IGNORED

7800 XM1 Update Status...

Curt Vendel

Hi all...

Okay, sales are going fairly well so far, I am hoping all of the people who committed to the #2 option will step up in the coming days or so and jump onboard....

Also I would ask everyone who is interested and excited about this project to spread the word around the Net to other message forums, your facebook and twitter pages please. I've gotten around to a few today, but I need to focus on getting this project moving into its next stages, so if everyone would please help out and spread the word around about the project and the order page, it doesn't just help me, it really helps everyone by pulling all of the needed funding into place as quickly as possible.

So to the update:

#1: Tooling and Die company was contacted this morning to give the go ahead and I wired over the first part of the downpayment to get the ball rolling

#2: Finalizing the "texturing" of the plastics to have them match as closely as possible the Exp Module to the 7800's including the smooth polished sides as well.

#3: Starting work with the aluminum nameplate firm to get the first samples going in the next 1-2 weeks so that the XM1 will have the same matching plate as the 7800's.

#4: Sending out RAM Test Modules to the coders end of next week so that they can test their games in expanded memory.

Curt

• Like 2

50 more units and the project is fully paid for, so even if no more were to sell after that, the project is fully paid for. I'm sure once I post the pic's of the unit with the aluminum label on it and the Silver Box sample, that will generate more sales, but once another 50 sell, if no others sell, and this is a $0.00 profit project, I don't care because everyone came together and made something normally out of reach in a hobbyist setting become a reality.

Curt

Curt,

How many of these do you plan on making. What is the break even number?

Lloyd

• Like 1

That is just fantastic news Curt. I am sure you are going to get well over 50 more orders just as soon as word spreads throughout the internet classic gaming community. I am so glad I placed my order as this is going to be one Christmas gift I am *really* going to look forward to!

I'm sure there are also a lot of members here that dont have the cash just now to pay for it so the orders will keep on rolling in over the next few weeks ;) Can't wait until the project is given the go-ahead!! :cool:

It would be AWESOME if a game was available for this in time for Christmas too!

It does feel like a bit of a relaunch, doesn't it? Like a new addition to the family, but with an old familiar soul. :D

Eventually, it will sell over that, as people come to realize all this unit may be capable of and what they might be able to anticipate. as the first game or two is officially announced. ;)

But as eightbit says, the orders will come over time as interest spreads and as paydays roll around. ;) The most important part is always paying off the next little bit....

(As a side note, one spec I'm uncertain of,- the A7800 still addresses RAM/ROM in 8K chunks, doesn't it? I had sort have gotten the impression that the mapper-alike functions might be allowing it to address memory in 16K chunks for some strange reason.)

Edited by AtariNerd

(As a side note, one spec I'm uncertain of,- the A7800 still addresses RAM/ROM in 8K chunks, doesn't it? I had sort have gotten the impression that the mapper-alike functions might be allowing it to address memory in 16K chunks for some strange reason.)

Nope! There is no cart "window" on the 7800 akin to the A8s. Games over 48K on the 7800 are bank switched so that different 16K pages of ROM appear at address 0x8000. The expansion module RAM is also bank switched. It has an upper/lower bank switch scheme so that any 8K page in the 128K can be mapped to either 0x4000 or 0x6000 or both.

• 3 weeks later...

Only 50 more units and the project is fully paid up for the tooling and die costs!!! Keep up the great work everyone and thank you!

Curt

I was kinda wondering how far away we are now. Looks like it was at 139 on 9-27 and as of 10-08 it was at 119. I was hoping 19 more and it's fully paid for.

We're close, I've got things rolling and I'm hoping in 2 weeks when the photo's of the units with the nameplates and such as shown, it will interest more people in preordering. If I fall short, then the rest is out of pocket and I'm sure more units will sell and those funds recouped. If it turns out a loss, it may not be that bad a deal for me because it'll prove that micro-scale production quality products can be done that will look like high volume products and hopefully the next time around more people will have the confidence to jump in, right now a lot of great people have jumped on board to make this happen and those who haven't, I can respect their position, it could be doubt, it could be economics, but either way, this will work out for everyone.

Curt

Only 50 more units and the project is fully paid up for the tooling and die costs!!! Keep up the great work everyone and thank you!

Curt

I was kinda wondering how far away we are now. Looks like it was at 139 on 9-27 and as of 10-08 it was at 119. I was hoping 19 more and it's fully paid for.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey Curt, I put up my pre-order for the expansion module. How will I know if I went for option one or two? All I've seen on the product page was a description for the XM with the ports, memory, and POKEY/YM2515.

Option 1 was for a high score module only which Curt never took preorders for so you've got "Option 2" which is the full expansion module.

Might be having trouble with one of his suppliers...the cart guide fabrication being handled by another company, apart from the main case, whom on his last update on that part, he noted they hadn't made an attempt to communicate with him by supplying samples or really any sort of update. That was a couple weeks back, so just a wild guess on my part.

Edited by AtariNerd

Hi All,

Quickie update:

Still behind schedule, pending items...

1. Nameplates (these are REALLY driving me nuts!) are still not here

2. Boxart not finished - because I can't take final photo's without the product with nameplates

3. Printing - Boxes are here, but the color box sleeves are not since they haven't been run without box art

4. Manuals - done, used lower res placeholder graphic on manuals which I can't use on the box as I need it in 300dpi

5. Cartridge guides - have to go with standard 2600 guides modified, the company I used has disappeared, no one answers the phones and looks like I've lost my deposit with them, so I'm working on a interim solution until I can have new cartridge guides done.

6. Christmas & New Years, holidays are dead ahead and I seriously doubt I'm going to get much of this resolved in the next couple of days before closing up for the holidays.

So I'm sorry to say we are looking at January to ship now, probably at the end of the 1st week, so project is now going to be about 5-6 weeks behind schedule :-(

Curt

• Like 4