IGNORED

New Skunkboard on the way?

Sauron

GOAT Store Skunkboard Pre-Order Page

Just saw this a few minutes ago. So there's a new batch of Skunkboards coming? That's good news for those of us who had to skip out on the first two runs. Just too bad no news was posted about it here yet.

Even better news for you, Sauron - I just sent you one of my skunks! (the one I took back from MrPink as it didn't like his Mac, sending him a Jagware flash cart instead). So don't go buying one just yet :lol:

I just got the email from them... I already have a skunk2 so THIS was interesting to me http://www.goatstore.com/Products/Atari/Jaguar/152930/SkunkBoard_Box_and_Manual/

Although mine is in a cart shell, so I don't know if it would fit.

GOAT Store is running the show on this one. I heard about it the same way you did. ;)

Last year we made a public offer: Anyone in the community who wants to sell Skunkboards, can buy them from us in large quantities. After several attempts fell through, I'm very pleased that GOAT took us up on the offer!

Selling these short run products is a huge effort and significant financial risk, for less profit than a weekend job at McDonald's.

I'm glad there are folks like GOAT Store out there, willing to serve the diehard fans of this tiny community!

- KS

Edited by kskunk
  • Like 5

GOAT Store is running the show on this one. I heard about it the same way you did. ;)

Last year we made a public offer: Anyone in the community who wants to sell Skunkboards, can buy them from us in large quantities. After several attempts fell through, I'm very pleased that GOAT took us up on the offer!

Selling these short run products is a huge effort and significant financial risk, for less profit than a weekend job at McDonald's.

I'm glad there are folks like GOAT Store out there, willing to serve the diehard fans of this tiny community!

- KS

Big :thumbsup: to goatstore, kskunk & tursi for skunk III :)

• Like 3

Even better news for you, Sauron - I just sent you one of my skunks! (the one I took back from MrPink as it didn't like his Mac, sending him a Jagware flash cart instead). So don't go buying one just yet :lol:

I'm tempted to buy one anyway, it never hurts to have a backup. :cool:

• Like 1

Just saw this a few minutes ago. So there's a new batch of Skunkboards coming? That's good news for those of us who had to skip out on the first two runs. Just too bad no news was posted about it here yet.

Heh, sorry! I was actually just on my way over here to post it! The news is less than six hours old, I just got distracted with needing to run an errand with my son before I could post. But, yup, you basically said it. As was also said above, we are running additional boxes and manuals for those who wish to box up their SkunkBoard Rev 1 or 2 boards. You can pre-order those through us too.

For the pre-order period, please do make sure that you pre-order by the December date if it is at all possible. That is when the final determination will be made of exactly how many boards to produce, and we really want to ensure that any and all demand is taken care of. I really have no doubt that we will have enough boards to make the batch, in fact I almost didn't put the whole refund thing in there -- we're at nearly 25% of what we need to do the run already -- but it is very important to determine how much demand is out there that people do the pre-order. The last thing we want to do is produce either too few or too many!

Any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll try to stop back to answer them regularly :) Or contact me in PM or through the GOAT Store!

• Like 3

Heh, sorry! I was actually just on my way over here to post it! The news is less than six hours old, I just got distracted with needing to run an errand with my son before I could post. But, yup, you basically said it. As was also said above, we are running additional boxes and manuals for those who wish to box up their SkunkBoard Rev 1 or 2 boards. You can pre-order those through us too.

For the pre-order period, please do make sure that you pre-order by the December date if it is at all possible. That is when the final determination will be made of exactly how many boards to produce, and we really want to ensure that any and all demand is taken care of. I really have no doubt that we will have enough boards to make the batch, in fact I almost didn't put the whole refund thing in there -- we're at nearly 25% of what we need to do the run already -- but it is very important to determine how much demand is out there that people do the pre-order. The last thing we want to do is produce either too few or too many!

Any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll try to stop back to answer them regularly :) Or contact me in PM or through the GOAT Store!

Is the Rev3 also going to be two banks like the Rev2 board?

Is the Rev3 also going to be two banks like the Rev2 board?

Yes it will. The only potential major changes between it and the 2nd Rev which are planned at the moment is to do a couple changes to try to make the boards more stable, so that they do not have the potential to burn out the flash memory, or perhaps that they have 'less of a potential' to burn out the memory, as we can't completely guarantee it obviously. We are also looking at some other upgrades, but that is the major change.

As was also said above, we are running additional boxes and manuals for those who wish to box up their SkunkBoard Rev 1 or 2 boards. You can pre-order those through us too.

Just to be clear, are you referring to a "cardboard box" (or something similar) to store the Skunkboard when it's not in use, or is this going to be a cartridge shell-type thing to cover and protect the bare-board Skunk? Because my Rev 2 Skunk came in a cardboard box, but I would love to have a cartridge shell wrapped around it. (Perhaps you guys could consider making and selling something like this, if you have extra cart shells.)

