IGNORED

Two new Atgames Sega genesis clone

johj1987

So, I made my way to a Walgreens earlier today. Low and behold, they had the Arcade Motion system up at the front of the store with the rest of their electronics stuff. It was twenty bucks like stated earlier in the thread..

So, how is it? Well, emulation in general is average (i.e., not great, like the RetroGen). Sound emulation is bad as to be expected. There are quite a few good SEGA titles built in though. There are also the garbage Firecore games thrown into the mix, too, not to mention there are also new "motion" games included as well. I've yet to figure out how to actually use the "motion" aspects this system though.

The system takes batteries, but it also has a DC 5V A/C adapter input which is a nice bonus. It also has a SD card slot, and it reads .BIN ROM files fine if you drop them in the right folder (It doesn't like .SMD files). The controllers are so-so. The d-pads actually feel really good for a clone system and they have diagonals that actually work. I didn't have a problem at all playing Twin Cobra or MUSHA. However, there is no cover over the controller's sensor/beam and so when you use the controllers horizontally, the plastic feels like it's digging into your skin the longer you play, making it rather uncomfortable. Also, on the bottom of the controller, there doesn't seem to be any way to remove the Wii-like straps, making your button-hand become uncomfortable as well. If it wasn't for these two little issues, I'd say these controllers are awesome for what they are.

Anyways, for twenty bucks though? It's a poor man's flash cart, that's how I look at it. The SD card feature in itself is sweet. The controllers are tolerable, but you may want to wear gloves. If anyone wants to see it in action, I'm going to have a video of it uploaded when I get home from work in the morning.

So, I made my way to a Walgreens earlier today. Low and behold, they had the Arcade Motion system up at the front of the store with the rest of their electronics stuff. It was twenty bucks like stated earlier in the thread..

So, how is it? Well, emulation in general is average (i.e., not great, like the RetroGen). Sound emulation is bad as to be expected. There are quite a few good SEGA titles built in though. There are also the garbage Firecore games thrown into the mix, too, not to mention there are also new "motion" games included as well. I've yet to figure out how to actually use the "motion" aspects this system though.

The system takes batteries, but it also has a DC 5V A/C adapter input which is a nice bonus. It also has a SD card slot, and it reads .BIN ROM files fine if you drop them in the right folder (It doesn't like .SMD files). The controllers are so-so. The d-pads actually feel really good for a clone system and they have diagonals that actually work. I didn't have a problem at all playing Twin Cobra or MUSHA. However, there is no cover over the controller's sensor/beam and so when you use the controllers horizontally, the plastic feels like it's digging into your skin the longer you play, making it rather uncomfortable. Also, on the bottom of the controller, there doesn't seem to be any way to remove the Wii-like straps, making your button-hand become uncomfortable as well. If it wasn't for these two little issues, I'd say these controllers are awesome for what they are.

Anyways, for twenty bucks though? It's a poor man's flash cart, that's how I look at it. The SD card feature in itself is sweet. The controllers are tolerable, but you may want to wear gloves. If anyone wants to see it in action, I'm going to have a video of it uploaded when I get home from work in the morning.

Thanks for the overview, looking forward to your vid. :thumbsup:

Well, there were a few setbacks today (namely, a busier schedule than I thought there would be), but I finally managed to get it together and uploaded. Had to do it in two parts because I made this video as I was unpacking it for the first time, and I tend to ramble or not be entirely concise when I do that. Part 1 is ready to go (part 2 is still processing) and can be seen here:

I picked one of these up for myself too. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it seems from watching your videos Austin, that I will be pretty satisfied. I'm not overly concerned with the poor emulation, its going to be used more or less to test out games so when I'm out thrifting I'll know what games to look out for that I might have formerly passed up.

On a side note, did you ever figure out the "motion" games, Austin? The wife and kids would be more interested, unfortunately, in that than anything else this thing has to offer.

