It was worth it. Running a tournament against 1 drone is best for me, we overtake each other regularly 2 or 3 times.

-Rampart: This might become my favourite. Still haven´t yet conquered all on easy level but I think I´ve got the hang...

Blue Lightning: It is undoubtedly great, looks fantastic...but I admit I prefer the Warbirds gameplay (not to mention the Steel Talons feeling).

-Klax: Also thanks for the recommendation. The easy missions "work" already. Need to get faster. It is a wonderful version. I knew the lousy Gameboy one before and therefore, I underestimated the Lynx Klax a lot, in spite of all the almost all positive reviews I have read. No arguing. It is a must have title.

-Battlewheels: Marvellous! Full of action! Ego-shooting in armoured cars! Like in a boxing ring, one round after another. Non-stop tyre squealing action. Absolutely my game!

-S.T.U.N. Runner. I must say I´m not too talented. I find it only average. Graphics aside, which look superb, the gameplay somehow is not my thing. Or I need more training. I´m having much more success with Checkered Flag!

-Hydra. I´m afraid I seem to be too stupid for the controls. I hardly ever survive more than two levels. Fuel always empty, boom. Have I ever had a game longer than 1:30 ?!

-Chip´s Challenge: This is good. Lots of stuff to think about and lots left to discover. So far, it has been more in my backlist but it has much potential and will enter my heavy rotation soon. As soon as I manage the hard level in Rampart :)

-Robotron: Superb! I knew a "Llamatron" PC shareware game from the mid-Nineties, not knowing it was a translation from Robotron. So, welcome back, my old familiar friend! The gameplay is almost the same (it´s just not a spitting llama...)

-Crystal Mines II: Anny old Boulder Dash fan must love this roobot-on-wheels version. - Same applies as to Chip´s Challenge : I have it put back for later (after the racing fun and flying missions)

-Xybots: Tunnel-running and strafe-shooting robots. This game has depth. I usually find me playing it rarely less than half an hour at a time.

-Steel Talons: The steering is excellent, the flying feel is one of a kind, the missions offer lots of variety. I don´t mind the slow frame rate at all, I love this game 100%!

As of today, awaiting Shanghai and California Games coming from the UK. Stage coaches were faster than today´s "air mail" it seems....onwards to another chapter .)

Joust was a very difficult Arcade game, and the LYNX version is just as relentless.

I'm a heretic and cannot stand to play Blue Lightning, I think it's possibly the most overrated game on these forums. I'm not really a fan of most of the games designed by EPYX, I found the majority of them to have great graphics and shallow gameplay, or in the case of Chip's Challenge, the opposite was true.

OK...so far I seem to have my original wishlist together. Thanks for your help, and most of all, thanks to you AtariAge review writers!

There are still three I absolutely want at one time later, that´s Lynxopoly, Battlezone 2000 and Lemmings. They are premium-priced/rare, that´s why I have concentrated on the easier-to-get ones so far.

Battlezone... I definately want that one too, but it is quite uncommon and not available for under 30 Euro. Lemmings I don´t care about personally because I prefer other versions, and it is even more rare and pricey.

I´d recomment you start with Lynxopoly; and this has nothing to do with me doing the graphics! :D Seriously, it´s only 29 Euros + shipping, andcomes in a nice DS-like box with manual... and you are able to save your highscores. I think it´s a good value for money.

Soince you are from Germany I am surprised you don´t post at nexgam.de... after all, the Atari-section there is pretty active and up-to-date. :)

I'm a heretic and cannot stand to play Blue Lightning, I think it's possibly the most overrated game on these forums. I'm not really a fan of most of the games designed by EPYX, I found the majority of them to have great graphics and shallow gameplay, or in the case of Chip's Challenge, the opposite was true.

Hehe, shows how different tastes are. For me it is mostly the old arcade classics that members of this forum (being Atari-centric) naturally cherish so much that I find overrated. Paperboy, Ms. Pac-Man, Joust... this kind of stuff is really hard to stomach for me. My most intense gaming-time was the early 90ies, and in those days such arcade-oldies were usually not well-received by critics and players anymore; there was no revival of retro games likeas nowadays. I think that hurt the Lynx back then, and somehow this feeling about such games being boring never left me...

When I play something like Pac-Man or Joust, it´s 10 minutes maximum before I put it away for months. Not to mention Paperboy.

I do have a strange soft spot for Robotron, Battle Zone and Berzerk though, the latter one being not on Lynx officially.

Same thing with Sega; when I first learned of Afterburner or Space Harrier they were considered terribly outdated gameplay-zombies, and to this day I can´t stand them.

Funny enough... although I dislike Afterburner, I do like Blue Lightning. The vivid colors and varied landscapes scaling and rotating smoothly do what Afterburner can´t; they impress me so much on the tiny screen that I can look over the simplistic gameplay and enjoy the flight.^^

@ The_Laird : Surely I do! :)

@ 108Stars: I read the site a lot; before I discovered the Lynx I was somewhat of a GBA collector so I know your reviews pretty well. The change of navigation some months ago just makes it harder for me, sorry. ;) I´ll learn though! I am only active on three fora all in all and generally much more of a reader than a writer. I think I landed to register on AtariAge because of my big interest in Atari 2600 homebrews. One of which was being developed by beoran ("Ature") and it is fantastic! I´m a bit proud that I was a tiny part of the discussion group on here about it this summer. That made me, naturally, stick to this Lynx section ;)

About Lynxopoly, you will hear from me. Knowing myself I can maybe stand the temptation for one more week... ;)

The BIG temptation buying Battlezone 2000 for lots of dough from abroad I have as for now mitigated by getting the GBA cartrige "Atari Anniversiary"...also got this from California. If I can manage its version of Battlezone, getting the Lynx onemight be the logical step later.

Another totally different thing I need to do sooner or later is to lift off the lens from the Lynx2. Some dust particles are between the lens and the screen. When I´m curageous :)

OK - just bought Battlezone 2000 and Lemmings !! :) :) Took me some thinking and searching but after carefull studying reviews and test plays on the Handy emu, and after trying out "Battlezone" on the (rare) Atari Anniversiary GBA cartridge, I felt I need these ones of my wishlist now!

(I promise Lynxolopy will be next after that! The screenshots you have posted have won me over. It´s just that these two opportunities^^ came "faster".) :lust: :lust:

OK - just bought Battlezone 2000 and Lemmings !! :) :) Took me some thinking and searching but after carefull studying reviews and test plays on the Handy emu, and after trying out "Battlezone" on the (rare) Atari Anniversiary GBA cartridge, I felt I need these ones of my wishlist now!

(I promise Lynxolopy will be next after that! The screenshots you have posted have won me over. It´s just that these two opportunities^^ came "faster".) :lust: :lust:

Don't forget to try out the Easter Egg version of Battlezone. The completely different hidden game!

Lots of fun and a ot of extra gameplay value