IGNORED

Beginners' Guide to the High Score Club ("HSC")

therealbountybob

Welcome!

Firstly feel free to play games immediately. All abilities welcome, seriously we do have a wide spread of players (no names mentioned!) so there's always someone to compare scores with.

You can also take part in votes, suggest games that you’d like to play and any other ideas right from the off, don’t be shy!

We usually play a classic Atari 8-bit game every two weeks, sometimes we have bonus rounds or tournaments to keep it interesting.

Screen shots are optional, but if you are one of the better players we all like to see them!

Emulation
If you haven’t got an Atari then get one on ebay or somewhere but in the mean time you can use one of the many PC (or MAC) Atari emulators.

The easiest PC Atari emulator to get started on is Altirra, just follow this link (right click on it, then select open in new window) and 1 page down in the 'Downloads' section click on the latest version currently "Altirra 3.90". Then run/extract the zip file to an Altirra folder on your hard drive. (e.g. C:\altirra).

To run Altirra open the Altirra folder in 'My Computer' and double click on the altirra.exe application.

If you want to create a desktop shortcut icon then click on the altirra icon once, then click on 'File' and select 'Create Shortcut'. Then drag the newly created shortcut (it has a little arrow on the icon) to your PC's desktop.

Altirra users please set the following:
'View' 'Overscan Mode' 'Normal'
'Input' 'Input Mappings' 'Arrow Keys - Joystick (port 1)' - (this uses left control for fire. You can click on edit if you want to configure the keys manually)
'System' 'Firmware' 'default' (works for most games)

Downloads
Download games into the same folder, there are many good sites for games such as Atarimania, Fandal, Atarionline.pl, Homesoft, VJetnam. In the HSC there are links posted to the current game. Then from Altirra's File menu select 'Boot Image' and select the game and you should be up and running. (If a window showing 'Select Cartridge Mapper' appears, click on the first one in the list and then click OK)

There's no commitment to play every game but we’re always glad to have regulars. Side discussions often develop so it sometimes gets a little crazy around here!

If you need any help whatsoever please post or contact me (or Goochman) directly.

And the number one rule is to Have fun!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

he my recruit uses real hardware, cause thats how i roll... :')

p.s. did you just pin this bob?

sloopy.

yes I went on a pinning spree - this guide was a new thing though, if anyone has any suggestions or improvements or wants to detail how they go about things please post. Perhaps a simple guide to purchasing a real atari, using APE etc...

also mention Atari800, for those of use who use an OS that doesnt hail from the left coast of the US...

on Debian, and Ubuntu this can be installed in a shell with:

sudo apt-get install atari800

also, default is full screen mode, F9 quits

sloopy.

Edited by sloopy
  • Like 1

Yeah count me in!

I think it is real fun. I play on real Atari 8bit PAL computer.

I hope some team captain will invite me for his/her(?) team!

You can contact me through messenger on this forum!

Greetz
Marius

Edited by therealbountybob
(teams were for a Pole Position round)

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It might help potential new players, especially emulator users, to know how to setup controllers/joysticks; so please post here what you use - not a general hardware list - just how to get setup to play (PC - LINUX - MAC)

For me I have several Ataris, 1050 drives and tons of real floppies. I use APE and SIO2USB (www.atarimax.com) to download games from the web to real disks. As well as a few joysticks getting a set of paddles (fairly cheap from ebay) and maybe even a Trak-Ball, ST-Mouse ( www.st-freakz.co.uk ) or even a light-gun are also good fun to use :)

For emulation I use altirra (or atari800win+4.0) on a Windows XP machine (I run altirra on Win7 too). I use a normal atari joystick with an adaptor and cable I assembled. The adaptor is from the 25 pin parallel port on the (old) PC to a cat-5 cable to a 9-pin joystick port. The PPJOY driver makes this to work nicely PPJoy Link Other Link the 2nd link says this works on Win7 but I'm not sure about the adaptor cable as it would be via a USB port?....

Other links that may be useful:

http://www.husak.com...ck-usb-adapter/

Joystick interface: Atari (or compatible/C64/Amiga), Sega master system, Genesis 3,& 6-button,

Sega multi-tap to PC's USB.

