IGNORED

Aquarius video presentation

OldAtarian

Hey, I wasn't crapping on the Aquarius. I wasn't crapping on it before, just giving you a little poke in the ribs, that's all. I really thought you'd think it was funny. You guys need to get yourselves some thicker skins. I watch videos that mock on Ataris and Commodores too and don't get all bent out of shape over them. Sheesh.

Edited by OldAtarian

Hey, I wasn't crapping on the Aquarius. I wasn't crapping on it before, just giving you a little poke in the ribs, that's all. I really thought you'd think it was funny. You guys need to get yourselves some thicker skins. I watch videos that mock on Ataris and Commodores too and don't get all bent out of shape over them. Sheesh.

I really don't know why that reaction is so difficult to understand, but let me explain it this way. If you were bald, and if you encountered constant bald jokes everywhere you went all day long, and if you then go to a friend's house expecting to get away from the jokes for a while only to hear more of the exact same jokes, how do you think you'd respond to that? And how would you feel if the person then started poking you in the ribs with their elbow and saying, "hey, I'm just messin' with ya, grow a thicker skin, will ya? Hehhehheh!"

I think you need to follow Mark's advice and start contributing something positive, because what you're doing now is not helpful. There's a limit to how much "ribbing" anyone can be good-natured about.

@OldAtarian: Back to pick on the little guy huh?

May I remind you of the AA rules (emphasis mine) :-

3) Using the forum to excessively promote your "agenda". For example, if love or hate a certain game console, that is fine. But if you feel the need to interject your love or hatred into various topics any chance you get, and it is disrupting the forum, we consider this spamming. This is also considered Trolling (see below).

Trolling

Trolling isn't always easy to define, but it generally is easy to spot. Trolling usually involves disrupting a thread by posting messages that are off-topic, rude, inciting, and so forth. We recognize that topics will often veer off course for one reason or another, but when an individual member repeatedly disrupts threads in a negative fashion, that member will be warned. Trolling also includes creating new threads for the purpose of starting flame wars (known as "flamebait").

A long time back, I contacted the person in the video. Videos are one of his hobbies, and this was his attempt at (British) humor. He knew nothing about the Aquarius computer, because he just found the Aquarius bundle "in the dust bin," and decided to use it as a prop.

He kindly sent me a scan of the poster hanging on the wall behind him. Nice guy.

I really don't know why that reaction is so difficult to understand, but let me explain it this way. If you were bald, and if you encountered constant bald jokes everywhere you went all day long, and if you then go to a friend's house expecting to get away from the jokes for a while only to hear more of the exact same jokes, how do you think you'd respond to that? And how would you feel if the person then started poking you in the ribs with their elbow and saying, "hey, I'm just messin' with ya, grow a thicker skin, will ya? Hehhehheh!"

I think you need to follow Mark's advice and start contributing something positive, because what you're doing now is not helpful. There's a limit to how much "ribbing" anyone can be good-natured about.

That's a completely different situation because that's a personal attack. A computer is a hunk of plastic, it's a thing, it means nothing. I don't understand why you're getting so worked up over a joke about it. That's like getting angry because you're wearing a green shirt and I come up to you on the street and tell you I don't like green shirts. Is it really worth getting so emotional over? If you guys are taking a knock against a computer this personally, then you have other issues that need seeing to that have nothing to do with anyone's jokes.

Edited by OldAtarian

That's a completely different situation because that's a personal attack. A computer is a hunk of plastic, it's a thing, it means nothing.

To you its a piece of plastic or a thing that means nothing. To others it might be a dearly cherished item that has strong sentimental value. It might be somebody's first home computer. Somebody else might have started their programming career learning BASIC on it. It might have sentimental value because it was given as a present to somebody as a child from their parents (and they are no longer with us). You aren't in a position to determine how other people are emotionally attached to it. When you attack/belittle something you soil peoples memories of the good times they had with it.

That's a completely different situation because that's a personal attack. A computer is a hunk of plastic, it's a thing, it means nothing.

To you its a piece of plastic or a thing that means nothing. To others it might be a dearly cherished item that has strong sentimental value. It might be somebody's first home computer. Somebody else might have started their programming career learning BASIC on it. It might have sentimental value because it was given as a present to somebody as a child from their parents (and they are no longer with us). You aren't in a position to determine how other people are emotionally attached to it. When you attack/belittle something you soil peoples memories of the good times they had with it.

Oh, really? If you're married and I say something about your wife, does that soil your image of your wife? Do you love her any less because I say something about her? So how can something I say about a computer have any possible affect about how you feel about it? If you loved it before, you should still love it. If you don't still love it then maybe you never really loved it in the first place and it took someone else making a joke to make you see that, and if that's the case is it really such a bad thing?

Well he's still talking 'cause folks are replyin'. For the record, I bear OA no ill will , but I listen to enough static at work, I'm not doing it at home. I don't mind people poking fun, but, for each time you poke fun at a person there should be a time where you compliment them, help them or ask them for help; not poke; poke; poke; poke; poke; poke. I don't know if he's having a hard time right now, or what, but as Albert, in his wisdom, provided me with an ignore option,I choose to use it. Morgan

Oh, really? If you're married and I say something about your wife, does that soil your image of your wife? Do you love her any less because I say something about her?

If you said something to Mrs GroovyBee's face and she took offence to it she'd hand you your ass :lolblue:. I wouldn't have to do anything ;).

Besides people aren't possessions.