IGNORED

Lynx Moddy'ng or hardware hacking

carmel_andrews

Would it be possible to moddy or hardware hack a lynx

idea's for possible hacks/mod's

USB and usb to atari standard joystick port (idealy for 2 button atari compatible joysticks) so you can play any lynx game using either an 2 button atari compatible joystick or a pc compatible usb joypad

Also the usb port would be useful for using memory sticks to save games to (for games that have or possess game save features)

CF/SD mem card port (for same reasons as per the last)

Also, in regards to CF/ SD mem card and usb mem. sticks, would be the lynx way of delivering new games content bearing in mind you could probably stick the equivalent of half the current lynx software library on the smallest mem. cap CF/SD mem card and imagine what unlimited mem. cap devices like SD mem cards and CF mem cards could do for future development of Lynx games

TV/video out mod...ideal for playing on a bigger screen (so the lynx becomes both a handheld and desktop gaming system)

65816 upgrade (pref. the higher mhz versions), so people can program much more advanced games (due to more memory acceass...16 megs) and also faster processing speed (compared to 65c02/65SC02 on the lynx) and probably gives the programmer more code optimisation compared to the variants of 6502 the lynx uses

Anyone with anymore

Edited by carmel_andrews

A TV-out is a nice dream, but obviously hard to do with the tech infos available for the Lynx, since it did not use standard parts as I understand.

USB would be nice, but I wonder if controlling an USB port would not demand too much processing power... I mean, USB is not plug & play, to use USB modern operating systems have drivers implemented. You can also find USB drivers on the motherboard discs when you buy a new one. So I guess it is not so much an mechanical or electronic task, but also a software task.

Replacing the CPU is probably possible. Some people replaced the 68 000 in their Mega Drives with an 68 010 (?). However in that case it does cause some compatibilioty issues with MD games. So there is a chance that replacing the 6502 with a 65816 might also cause some of the original games to cause problems.

So I believe if you want hardware enhancements the better option is to use a removeable add-on. Or like I did with my Mega Drive, overclocking the CPU. I have my MD with a switch; I can run games that would normally have framerate issues with 10 Mhz, but if a game becomes glitchy or anything I can always switch back to the standard 7,67 Mhz.

68000 to 68010 is a bad idea...the 010 has v. limited mem. addressing capabilities (1 meg if i recall correctly), some people told me it could be likened to comparing a duron with an athlon (and similar for sempron/athlon as well), i.e a cut down/crippled version of the other

How about turning the comlynx cable to full networking capability, i.e connecting the lynx to the comlynx cable and connecting that to the network port of a pc or mac so you can play online lynx games with other lynx users

what about doing a double gfx/sound hardware thing (like stereo pokey/dual antic on the A8) and increasing the gfx capability/resolution and sound capabilities

Or even better then a tv/video out, how about hacking a lynx into a ninty ds type affair, i.e a lynx with 2 screens enabling 2 players to play against each other on the same unit (or alternatively a lynx that can play 2 screened games)

68000 to 68010 is a bad idea...the 010 has v. limited mem. addressing capabilities (1 meg if i recall correctly), some people told me it could be likened to comparing a duron with an athlon (and similar for sempron/athlon as well), i.e a cut down/crippled version of the other

Nope! The 68010 is a superior chip to the 68000. You are thinking of the 68008.

There is an overclocking mod for the lynx, but from what I understand it ends up making the music play faster as well...

I still think that a Comlynx to PC adapter is possible. You'd also need a client on the PC, and a server to manage the "rooms" where people can meet up to play their games. Please someone build it!!!! :lust:

• 1 year later...

How about turning the comlynx cable to full networking capability, i.e connecting the lynx to the comlynx cable and connecting that to the network port of a pc or mac so you can play online lynx games with other lynx users

I had been thinking about this myself and found this thread.

Would using an Arduino make this easier? The Comlynx cable could be connected to the I/O pins on the Arduino, which is then connected to the PC via USB or ethernet. Software would have to be written to connect to the other players.