IGNORED

Neo Geo Pocket Color of Atari Lynx?

Animan

34 members have voted

1. 1. Neo Geo Pocket Color or Atari Lynx?

• Neo Geo Pocket Color
    • Atari Lynx
    • None of the Above/Something Else

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Despite the hours of enjoyment I am getting with my new Odyssey 2, the game selection is only so big. Sure, I could attempt to grab all the games released for it, but I feel I should just get one more system, and it will be the penultimate or last system for awhile.

There have been two on my mind. Neo Geo Pocket Color and Atari Lynx. Both have great exclusives, but I just can't decide.

Which one should I get?

Edited by Animan

Which one should I get?

Oooo, I answered on which one I would get without reading your post, sorry.

For me, it's the NGPC. For whatever reason, while I love my Atari consoles, the Lynx has never clicked with me beyond Robotron and Joust. And sometimes Klax. The NGPC on the other hand I have probably 90% of the released games, and I play it every so often. Card Fighters Clash and a great version of Pac-Man make the choice for me pretty easy...

BUT -- *you* should get what *you* think you'll like the most. Just because I enjoy NGPC more doesn't mean you will. Both definitely have their positives and negatives, and really I don't click with that much of the NGPC library either - it's just I click with it slightly more than the Lynx. At least, until I try playing a Lynx next time ;)

Edited by goatdan

I'm kind of a big neo geo fan, and really not much of an atari fan, but I've probably got to say lynx on that one.

Atari Lynx has quite a few unique arcade games. APB, stun runner, xybots--oddly lynx is the best place for them, and that 'arcade quality' experience neo geo is known for just isn't there with the pocket. Nice control stick on the neo geo, and some servicable games--it just doesn't sync with my needs.

I can't play NGPC without feelings like 'I should be playing a better neo geo,' and 'doesn't gameboy have a better game similar to this?'

Edited by Reaperman

I voted for the Lynx. I've had mine since '95. Had an NGPC for awhile, and it was OK, but the fact that the screen isn't lit is kind of a deal-breaker for me. It has some cool games, but I just like the Lynx more. Nice and big, ambidextrous, sweet games like Rygar, Crystal Mines 2, California Games, and Desert Strike. The Lynx also has a few homebrews on it, which is cool.

The NGPC just feels like it has inferior but portable ports of Neo-Geo games. Still, if the screen were lit, I would have kept mine. Once the Game Boy Advance SP came out, I was done with non-lit portable screens for good.

Play NGPC games on an emulator, and get a Lynx.

Chris

Indeed, it seems the Lynx is getting more attention (then again, this IS an Atari forum :P ).

Despite that, I am leaning more towards the NGPC. No backlight has never bothered me before (I was one in 3 people in the world who could see the GBA screen), and didn't they make lights you could attach onto the thing, like the ones they made for the GBC and GBA?

If the screen is anything like the Game Gear (quality wise), then it is an issue with me. Is the screen on the Lynx just as bad as the GG? The NGPC's screen looks good from the Youtube videos, just dim.

Get both?

Heh, I guess that wasnt an option...

The NGPC is a really nice thing, its portable, slightly "better" hardware than the GBC and an awesome D-stick.

However, like people already said, NGPC lacks in game titles, and some of the more uncommon ones tend to be bit pricey (Faselei, Cotton, Puyo Puyo, etc.)

Even if the NGPC excels in fighters, its still not fighters only system, as example, Metal Slug 1st and 2nd mission. Excellent games.

Oh, also, Sonic pocket adventure, like playing on a GG but with an actually working screen and speaker.

Also, if you get the regular NGPC, you could always get a display light mod.

But if you really want portability, I suggest hunting down a NGPC "slim". A slimmed down model that apparently got released only a short moment before SNK withdrew all units.

Then again, the Lynx.

Well, like people said, really good arcade ports. But the portability is... meh.

I only own the model.1 lynx, so I have no idea how much smaller the model.2 is, but what I've heard, the model.2 would be the "superior" version.