So what's the deal on the SD slot? Does it just read .gen roms from an SD card?

According to Atgames site, they are some type of .bin file.

How to download games into the SD card?

It only reads .BIN genesis ROMs. I tried it with .SMD files, but they didn't work. All you need to do is load your SD card up on a PC and make a folder on it called "GAME" (or GAMES? I don't remember--the system automatically makes it for you). Just drag and drop your games over. :)

Has anybody seen or tried the handheld Genny clone?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1859568401P?blockNo=1&blockType=G1&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1292341184292

If that thing actually works and plays .BIN files off SD, I'd be really interested.

StoneAgeGamer had those for awhile, its called the Gopher. Unfortunately, it appears that he's sold out at this time though. Heres to hope SAG can bring them back at some point.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1859568401P?blockNo=1&blockType=G1&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1292341184292

If that thing actually works and plays .BIN files off SD, I'd be really interested.

StoneAgeGamer had those for awhile, its called the Gopher. Unfortunately, it appears that he's sold out at this time though. Heres to hope SAG can bring them back at some point.

Shipment from Hyperkin should be arriving tomorrow, so should have them then.

I have the Gopher. It's pretty good. Good screen, good buttons. Rechargeable battery. Plays roms in the .bin format. I have every US Genesis rom plus Japanese and European exclusives on my 2GB sd card (over 1,000 roms), and there's still plenty of room left. Plays most of them fine. Some of them won't boot up or have problems.

Shipment from Hyperkin should be arriving tomorrow, so should have them then.

Hey Stone Age, cool site.

Do you ship to Canada, and if so, do you have any idea of shipping cost?

If you're in Howell MI, I live just on the other side of the Ambassador bridge, and actually commute to Plymouth for work daily.

I picked up the AtGames motion one at Walgreens for $20 (Xmas present for me!). Looking forward to having a Genny in the living room that can play roms. Hope the controllers aren't that bad.

I haven't had any issues with the controllers. For the cost and the gripes I reads over at the Sega-16 forums, I was expecing a lot worse but I am pleasantly suprised by this little console. Granted the motion games aren't anything special (at all), but thats not what your buying it for anyways.

I just Email Atgames about the Two Atgames console having the Savestate to save you progress of the game they said they dont have that feature in those two 2010 Atgames console. they will have that Savestate feature in those two Atgames console in 2011. if you want contact Atgames here's there email:

jlee@atgames.net

I just Email Atgames about the Two Atgames console having the Savestate to save you progress of the game they said they dont have that feature in those two 2010 Atgames console. they will have that Savestate feature in those two Atgames console in 2011. if you want contact Atgames here's there email:

jlee@atgames.net

Thats pretty cool that they are fixing that issue. Wonder why that couldn't have done that in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the AtGames motion one at Walgreens for $20 (Xmas present for me!). Looking forward to having a Genny in the living room that can play roms. Hope the controllers aren't that bad.

I haven't had any issues with the controllers. For the cost and the gripes I reads over at the Sega-16 forums, I was expecing a lot worse but I am pleasantly suprised by this little console. Granted the motion games aren't anything special (at all), but thats not what your buying it for anyways.

I finally had a chance to put it through its paces and I'm pretty happy with the machine. The dpad on the controller is tighter than some of my original Genny ones, no issues at all so far. Most games have played fine through SD card, although I have had a few quirks (Gauntlet 4 runs *really* slow, I can't seem to get Thunderforce 2 or 3 to work, but 4 is fine, etc). For twenty bucks, it's a good solution for me. I can keep my original Genny w/ carts in the studio, with the AtGames unit playing roms in the living room. Edited by BydoEmpire

• 1 month later...

WalGreens is clearancing these out at $11 now for anyone that may be interested. I'm not sure if it's nationwide, but I've seen mentions of them being clearanced out at other forums so I don't think it's just a local deal.

Was on some shelves behind the photo department with other items being clearanced off.