IGNORED

INTY II hookup options

Atarifever

Well shoot I should have waited. :(

I was in another town today for work, and stopped into the used game store and sold some 360 games. I noticed that there was a small electronics store across the road and ran across with my new found money, and spent it on a new universal adapter. It was $16, which was more than I wanted to spend but still not bad. I didn't even have an Inty until Sunday, and a total of $18 later I have this:

post-5952-128891141041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atarifever

Ahh well, it did work, but it would have taken a few weeks to get there the cheap way, so you got some instant satisfaction :lust: How were your controllers? This is the first time I fired up my "deuce" and the disc is shot on one and missing a fire button on the other. Morgan

Edited by Chuck D. Head

How were your controllers? This is the first time I fired up my "deuce" and the disc is shot on one and missing a fire button on the other. Morgan

I only used the first player one last night, and I played Space Battle to make sure I tested all of them. The white one for "go to battle" or whatever it is called, which IIRC was the 9 button, was a little less responsive (I had to really press in on that one and even then it wasn't a sure thing), but other than that the number pad was fine. I think one of the side buttons doesn't work. Apparently I have two sets of side buttons if I understand this thing, so between them all I've managed to get all three games working properly. The disc worked fine. But man, what is with the short cords? Was there a wire shortage in 1982 or something?

Edited by Atarifever

But man, what is with the short cords? Was there a wire shortage in 1982 or something?

These are only guesses, but if the wires had been longer, they would have been too long to be coiled up underneath the controller when it was placed back inside the console. It might also have had something to do with meeting the standards for RF interference.

Plus, as I've said elsewhere, the customary setup in those days was to have the console set up on a table or on the floor near the player (you'll notice this in early-80s video game ads, for example); putting the console next to the TV didn't become the popular arrangement until some time later. In that setup, you didn't need long controller cords.

But man, what is with the short cords? Was there a wire shortage in 1982 or something?

Yeah, especially Inty 2 - crazy short! Luckily I am using the original console for daily playing and the cords are longer, but still too short. I want to have the cords straightened, but am a little anal, so I like the fact the coiled cord hides under the controller in such a neat way. I really think the hidden cord feature may have been the reason for the short cords. Apparently, concept / design guy beats engineer in Mattel version of rock - paper - scissors! Morgan

In case anyone is interested, the "console near the player" configuration came up in another thread, and I talked more about it there. I just find it interesting to think about the different ways people integrated video games into their home entertainment centers for the first time.

Also, if you're interested in straightening the Intellivision controller cords, I think AtariAge member Yurkie still offers a cord straightening service. I had him straighten some loose Intellivision cords of mine, and I was very pleased with the results.

• 10 years later...

Hi,

I'm working on an NTSC INTV II in order to install my RGB mod inside.

I do not have the power supply that comes with it, is it 100% sure I can power it with 9-10V DC voltage. I have a lab power supply that will limit current in case but I want to be 100% sure before doing anything wrong.

This INTV II is not mine and I don't want to break anything.

Here is a picture of it's internal, what makes me doubt is the presence of a trafo on the power supply PCB that should only work with AC voltages, unless there is a kind of power switching mechanism after the first AC to DC conversion to create some higher voltages again.

I haven't found any schematics of the power supply board so I can't confirm / infirm anything.

Thanks a lot,

YannAros

IMG_1258.JPG

Edited by YannAros
typo