IGNORED

Lynx mascot?

Blarginatorr

I've been wondering since I joined this forum, that did the Lynx ever have a mascot, or a videogame character strong enough to represent the console?

So far I have found no evidence of any mascot-ish character, in the style of Mario and Sonic. Well, Zaku of course would be quite the modern time mascot of the lynx.

Actually, even before I found this forum, I went and designed a "mascot" character of somesort, as I sometimes like to design "representations" or "personifications" of videogame consoles.

Well I guess some might've already figured it out, that my avatar picture is this character. See attachment for a "proper" drawing of this character.

Please dont take this character and idea too seriously.

Anyways, I wanted with this thread introduce my rendition of a Lynx "mascot" and also start a discussion of how should a proper Lynx mascot look like, asking the community of it's opinion.

Or, should the Lynx remain without a mascot and is this what I'm doing now complete blasphemy?

post-24769-128830008269_thumb.jpg

My vote goes for Pounce :cool:

Pounce works for me. I was looking for the hot number that they created as the mascot for the Milan (the Atari ST clone) but not finding that, I figured I would post another Atari "mascot" of a sort for the Atari 8 bit computer... (from Mr. Atari's site)

post-4709-128832429117_thumb.jpg

More Atari babe examples...

Volcana from Ultra Vortek for the Atari Jaguar

post-4709-128832496724_thumb.jpg

And I remembered that aside from Elvira there were the Malibu BIKINI Volleyball for the Lynx, that has a wonderful startup screen. ;)

post-4709-128832502557_thumb.jpg

So Pounce is in good company. (please, if you have other Atari babe pictures, post them!)

Hah, true. That surfer dude sure got a lot of publicity back in the days.

It seems like majority of people prefer a "western" rendition of a mascot, however, its not surprising at all considering the consoles origin.

Btw, I just remembered that I had found a Lynx "mascot" pic a while ago, quite possibly drawn by a Japanese person.

Atleast the style would indicate that.

post-24769-128942205881_thumb.jpg

I've always though this is an area where Atari missed the boat and even wrote them a letter about it back in the day.

The best bet, would proably be Bentely Bear. He doesn't appear on the Lynx (I don'think). But he appears in Atari Carts and Cystal Castles. IMHO, he would have been the best choice to develop as an Atari icon of the likes of Sonic and Mario.

I don't think well endowed women would be the way to go.

-Lee

Bentley Bear would have made for a good mascot for Atari and would have given Atari that iconic character. They could have even introduced other games using the character much like Nintendo and Sega did with their characters. Imagine a side scroller game with Bentley Bear on the Lynx!

GrizzLee you actually wrote to Atari about this? Did they ever reply?

bentley_bear_crystal_castles.jpg

Bentley was used in some educational titles (I think they were ST only?) and according to Wikipedia he's in a Jaguar game, and then the conversions of Crystal Castles for the 400/800, XE and 2600 (was there even a 7800 version)? Certainly never on the Lynx, sadly, CC is a nice game.

Bentley Bear would have made for a good mascot for Atari and would have given Atari that iconic character. They could have even introduced other games using the character much like Nintendo and Sega did with their characters. Imagine a side scroller game with Bentley Bear on the Lynx!

GrizzLee you actually wrote to Atari about this? Did they ever reply?

No unfortunately, they never got back to me on any of my ideas. I mentioned several things in the same letter, for instance, I mentioned to them that they were missing the boat on having bosses in their games and that for the most part, Atari games were based on "old formulas" of game design and lacked innovation. I find this unfortunate for a company that was once hailed as being very innovative in this arena (Innovative Leisure). There was nothing wrong with the Lynx hardware, it suffered from a lack of "killer apps" and an iconic image to drive it home to parents. This was something MS was very worried about when they getting ready to launch the original XBOX. It was big news here in Seattle when MS walked across the street and offered billions to buy Nintendo. More than anything, MS wanted the the iconic image and the market perception that folks had about Nintendo. A the time, I don't think MS really gave a crap about games. They wanted to stop Sony. They were really worried that they were going to miss the boat.

I always wished that MS would have bought the rights to Atari and formed a subsidiary company under that name; naming their new XBOX system "Phoenix" :-)

-Lee

The Jaguar game was Atari Karts as mentioned ;)

Don't forget "Return to Crystal Castles" that was announced for the Jaguar. I don't think it was ever started, but it would be cool if someone finds some documents or notes that showed what Atari had in mind for this game. I suggested this back on the old GEnie discussion boards that Atari personnel frequented, but like many fan ideas, it looks like this idea was ignored. :(

While I do agree that a western console needs a western mascot, the effort is certainly appreciated. A mascot doesn't have to be official, and have official games for a console, especially if a console has no real mascot to speak of; it just needs to be the personification of the console. I would love to see one of your mascots put into a homebrew Lynx game, though!

Edited by lisalover1

Yes, of course. My rendition is just my opinion of it and not meant to suit everyones tastes. I also admit that my rendition not so "mascot-ish", as it was pointed out "I don't think well endowed women would be the way to go.", when thinking that a mascot should be the type thats kinda "neutral" so it would fit in most peoples taste, but still keeping the character interesting.

However, theres been consoles with more "mature audience mascots", as example XBOX and Master Chief, though, AFAIK, M.Chief isnt official mascot, right?

I would love to see one of your mascots put into a homebrew Lynx game, though!

Oh, I'd love that too. I've been thinking for some time already that I should try to design a game for the lynx, but as I have no programming skills, my part would be only game design and graphics I guess.

I have quite a number of drawings of this my Lynx character, and I found one that's more of a simplified style.

Maybe I should take a jab at a very simplified/cartoony style, in style of mario/sonic/etc, one which would maybe fit a broader range of audience.

Call that first pic the "Tecmo DoA Gal" version of the character, haha.

post-24769-128984902806_thumb.jpg