I cant say much about the Lynx games really, as I havent gotten around getting many of them, but I do recommend Xybots and STUN Runner.

Also, NGPC: 30hours - Lynx: 5hours.

If I picked something else,I'd go with GBA, but of those two, I'd say Lynx. Dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong wit the NGPC, it's a perfectly good system. The only downside is, you had BETTER love fighting games, as that is 90% of it's library. The library for both systems is similarly sized, the lynx just has more variety to it IMO.

If you really want a handheld and aren't opposed to emulation, then a used PSP is a great way to go. It's absolutely mind boggling the number of systems it can run, and most of them pretty darn well!

Emulators on PSP

QFT

Although if you're a collector and want original hardware, it's hard to go against the NGPC. To date it's the *only* handheld that manages to make 2D fighting games playable. The pseudo thumbstick/D-pad with the awesome clicky feel makes it super easy to know what you're inputting for fighting moves.

Great games on NGPC:

Card Fighter's Clash

Snk v. Capcom Match of the Millenium

Last Blade Pocket (as good if not better gameplay-wise than it's Neo Geo big brother)

Pac-Man

Magical Drop Pocket

Metal Slug 1st and 2nd Mission

Dark Arms

... seriously I could go on forever. My favorite handheld by far.

I just wanted to add that when I spoke of the "slim model" NGPC, I meant this kind of unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-NEO-GEO-POCKET-COLOR-SLIMLINE-SYSTEM-COMPLETE-JP-/390228418013?pt=Video_Games&hash=item5adb6d1ddd

Easily recognized from the different "softer" 'Color' logo above the screen.

Some sources claim its about 13% smaller than the original NGCP.

Also, If one is to get a NGPC and likes the good old Front Mission from the SNES, then I recommend getting Faselei!.

However, it seems like the english version price has gone bit wild recently. I remember getting a cartridge only one for some 15USD a year ago...

The NGPC pouch/case is also very nice. Doubles as a very "fashionable" waist pouch too.

As I own a GP2X Wiz, the NGPC and Lynx are both emulated (although the Lynx emulator is very early in development, and the sound is loud enough to kill a rabbit).

Again, I am still leaning towards the NGPC. I am not a huge fan of fighters, but I do enjoy them. I also might "build" my own light that can be attached to it later on.

Unless anyone can put up a very good argument not to get one, the NGPC it is. Anybody here have one for sale, or know where I can get one for a good price?

Edited by Animan

Isn't the NGPC well-emulated? The Lynx certainly is..

Why not check out both systems via emulation, and see which has the games that appeal more to you.

IMHO the Lynx has a great selection of arcade conversions, and is the superior system.... But that's just me!

Isn't the NGPC well-emulated? The Lynx certainly is..

Why not check out both systems via emulation, and see which has the games that appeal more to you.

IMHO the Lynx has a great selection of arcade conversions, and is the superior system.... But that's just me!

I did what you suggested.

All in all, despite the Lynx having games I enjoyed on other systems (Hard Drivin', Roadblasters, Battlezone, etc.), the games just felt "sloppy" to me. Most of them didn't hold my attention for long, either. If the system is anything like the emulation, it will be awhile before I get a Lynx.

The NGPC on the other hand had games I wanted to play more of. Even though I am not the biggest fan of fighting games (I do enjoy Fighting Vipers, Smash Bros, and ClayFighter), I really enjoyed SNK vs. Capcom. Sonic Pocket Adventure was a minor disappointment, but it was still good. But the real thing that got me excited was realizing there was a port of Mega Man: The Power Battle. That one game alone has me sold.

Most systems seem to be going for about $50, and everybody keeps acting like they are Sega Game Gear cheap ($20). So I will keep waiting until I find a good deal.

I don't think Lynx games play anywhere near as smooth on most emulators and on Handy you don't really get a proper impression of what they are like on a small screen.

The Lynx has some of the best arcade conversions of any console and in most cases the best home version of the game too outside of modern compilations.