IGNORED

Impressive graphics

GKC

I remember getting a Genesis + Sonic 1 bundle for X-mas one year when I was a kid. When I first started to play Sonic I was blown away. I had a 2600 and NES before the Genesis and nothing wowed me like the original Sonic. I thought it was actual 3D graphics Lol.

For pure graphic style I would say Earthworm Jim was amazing and really impressed me, but Sonic the Hedgehog was my first wow moment in my gaming history. I think the next time I was wowed by graphics was when I first played Shenmue on the Dreamcast.

Every advance in graphics impressed me, of course. My first sighting of a coin-op game, my first home game, the first Activision cart, the first Imagic cart, etc.

The first one I can distinctly remember being impressed by graphically was Dragonfire, though. The bridge scene seemed so realistic at the time. :)

Super Mario Bros. By the time I got to the first underground level, the dark level with that classic music playing, I was hooked.

GTA III. The whole 'open world thing' blew my mind. I'm ashamed to admit this but the first thing I did in GTA III was grab a baseball bat, run around a corner, and beat an unsuspecting gang member. My friends and I exploded with laughter. This was the first time any of us had seen GTA III. (fun fact: I had seen the demo at E3 but I ignored it. derp.) The very idea that I could freely explore a fully realized, living city blows my mind to this day.

Seeing the PSP for the first time (it was playing Ridge Racer). I recall saying something along the lines of "Holy shit, 3d graphics on a handheld!?"

Surely you mean fully texture mapped polygons on a handheld, the Lynx did 3D in 1989 ;)

Feel free to go back in time to 2004 and slap my 10 year old self across the face. How dare I not know that an obscure, long dead console did anything resembling 3d graphics in 1989.

• Like 1

Seeing the PSP for the first time (it was playing Ridge Racer). I recall saying something along the lines of "Holy shit, 3d graphics on a handheld!?"

Surely you mean fully texture mapped polygons on a handheld, the Lynx did 3D in 1989 ;)

Feel free to go back in time to 2004 and slap my 10 year old self across the face. How dare I not know that an obscure, long dead console did anything resembling 3d graphics in 1989.

Well excuse me for assuming that you might have known about other consoles that were around when you grew up, were advertised on TV, sold nearly 5 million units (hardly obscure) and one that was emulated on the PSP too!

I was 10 in 1987 and I sure knew all about the Sinclair ZX80 (released in 1980) the Atari 2600 & 8 Bits (1977 and 1979 and the Commodore PET (1977) ;)

Well excuse me for assuming that you might have known about other consoles that were around when you grew up, were advertised on TV, sold nearly 5 million units (hardly obscure) and one that was emulated on the PSP too!

I was 10 in 1987 and I sure knew all about the Sinclair ZX80 (released in 1980) the Atari 2600 & 8 Bits (1977 and 1979 and the Commodore PET (1977) ;)

No. No excuse for you. The Lynx was pretty obscure. Hell, there were gamers that didn't even know about it in 93-94 during the hay day of the GG and GB. But I doubt you were being serious, though ;)

Well I have no idea where you live but the Lynx was available in every major games store/retailer right up into the Jaguar years over here. In fact over here it was easier to buy a Lynx and its games than anything NES related. But this is off topic and my original point was still correct.

Don't go back to slap yourself.

The lynx did not do texture mapped polygons, but it did have hardware sprite scaling. Nevertheless jaw-dropping to see that in 1989, handheld or not.

It did some 3d, but with polygons only, like hard drivin', steel talons

There also is electrocop and blue lightning, which uses the spritescaling for a 3d-effect.

When I first played Outrun 2 SP in the arcade, the scenery was mindblowing.

The first time I booted up Trackmania Nations Forever when I got my Alienware m15x. I swore I was dreaming when I was playing it. The graphics looked so real, almost life-like. Yet it was still the same great game I played on Dimension 4600, which gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside :) .

When I was younger, I never really cared much for the graphics. So I really have no memories of being blown away at that age.