IGNORED

High Score Club 8.11 - Yar's Revenge

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Journey to the Razak Solar System and help the Yars battle an evil enemy.

yarsrevenge-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Yar's Revenge
  • Released By: Atari, 1981
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 6 - Ultimate Yars

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday October 27th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Easter Egg - Make the programmers initials appear on-screen and take a screenshot, and you get 2 bonus points.
    • Scrabbler15 [+2]
    • Deteacher [+2]
    • Zoyx [+2]
    • oyamafamily [+2]
    • Chuck D. Head [+2]
    • toymailman [+2]
    • Mingy Jongo [+2]
    • SeaGtGruff [+2]
    • JacobZu7zu7 [+2]
    • dooglehead [+2]
    • keilbaca [+2]
    • Miss 2600 [+2]

Current High Scores
  1. 1,000,000 (Zoyx) [+11]
    1,000,000 (oyamafamily) [+11]
    1,000,000 (Mingy Jongo) [+11]
  2. 403,786 (toymailman) [+10]
  3. 297,518 (Deteacher) [+9]
  4. 293,724 (JacubZu7zu7) [+8]
  5. 251,428 (Chuck D. Head) [+7]
  6. 247,365 (Miss 2600) [+6]
  7. 240,471 (Scrabbler15) [+5]
  8. 234,527 (keilbaca) [+4]
  9. 214,642 (roadrunner) [+3]
  10. 188,247 (zylon) [+2]
  11. 76,677 (SeaGtGruff) [+1]
  12. 50,528 (ClassicGMR) [+1]
  13. 38,833 (dooglehead) [+1]

Best Tips
  • oyamafamily [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. (None for this mode)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [136]
  2. Scrabber15 [118]
  3. JacobZu7zu7 [116]
  4. Deteacher [102]up.gif
  5. oyamafamily [94]down.gif
  6. zylon [59]
  7. Jifremok [54]
  8. roadrunner [49]
  9. Zoyx [40]
  10. Chuck D. Head [38]
  11. Miss 2600 [30]up.gif
  12. ClassicGMR [28]down.gif
  13. LarcenTyler [26]down.gif
  14. keilbaca [24]down.gif
  15. SeaGtGruff [23]up.gif
  16. pis [21]down.gif
  17. HatefulGravey [17]
  18. doctorclu [13]
  19. Pioneer4x4 [12]
  20. MrJimbo [8]
  21. Mister VCS [7]
  22. satan165 [7]
  23. 4Ks [4]
  24. ed1475 [2]
  25. littleman jack [2]
  26. pacmanplayer [2]
  27. Austin [1]
  28. rmaerz [1]
  29. MIKE5200 [1]
  30. SpaceDice2010 [1]

Scoring Points in Yar's Revenge
  • Each Shield Cell Destroyed by Missile - 69 points
  • Each Shield Cell Destroyed by Zorlon Cannon - 69 points
  • Each Shield Cell Eaten by Yar - 169 points
  • Destroying the Qotile - 1,000 points
  • Destroying the Swirl Before it Charges - 2,000 points
  • Destroying the Swirls in Mid-Aid - 6,000 points + Extra Life

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• When you destroy the Qotile, or a Swirl, there will be an explosion, during which the Yar stays on the screen. Use this opportunity to make up your own victory dance. And watch out for the Ghost of Yars! You'll see his mean streak, so stay off it!
  • The Qotile continually changes colors. The color sequence is your cue to the appearance of a Swirl, and gives you warning to plan your attack and defense.
  • If you fly over the Qotile as it changes to a Swirl, it will destroy you, so be careful.

We played this game once before in the High Score Club, you might want to check out that thread for more hints.

oyamafamily

• If you want to take a rest (for example: eat a sandwich, go to the bathroom or drink the water), DON'T move your controller after completing the wave (via destroying Qotile or Swirl), or lose your life.
  • Read carefully the tips and strategies showed on previous HSC for Yars' Revenge.
  • Get at least 5 TRONS to make the cannon appear. TRONS are units of energy which you can get at the following way: 1 TRON for each cell from the shield, 2 TRONS via touching the Qotile, and 4 TRONS via catching the Zorlon Cannon shot after it bounces off the shield (according to the manual). The maximum number of TRONS which Yar can collect is 255, but PAY ATTENTION: this number is not displayed on the screen. To make the Zorlon Cannon appear, bounce the Yar against the left side. ATTENTION: If you press FIRE button accidentally, the risk of losing your life is EXTREME. Before shooting the cannon, keep away the Yar from the left side until the neutral zone region (but out and near this zone); at the moment you shoot the cannon, move the Yar vertically.
  • ATTENTION: If the Yar is destroyed by Missile, Swirl or Zorlon Cannon, you will lose ALL the TRONS collected.
  • Shields in RED (0-70,000 points) and GRAY (150,000-230,000 points): When the Qotile turns to yellow, and orange in sequence, keep away the Yar from the right side of the screen, and try to hit the Swirl in mid-air to score more points quickly and get extra Yars, but WATCH THE MOVEMENTS OF THE SWIRL. Also, BE CAREFUL WITH THE ZORLON CANNON when you shoot, and KEEP AWAY from Destroyer Missile.
  • Shields in BLUE (70,000-150,000 points) and PINK (more than 230,000 points): The Qotile turns to the SWIRL when the colors are RED, BLUE, and LIGHT GREEN. In this situation, Swirl sometimes fires immediately. It's a good opportunity to max your lives via destroying the Swirl in mid-air and increase your score quickly. But BE CAREFUL with the Swirl, Destroyer Missile, and the Zorlon Cannon.
  • Remember: after scoring 150,000 points, the Swirl will remain in mid-air to hit the Yar. When the Yar is in the Neutral Zone, you cannot operate fire commands or be destroyed by Missiles, but the Swirl, and the Zorlon Cannon destroy the Yar in the zone (according to the manual).

--Zero

SPECIAL TIP: If you want to take a rest (for example: eat a sandwich, go to the bathroom or drink the water), DON'T move your controller after completing the wave (via destroying Qotile or Swirl), or lose your life.

If I roll the score sucessfully, I will play Yar's Revenge using Extreme Settings (Game 6 - Difficulty AA - 1 life ONLY) to submit my score for statistics.

Edited by oyamafamily

First try: 182,061

But I can't seem to get the Easter Egg. I hit the swirl in midair, look for the black streak (on the left side of the force field or whatever that is, right?) but I can't align my Yars right. Frustrating!

post-2105-128794485442_thumb.jpg

I was frustrated too. In the past, all I worried about was trying NOT to get it. It screwed up more games than I could count for me. When I tried to get it for the bonus, I must have spent 30 minutes before getting it. Morgan

Oops, On that first score I forgot to put the setting on game 6 because I didn't have to tap the left side of the screen to get the missile. So I played it again making sure I was on game 6 thinking my score will be way down from the first one and I actually surpassed it! (Still no luck with the Easter Egg, though :( )

post-2105-128795066807_thumb.jpg