IGNORED

Adaptors for the SIO2OSX

doctorclu

Hey, I have run SIO2OSX in the past and it ran well. I picked up the USB to serial adaptor that was recommended by the site, but over the years the adaptor died.

What adaptors do all you SIO2OSX out there use?

The recommended adaptor, or something else?

What I don't understand is why SIO2OSX doesn't support the USB version. Wasn't there supposed to be a program for OSX that would support it?

The author of SIO2OSX mentioned his desire to get his app working with the AtariMax SIO2PC USB version some while back, but IIRC he needed some info from Steve. I guess he doesn't have it yet. Which is a shame since I'd immediately buy the dual SIO2PC USB adapter the moment Mac support came along.

I believe you can run APE in a Windows VM on OS X and get support for the USB version but that's not really the point ...

Edited by spookt

What I don't understand is why SIO2OSX doesn't support the USB version. Wasn't there supposed to be a program for OSX that would support it?

The author of SIO2OSX mentioned his desire to get his app working with the AtariMax SIO2PC USB version some while back, but IIRC he needed some info from Steve. I guess he doesn't have it yet. Which is a shame since I'd immediately buy the dual SIO2PC USB adapter the moment Mac support came along.

I believe you can run APE in a Windows VM on OS X and get support for the USB version but that's not really the point ...

I gave up working on that topic, for it will never be finished. To make SIO2OSX run with the SIO2USB, you need the MacOSX hardware drivers for the SIO2USB. Stephen can´t create them, because he doesn´t own a Mac and buying one just for that topic doesn´t make too much sense. The author of SIO2OSX can do whatever he wants: As long as there are no OS X drivers for the SIO2USB, he will not be able to use it, because it just won´t be recognized by the system.

I am a Mac user and also have the SIO2USB. For me there are just two realistic opinions: Sell the SIO2USB and continue using the simple SIO2PC with an USB-serial converter (works perfectly fine), or buy APE and use the SIO2USB by running Windows in Parallels, which also works fine.

For I have a nice working SIO2PC and paid the shareware fee for Atari800MacX and SIO2OSX I think I will sell the SIO2USB and spend the money for another shareware payment of Atari800MacX and SIO2OSX, to make sure updates keep coming. :-)

I gave up working on that topic, for it will never be finished. To make SIO2OSX run with the SIO2USB, you need the MacOSX hardware drivers for the SIO2USB. Stephen can´t create them, because he doesn´t own a Mac and buying one just for that topic doesn´t make too much sense. The author of SIO2OSX can do whatever he wants: As long as there are no OS X drivers for the SIO2USB, he will not be able to use it, because it just won´t be recognized by the system.

I think what the author of SIO2OSX was suggesting was that Steve release enough information to him so that he could write the driver.I don't think anyone was expecting Steve to buy a Mac and write the driver himself.

Anyhow I'm not particularly hopeful about this happening. Unfortunately the serial to USB adapter I have doesn't work with my serial AtariMax SIO2PC and virtualised APE setup so I'll have to continue using an old Windows laptop for APE.

Edited by spookt

I think what the author of SIO2OSX was suggesting was that Steve release enough information to him so that he could write the driver.I don't think anyone was expecting Steve to buy a Mac and write the driver himself.

Anyhow I'm not particularly hopeful about this happening. Unfortunately the serial to USB adapter I have doesn't work with my serial AtariMax SIO2PC and virtualised APE setup so I'll have to continue using an old Windows laptop for APE.

I can't help folks that already have a cable, but for those who would like a simple, USB->SIO cable, Belboz found a neat solution in the FT232R board from SparkFun.

I wrote a Mac OS X program called SIO Server that supports this cable (and others based on the FTDI USB->RS232 chip). What's unique about SIO Server that it doesn't burn CPU cycles polling polling the com port. but you DO need a proper cable to use it.

Here is a link to the SIO Server documentation. It illustrates how to build a USB->SIO cable using a SparkFun FT232R board.

http://www.ellissoftworks.com/sioserver/docs

Here is a link to the latest version of SIO Server for Mac OS X:

http://www.ellissoftworks.com/sioserver/SIO%20Server.app.zip

Here is an image of SIO Server, taken from the documentation:

SIOServe_09_ii_Group.png

I can't help folks that already have a cable, but for those who would like a simple, USB->SIO cable, Belboz found a neat solution in the FT232R board from SparkFun.

In case anyone in the UK is interested it looks like you can pick the boards up here for £12. I think I'll pick one up after pay day and try out SIO Server. Thanks for reminding me about that mellis!

In case anyone in the UK is interested it looks like you can pick the boards up here for £12. I think I'll pick one up after pay day and try out SIO Server. Thanks for reminding me about that mellis!

It's great that you were able to identify a local source for the FT232R board.

I use an EyeTV video capture device to acquire S-video from my 800XL and then display it on my Mac Pro, and I boot the 800XL via SIO Server on running on the same system (connected using one of these USB->SIO cables). With Xcode configured to use CC65 and CA65, I've got a complete 8-bit development system that costs me only the 800XL's footprint in terms of desk space. I usually situate the 800XL behind my aluminum keyboard, so that it sits just in front of the Mac Pro's display.

I hope you find the software useful.

• 3 years later...