Kudos to you for doing another run of these! :D

Cheers,

Smeg

Just to be clear, are you referring to a "cardboard box" (or something similar) to store the Skunkboard when it's not in use, or is this going to be a cartridge shell-type thing to cover and protect the bare-board Skunk? Because my Rev 2 Skunk came in a cardboard box, but I would love to have a cartridge shell wrapped around it. (Perhaps you guys could consider making and selling something like this, if you have extra cart shells.)

Think something like this:

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=1096&BoxStyleID=76

It is NOT a generic box, but it is a box so you can line it up with the other Jaguar stuff on your shelf. We are NOT planning on doing a case for these at this time, although we will look into the possibility of doing a case *as an upgrade* as soon as we can.

Just pre-ordered one myself. Thanks for the info!

Thanks much!

Also, I urge everyone who is planning on pre-ordering, if you can please do pre-order before the 12/1 deadline. We're trying to determine exactly how many of these to create, and we are about 33% of the way to the smallest batch we can run, or 10% of the way to the size of the batch we would rather run. If we can determine sooner which size batch to make, we can put them into production earlier :)

Thanks for all the pre-orders already everyone!

Think something like this:

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=1096&BoxStyleID=76

It is NOT a generic box, but it is a box so you can line it up with the other Jaguar stuff on your shelf. We are NOT planning on doing a case for these at this time, although we will look into the possibility of doing a case *as an upgrade* as soon as we can.

Thanks, Dan, for the clarification. I hope you do consider making cart shells at some future point, since I would think they'd be fairly inexpensive for you to produce. Those of us without a dremel or any gouging tools (or any skills with such tools) thank you in advance. :D

Cheers,

Smeg

Well bear in mind that's $19.00 for parts, no labor etc... Obviously it's not going to be as costly as a skunkboard but there are pros and cons to both (and I can't really make a comparison as the flash cart is not yet availible)...

I will tell you that the Skunkboard is a quality piece of equipment and well worth the cost. Also it _appears_ programing the Skunk is the easiest of the two using just a generic USB cable.

• Like 1

I may be interested in getting one, then again what about the new flash cart thats coming out as well.

really a tough choice spend 100 for skunk or spend 19 for a flash cart >>

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/169213-cheap-cartridges-for-developers-and-gamers/page__view__findpost__p__2092748

We're not forcing anyone to get a SkunkBoard, we just know that it is a reliable and in-demand piece of hardware that a lot of people really wanted to see more of. If the Flash cart satisfies your needs and you're willing to wait for the final pricing and production to be complete (which could be quicker than us for all I know), that's fine by us. Pre-sales so far have indicated that a lot of people really do still want SkunkBoards, and we're happy that we can help provide them!

• Like 3

I may be interested in getting one, then again what about the new flash cart thats coming out as well.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/169213-cheap-cartridges-for-developers-and-gamers/page__view__findpost__p__2092748

Don't know if it is such a tough choice. From my point of view both carts are something pretty different even though both can load programs.

I for example would not have the means to upload something via bjl cable (have neither port nor cable) where the skunboard is really comfortable now with usb and Belboz' GUI.

But I guess the real point is that the skunk is a dev device in the first place and the new flashcart allows for inexpensive cart releases so it comes down to what you want the cart for.

If you just want to load some betas or whatnot and have the possibility to do it via bjl cable then you have a very cheap way to do it for 19.

Actually it is a really great choice considering what people had to pay for flashcarts and alpines before these devices where avaiable.

• Like 3

We're not forcing anyone to get a SkunkBoard, we just know that it is a reliable and in-demand piece of hardware that a lot of people really wanted to see more of. If the Flash cart satisfies your needs and you're willing to wait for the final pricing and production to be complete (which could be quicker than us for all I know), that's fine by us. Pre-sales so far have indicated that a lot of people really do still want SkunkBoards, and we're happy that we can help provide them!

I'm still leaning toward a skunk board since I've got Tiny toons CGE disc.

money is tight for me.

what I'm really looking for is another Jag CD player as mine works to a certain degree:

Reads Jag CDS good.

but only recognizes the memory cart (won't recognize other carts including protector SE which has bypass)

if you have skunk for sale at MGC, I might be able get one then.

• Like 1

Although the Jagware Flash cart is not yet released, we can see they are aimed at two different markets.

Skunkboard is aimed at developers. It allows you to upload software to the Jaguar, test it, communicate with it, and reset the Jaguar, all from your keyboard over USB.

The Jagware flash cart, as I understand it, is aimed at publishers, people who need an inexpensive way to release their product. It can also be used for development, using a parallel port and a BJL cable, but it's unclear how much software support for this will be included.

Both devices are capable of running existing software and betas, although Skunk blocks some current titles and the Jagware flash does not. Both devices use similar technology and will have similar incompatibilities. Jagware's flash is much cheaper, so if that's all you want to do, maybe it's the better choice. It might even be cheap enough to buy several and leave the betas on them (final price not being set yet).

Skunkboard has got a few years in the field now, so we have a bit of proof of concept going. ;) It's a more expensive device but this is because it's designed to do more. And as always we're willing to share the datasheets (not that we need to, the chips are labelled) to anyone who wants to develop the USB ports further.

• Like 3