IGNORED

TI Basic Game: BloxoTIz

unhuman

BLOXOTIZ31.zip

New compiled versions (XB + EA/5): BloxoTIz-Compiled.zip

Probably Final! 31 Levels!!

I did not retest each level - but they all worked at some point - so - final unless there's a bug.

Stupid edit lost my formatting...

Shift 8-3-8 style Easter Egg - You can skip levels by typing a level number and pressing any key at the instruction screen. 2 of the planned levels would not fit in my architecture. Oh well. Pretty close to complete. Not quite sure how much space I have left for improving the Congratulations screen. Basic rules: Get the red block in the green hole. Move around with joystick. O Button = doesn't need a lot of pressure to work X button = requires more weight to work (Vertical block pair) () button - splits your block into 2 parts - press button to swap between the 2 parts. Some buttons only open bridges, some only close bridges, some do both. Some blocks are fragile and cannot support a lot of weight. Alright Owen... If you wanna see what I'm working on for the BASIC contest - here you go.... My port of Bloxorz... The code is now a complete mess - the "split" functionality was tricky to get working since I didn't anticipate that in the architecture... Fortunately I got it to work. Lost track of all sorts of variables - so there's probably a decent amount of unnecessary code in there. But it works and I'm not gonna mess with it any more... -H

Edited by unhuman

Long story short - get the red block into the green hole.

http://www.addictinggames.com/bloxors.html

Has better instructions...

-H

This game is a bit out of my realm of understanding... I don't know what to do. =) Perhaps I should read up on the original and determine how to play it...

Nice sound effects!!!!!

bloxorz.jpg

Hey Howie... Favor---

Could you attach a zipped version of the game file? When I copy and paste long code, for some reason it gets messed up.... Happened with Aperture early on too. :)

BTW I read those links you sent me--- very cool game concept... Looking forward to playing it now that I have a fargin idea how to play it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Consider each numeric data value is costing you 4 bytes, compared to the single byte a character in a string would cost. Even the added code to process strings is more than compensated for by the gain due to compression.

Adamantyr

Sweet - will try that. I'll then have 2 versions - one that takes numerics for easier dev and then migrate that data over to the "release build". I should write a web-based tool that does this work... :) But, if this quarters my data size (or comes close, I'll be really well off. Everything would be down to a single DATA statement. If any levels get insane later on and don't fit in a 4 line string, they weren't meant to be anyway!

Edited by unhuman

WOW - Level 1 went from 169 bytes (on 2 lines) or 163 (on 1 line) down to 45 bytes. This should help a ton!

Yeah, it's much more efficient. Probably a bit of a performance hit, but for level generation that should be fine.

It doesn't work so well with values over 100, but with screen data in BASIC we rarely need that. And you can always use two bytes, it's still more efficient than the numeric data.

Also, use an Excel spreadsheet to do all the crunching of values into letters if need be... WAY easier that way.

Adamantyr

Edited by adamantyr

WOW - Level 1 went from 169 bytes (on 2 lines) or 163 (on 1 line) down to 45 bytes. This should help a ton!

Yeah, it's much more efficient. Probably a bit of a performance hit, but for level generation that should be fine.

It doesn't work so well with values over 100, but with screen data in BASIC we rarely need that. And you can always use two bytes, it's still more efficient than the numeric data.

Also, use an Excel spreadsheet to do all the crunching of values into letters if need be... WAY easier that way.

Adamantyr

Yeah - this is GOOD! Switching my reading in code to gosub to a routine to get the next value & increment counter doesn't work... For a single level, my code size went DOWN 47 bytes (but doesn't work yet)! So that's gonna be a huge gain. Also, since I know that the only > single char values I have are characters - I re-base those at 96+VALUE so I can do that (I don't use < 96 for drawing anything). Still a single char for everything.

EDIT: Got it working. And I lied. it's a 63 byte savings! Should be even far more dramatic when I get all 20 of my done levels in.

EDIT (Again): Spoke too soon (bugs on level 2) - but I'm gonna be happy.

EDIT (Again): 152 byte savings now!

Edited by unhuman

new version uploaded - see first post.

Great stuff man!! That should give you a few more levels. :). I'll be DLing and playing tonight.
Only if I get it all working. Close. Cruising through level transformation now. Only issue is I need to add multi-line support. oh well. And that's done. Cruising!

All 20 levels updated.

Savings....

You're not gonna believe this...

4844 bytes! The new data is 26.46% of the size of the old data. CRAZY!

Edited by unhuman

• 2 weeks later...