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2299333

http://www.atariage...._1#entry1918938

http://www.atariage...._1#entry1845180

http://www.atariage...._1#entry1479107

This already sounds too complex so please try and keep things simple - if anyone wants any help just post - we have a few hardware guys who might even make a cable up for you :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm using an emulator on Windows 7...best choice I've found is the "Atari 800 Best Game Pack", and choosing the Altirra emulator under there.

I have an Atari 2600 joystick connected to the PC using a USB cable converter I got from Amazon. Altirra automatically set it to be connected as joystick 1. If it doesn't auto select your joystick, just go to the "input" menu, and select it there.

Here is a link to the emulator: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226801-atari-800-best-game-pack-releases/

Edited by RickR
  • Like 1

I'm using an emulator...best choice I've found is the "Atari 800 Best Game Pack", and choosing the Altirra emulator under there. It should see your joystick just fine.

Here is a link to the emulator: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226801-atari-800-best-game-pack-releases/

Stupid question but PC joystick or 'Atari' stick using some sort of adaptor?

It might help people if posts mention OS used too :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I use the Altirra emulator and two original Wico joysticks. The only things I kept when my 400, 800, 800xl, atari st and amigas were sold on ebay.

I miss the physical machines, but space dictacts and they had to go :(. Hopefully the people who bought them are still giving them a crack of the whip.

Ps. I also have another Wico with the cable cut off close (still works inside). Anyone know where i can get a length of atari cable with a 9pin plug on it ? Even a broken joystick for spares and repairs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

SIO2SD

Here is some info from various posts:

Rename file *.com as *.XEX and copy to SD CARD!!!! SIO2SD support XEX files!

Soooooooooooo..... anyone compiled an archive of .atr or .xex game images that are Sio2SD friendly? I'm finding that a LOT of the ones floating around aren't compatilble.

Ah, never mind. I found that it's much nicer to create a large .atr image, initialize it with mypicodos and copy a big pile of .com files to it. Then they work very well, load very fast and you can select them with an on-screen menu instead of the buttons on the Sio2SD.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After 10 years, there should be some updates to the rules. Players should include some kind of proof of the scores: an screenshot (emulation) or photo (real hardware) of the scores achieved. I don't mean to sound rude, but I think there are now reasonable means beyond just taking anyone's word for it.

• Like 1

Nope, it's just not that sort of club. Screenshots are optional. I have to go onto my non atari laptop to post photos it's a pain to do so. In fact if someone wants to cheat as long as they are taking part we might have to welcome them as we are down to a handful of regulars. I think in my 10 seasons of running this I've only raised an eyebrow once but that person may just have been good at one of my favourite games. Screenshots don't prove a lot either way as games can be played slowly or speeded up both give advantages on certain games.... as would playing on a giant TV where it's easier to see the pixels/gaps between adversaries etc.

thanks for the comments though :D

4 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Nope, it's just not that sort of club. Screenshots are optional. I have to go onto my non atari laptop to post photos it's a pain to do so. In fact if someone wants to cheat as long as they are taking part we might have to welcome them as we are down to a handful of regulars. I think in my 10 seasons of running this I've only raised an eyebrow once but that person may just have been good at one of my favourite games. Screenshots don't prove a lot either way as games can be played slowly or speeded up both give advantages on certain games.... as would playing on a giant TV where it's easier to see the pixels/gaps between adversaries etc.

thanks for the comments though :D

Yours is a strange "club"; a screenshot or photo at least proves someone has been playing the game.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know cheating is allowed here ? Although, you would have to suffer a particular disorder in order to lie with the goal of being "the champion" of something so prosaic :D 

Edited by Yautja
  • Like 1

In some games, the score might increase by given steps or combinations of targets hit meaning that if you make up a score that doesn't match those rules, you might be questioned. I'm not claiming to have seen that but it is not really worth the risk with so little to gain.

Edit: Also every single HSC on AtariAge works with the honor system where screenshots are encouraged but never required. Thus if you think this one is "strange", so are all the other 11+ High Score Clubs on the forum.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, therealbountybob said:

I think cheating is the only way to beat me so bring it on :rolling:

It definitely feels that way to me most of the time. ;) The a800 HSC has some serious competition.

Going to try to post scores this season for the 800 and 2600 HSC. I plan on posting a score each week. (Looks like I almost missed out on Nibbler.)

Wow, haven’t posted many scores for about 7 seasons.

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1