IGNORED

Educational System Master Cartridge info wanted

calfranklin

What was the Atari Educational System Master Cartridge CXL4001 used for? Are there other programs on cassette or disks that worked with this program? In case you're interested, someone on Ebay is selling one of these carts with a starting bid of $49.00 (plus $3.00 S&H). I already own a loose cart, but have never been able to figure out what it was used for?

• Like 1

There is a series of tapes that work with it that I am aware of. If I recall they used the audio track along with programs loading from the data track.

I have the Atari Educational System Talk & Teach Courseware Catalog at home that lists the companion tapes. I'll see if I can get a scan

There are two versions of this cartridge - the Atari one with the "flying owl" logo, which you can see at http://www.atarimuseum.com/atarieducation/education-menu/edu-menu.htm or you can see a partial image of the cartridge at http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/xe_game.htm (do an in-page search for educational system manager). Brad also has several of the original titles listed for historical purposes, but just two sets of tapes.

The second version of the cartridge is the Dorsett Educational Systems one (they actually did all of the Talk and Teach lectures for Atari). You can see an example at eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3102555273771?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310255527377&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] or check out a 1983 ad on Google for the entire package: http://books.google.com/books?id=jzjRzYMdo4sC&pg=PA137&lpg=PA137&dq=dorsett+educational+systems+atari&source=bl&ots=YFuw69UR_X&sig=1X2JaUAxuuQcXE_G_OXk0w805Jw&hl=en&ei=JlmyTPyUK8ednAf1m6GJCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CB8Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=dorsett%20educational%20systems%20atari&f=false

Sadly Dorsett merged with another company which in turn got bought out by a maker of novelty goods. I dunno if anyone has unearthed a treasure trove of tapes yet. But I did finally get my hands on two of the US History tapes.

Here's how it works. Start an A8 with the Education master cartridge, and a connected cassette player (I've been using a 410 for right now, but only because my 1010 is in storage, I aim to get it out this week and test it, I might post a video clip online if I get better results). Press start when prompted, and various lectures will begin, AND text/graphics will follow the lectures on screen. The graphics aren't that exciting, simple Atascii art, but still kinda cool. Periodically, you get prompted to answer a question. Press #1 on the keyboard if the leftmost answer on the screen is correct, #2 if it's the one in the center, or #3 if it's the one on the right (sometimes you only get a choice of #1 and #3). The tapes are long, but are easily stopped between lectures, that can be resumed later.

BUT, due to the age of the cassettes, although I've had no problems with the audio (so far), the text/graphics being drawn simultaneously on the screen get 'glitchy.' There's probably no real way to help this short of some really good dubbing/audio cleaning software. If anyone is interested, I've been kicking around the idea of re-recording just the lectures and saving them without the data.

Oh and as far as I've been able to tell (so far, owning just 2 tapes in the US History set of four, and the spelling set that I haven't tried yet), these packages did NOT come with any kinds of guides or workbooks, unlike the later foreign language sets (Spanish, German, French and Italian, which also run with just BASIC, and don't need the Education Master Cartridge).

• Like 3

There are two versions of this cartridge - the Atari one with the "flying owl" logo, which you can see at http://www.atarimuse...nu/edu-menu.htm or you can see a partial image of the cartridge at http://www.best-elec...com/xe_game.htm (do an in-page search for educational system manager). Brad also has several of the original titles listed for historical purposes, but just two sets of tapes.

The second version of the cartridge is the Dorsett Educational Systems one (they actually did all of the Talk and Teach lectures for Atari). You can see an example at eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3102555273771?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310255527377&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] or check out a 1983 ad on Google for the entire package: http://books.google....20atari&f=false

Sadly Dorsett merged with another company which in turn got bought out by a maker of novelty goods. I dunno if anyone has unearthed a treasure trove of tapes yet. But I did finally get my hands on two of the US History tapes.

Here's how it works. Start an A8 with the Education master cartridge, and a connected cassette player (I've been using a 410 for right now, but only because my 1010 is in storage, I aim to get it out this week and test it, I might post a video clip online if I get better results). Press start when prompted, and various lectures will begin, AND text/graphics will follow the lectures on screen. The graphics aren't that exciting, simple Atascii art, but still kinda cool. Periodically, you get prompted to answer a question. Press #1 on the keyboard if the leftmost answer on the screen is correct, #2 if it's the one in the center, or #3 if it's the one on the right (sometimes you only get a choice of #1 and #3). The tapes are long, but are easily stopped between lectures, that can be resumed later.

BUT, due to the age of the cassettes, although I've had no problems with the audio (so far), the text/graphics being drawn simultaneously on the screen get 'glitchy.' There's probably no real way to help this short of some really good dubbing/audio cleaning software. If anyone is interested, I've been kicking around the idea of re-recording just the lectures and saving them without the data.

Oh and as far as I've been able to tell (so far, owning just 2 tapes in the US History set of four, and the spelling set that I haven't tried yet), these packages did NOT come with any kinds of guides or workbooks, unlike the later foreign language sets (Spanish, German, French and Italian, which also run with just BASIC, and don't need the Education Master Cartridge).

