IGNORED

Project "OverAqu"

the-topdog

This is the official announcement of the Mattel Aquarius Overlay Reproduction project, codenamed OverAqu ;)

I have been in talks with a laser fabricator about making printable cardstock sheets with micro-perforated punchouts. His original "estimate" was quite viable and got me excited about the success of the project. But then he finally came back with a quote... it was TEN TIMES what he had estimated which made the overall cost of the overlays quite undesirable.

So now I am looking into a couple other options, which include die cutting or purchasing an electronic cutter and doing them myself. The most attractive solution is to purchase the equipment myself but I would have to know if there is enough demand for the overlays to make it viable.

I'm projecting that I will sell single sets of keyboard and controller overlays for each game at $2.50 each or complete sets for the 12 games that have overlays for $25. I will be talking to Jay about bundling sets with the Aquarius multicart for $20 for the complete sets.

So if you are interested in these reproduction overlays, please indicate your interest here so I can determine the best route to take.

Edited by the-topdog

Topdog, I dont know if you are familiar with the AccuCut die cutters or not. Typically they are use by scrapbookers or kindergarten teachers and the like, to die cut letters and shapes out of paper. Anyhow, they also make custom dies as shown in this link.

http://www.accucutcraft.com/Custom_Dies-aa168c1p44.html?

Dont know the cost, but it might be an option. Morgan

Topdog, I dont know if you are familiar with the AccuCut die cutters or not. Typically they are use by scrapbookers or kindergarten teachers and the like, to die cut letters and shapes out of paper. Anyhow, they also make custom dies as shown in this link.

http://www.accucutcraft.com/Custom_Dies-aa168c1p44.html?

Dont know the cost, but it might be an option. Morgan

Thanks, I am sending in for a quote from them... I am also looking into buying this electronic cutter http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Silhouette-SD-Digital-Craft-Cutter-with-10-Gift-Card/4400810/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=91FB9A35-52C1-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

• 2 weeks later...

TD, did you get any info back from either of these companies yet? Morgan

The quotes I have been getting are right in the $200-250 range for a die that I can use with my 2 ton paper press, but that is also the same cost as an actual electronic cutter. So I opted for the cutter since I will be able to do other projects with it like creating boxes and overlays for other systems.

I ordered it and it is scheduled for delivery next Thursday. I figure it will take me a couple days to figure it out and then start producing actual overlay reproductions.

TD, did you get any info back from either of these companies yet? Morgan

The quotes I have been getting are right in the $200-250 range for a die that I can use with my 2 ton paper press, but that is also the same cost as an actual electronic cutter. So I opted for the cutter since I will be able to do other projects with it like creating boxes and overlays for other systems.

I ordered it and it is scheduled for delivery next Thursday. I figure it will take me a couple days to figure it out and then start producing actual overlay reproductions.

I think you made the right choice there. I am betting the costs wont be easy to recoup on the Aquarius project, but when you move on to the other stuff, you might be able to at least make a few bucks to help support your addiction hobby. Morgan

In anticipation of the arrival of the electronic cutter, I have obtained the cardstock for the project (enough to do overlays for 250 games), and will print a few test sheets to cut with the machine when it arrives. This is getting exciting!

Dont get so excited that you forget to take pictures!!! Morgan

you have details on your 2 ton press and a pic?

can you make game boxes and stuff?

jay might need your services. ;)

......and me.

It is just a 2 ton, hand crank, paper press from the turn of the century... perfect for die cutting. I can take some pics this weekend... it isn't anything too special although it looks cool.

The electronic cutter will be able to cut small boxes... perfect for cartridges... I am limited to 8-1/2"x11" material.

OMFG this cutter is awesome!!!!!!!!!! :lust:

The electronic cutter arrived today, so the first thing I did when I got home was to import my overlay template and try a test cut before I even started dinner :D

Attached are some pictures of the first test cut... it was almost perfect! I just have to scale it slightly... it was off by just 1/16 of an inch overall. Once I get the sizing done, then all that will be left is to try it on a couple printed sheets to get the image to register with the cut and we will be in business!

I am so excited! If all goes according to my evil plan, I will have the first batch of reproduction overlays started this weekend!

Wooooooohoooooooo! (Bet you can't tell that I'm stoked about this) :D

post-24636-128823378596_thumb.jpg

post-24636-128823379686_thumb.jpg

Edited by the-topdog
  • Like 1

The electronic cutter arrived today, so the first thing I did when I got home was to import my overlay template and try a test cut before I even started dinner :D

Attached are some pictures of the first test cut... it was almost perfect! I just have to scale it slightly... it was off by just 1/16 of an inch overall. Once I get the sizing done, then all that will be left is to try it on a couple printed sheets to get the image to register with the cut and we will be in business!

I am so excited! If all goes according to my evil plan, I will have the first batch of reproduction overlays started this weekend!

Damn, you are the cool kid in the school now. Lots of other potential projects for that bad boy!! Morgan

wow. i wonder how it works? i may have to buy one to find out!

topdog, what kind of paper does this cut? can it cut the same material that the aquarius factory overlays are made out of?

Edited by revolutionika

wow. i wonder how it works? i may have to buy one to find out!

topdog, what kind of paper does this cut? can it cut the same material that the aquarius factory overlays are made out of?

You can cut up to 78lb cardstock on it... I could only find 65lb in my area so they are only as thick as a business card. you can cut vinyl, paper, card stock, magnet sheets and thin plastic. The factory overlays are probably too thick for this machine to cut. It is essentially nothing but an A-size plotter, but instead of a pen, it just has a blade... you can actually use a pen in it like a plotter if you want as well.

I'm hunting for some 78lb material locally, but I might have to get it online... then my reproduction overlays would be thicker and more durable and I'd be able to cut boxes for custom cartridges with it too.

Very nice job! Those look really good! I'm especially pleased to see that the cutter can handle square corners so well.

Here's an idea that occurs to me: might it be possible to use a sheet of transparent vinyl adhesive to cover the card stock before you cut it? This might make the overlays more durable, and at the same time, prevent the toner from flaking off of the paper.

Very nice job! Those look really good! I'm especially pleased to see that the cutter can handle square corners so well.

Here's an idea that occurs to me: might it be possible to use a sheet of transparent vinyl adhesive to cover the card stock before you cut it? This might make the overlays more durable, and at the same time, prevent the toner from flaking off of the paper.

I was thinking the same thing :D

Once I get a finalized working overlay pattern, I was thinking on experimenting with various materials and combinations of materials to see what will look/work the best and give us more durability than just printed cardstock.

I was thinking the same thing :D

Once I get a finalized working overlay pattern, I was thinking on experimenting with various materials and combinations of materials to see what will look/work the best and give us more durability than just printed cardstock.

I just took a quick look around, and it seems that there are vinyl adhesives that can be printed with an ordinary inkjet printer. I don't know how the quality would compare, but another alternative to consider is printing the overlay text/graphics onto one of these printable sheets instead of printing directly onto the card stock. This way, you could stick the printed vinyl onto plain black card stock and cut it, which would use a lot less ink/toner than printing the black onto white card stock.

EDIT: Actually, that idea might not work out. I just remembered that most of the text on the Aquarius overlays is white on a black or color background, which you can't really reproduce with an inkjet printer (at least while printing on transparent material).