That's great info :)

Does anyone want me to scan the catalog of tapes?

Huh, it looks like the Dorsett version was released twice. Thanks to PitfallJones's list http://www.pitfalljones.com/0800-med.htm - start with the "Original releases" and you'll find the Atari one, then scroll down to the Applications set, and you'll see one version of the Dorsett cartridge (the one I have), which is a Dorsett label on an Atari cartridge case. BUT also have a look at http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/116882-atari-8-bit-cartridges-a-big-list/page__view__findpost__p__1415592 and you'll see the same Dorsett label on a generic looking cartridge case.

Personally I think trying to find and "rescue" the tapes will be more interesting, but if anyone is still working on a complete set of cartridges, there ya go. :)

Huh, it looks like the Dorsett version was released twice. Thanks to PitfallJones's list http://www.pitfalljones.com/0800-med.htm - start with the "Original releases" and you'll find the Atari one, then scroll down to the Applications set, and you'll see one version of the Dorsett cartridge (the one I have), which is a Dorsett label on an Atari cartridge case. BUT also have a look at http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/116882-atari-8-bit-cartridges-a-big-list/page__view__findpost__p__1415592 and you'll see the same Dorsett label on a generic looking cartridge case.

Personally I think trying to find and "rescue" the tapes will be more interesting, but if anyone is still working on a complete set of cartridges, there ya go. :)

Thanks for all of the very interesting info concerning the Atari Master Educational Cartridge. I remember once booting this cart on my 800XL, but it only displayed a simple text menu. Has anyone ever been able to upload the Talk and Teach Series so Atarians could enjoy them via an Atari 8-bit emulator? I would love to be able to simply read the lessons on my computer.

There are two versions of this cartridge - the Atari one with the "flying owl" logo, which you can see at http://www.atarimuse...nu/edu-menu.htm or you can see a partial image of the cartridge at http://www.best-elec...com/xe_game.htm (do an in-page search for educational system manager). Brad also has several of the original titles listed for historical purposes, but just two sets of tapes.

The second version of the cartridge is the Dorsett Educational Systems one (they actually did all of the Talk and Teach lectures for Atari). You can see an example at eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3102555273771?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310255527377&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] or check out a 1983 ad on Google for the entire package: http://books.google....20atari&f=false

That's great info :)

Does anyone want me to scan the catalog of tapes?

Excellent response on the use of this cart. Yes, I would like to see the scanned catalogs.

Excellent response on the use of this cart. Yes, I would like to see the scanned catalogs.

Here's a new scan of the Atari Talk & Teach Cassette Courseware Catalog, Rev.3 (1979).

Ah, you got to it before me, that's the exact catalog I have

I now have three of those booklets/catalogs, I'll check to see if there is anything any different between the three, but I doubt it. Would anyone be interested in a video clip showing any of the tapes running with the cartridge? I just got sealed copies of Psychology and Sociology from Brad@Best, so those will probably play the cleanest.

I will go through my stuff this weekend, but I know I have at least one Dorsett Cassette. I think I have both the Atari and the Dorsett versions of the cartridge.

I suppose it would be a good idea to archive these things somehow before all of the tapes turn to dust.

• 1 year later...

There seems to be two copy variations but the original, non-reproduced version, as I am told, is on the Atari Edu System Master cart with a Dorestt label stuck on top of it.

Pitfall jones's website shows this correct version. I'm not sure who made the copies???

I have about 18 or so Atari versions of the cassettes.

http://blog.8bitcafe...nal-system.aspx

Edited by chrislynn5

I'm *guessing* because I don't own one, but I would imagine that the brown plastic cartridge with the gold label would be the one that starts up with a Dorsett copyright notice, while the Atari carts, including the ones with Dorsett labels, all come up with an Atari copyright notice. I rarely see anything for the system up for sale, though I have doubled my collection of original sets of Atari branded cassettes to 10 (if I remember correctly, that means I still have six to find).

Ok, does anyone know how many cassettes were branded under Atari and how many under Dorsett?

I just reviewed what I have and it is 25 Atari branded cassettes (all in great shape) (Header: Atari Educational System). And Physics isn't one of the catagories???

Then I have another6 cassettes in the same label variation, minus the Atari Educational System header, but are games. ie. Space Invaders??

Thanx.

Edited by chrislynn5

There are 16 Atari titles: US History, US Government, Supervisory Skills, World History, Basic Sociology, Counseling Procedures, Principles of Accounting, Physics, Great Classics (I'd love to have this one), Business Communications, Basic Psychology, Effective Writing, Spelling, Basic Electricty and Algebra. When Dorsett took the carts and tapes back, they sold those 16 and several more. I'll try to scan their listings if I can find the time.

No, but it would be one step closer. :) I need 6 more - that one, World History, Business Communications, Basic Electricity, Principles of Economics (which I left out of my above list, oops) and the original Atari Algebra, which is the same as the Dorsett one, so no real loss. I've got a cassette to cassette recorder (an RCA that's about 10 years old) if anyone wants to lend me tapes; I'll copy them and send them back. Worth a try, I think, and cheaper than eBay! :)