IGNORED

Splatterhouse is today!

Austin

Man, no one? I thought there would be more interest in it, but I guess not (the GameStop I picked it up from said they only got eight copies of the 360 version, and had three pre-orders including my own).

It started a little rough IMO, but after getting used to it, it got good quickly. There is a ton of mindless action that is pretty entertaining, the visuals are decent enough, the soundtrack is fitting for what it is, and the mature theme to the extent that it is, is something I haven't seen in a very long time. Also, albeit a little clumsy/clunky sometimes, there are even throwback 2D levels that harken back to the original Splatterhouse games. My only real complaints come in the form of there being long loading times after dying, a clumsy QTE system that isn't very forgiving even on the easiest skill mode, and the high amount of instant-death areas (which leads back to sitting through lots of loading).

I am also apparently only 11% into the story mode (about two hours of play), and I've already unlocked the original Splatterhouse (The ARCADE version! Wahoo!) as well as the Genesis Splatterhous 2. This game is a true fan-service, and it delivers nicely!

Man, no one? I thought there would be more interest in it, but I guess not (the GameStop I picked it up from said they only got eight copies of the 360 version, and had three pre-orders including my own).

It started a little rough IMO, but after getting used to it, it got good quickly. There is a ton of mindless action that is pretty entertaining, the visuals are decent enough, the soundtrack is fitting for what it is, and the mature theme to the extent that it is, is something I haven't seen in a very long time. Also, albeit a little clumsy/clunky sometimes, there are even throwback 2D levels that harken back to the original Splatterhouse games. My only real complaints come in the form of there being long loading times after dying, a clumsy QTE system that isn't very forgiving even on the easiest skill mode, and the high amount of instant-death areas (which leads back to sitting through lots of loading).

I am also apparently only 11% into the story mode (about two hours of play), and I've already unlocked the original Splatterhouse (The ARCADE version! Wahoo!) as well as the Genesis Splatterhous 2. This game is a true fan-service, and it delivers nicely!

hmmm you have given me a reason to buy the game... Namco games are pretty average these days but they used to be the cream of the crop....

hmmm you have given me a reason to buy the game... Namco games are pretty average these days but they used to be the cream of the crop....

I agree I think modern games especially the companies that made the best games during retro era have gone down the tube.

i agree, my complaints would be the load times, a few unforgiving QTEs and a few platforming sections where you're not quite sure what you should be jumping to. but other than that i'm very happy with it.

i'm playing on medium and the game is surprisingly challenging,theres several fights where using the dodge is a must. for achievement hunters you can aquire a good chunk just by playing the game and doing things you'd normally do i.e. killing 100 enemies with weapons.

I finished the game this afternoon. With deaths and all, it probably took me up to 9 hours to complete the main story mode on the first difficulty setting. Some people may find that short, but it's just right for me, not to mention there is plenty of reason to keep playing (which I look forward to doing).

As a long-time Splatterhouse fan, by the time I got to the game's ending sequence, I was VERY happy with the game overall. I'm not sure if I entirely like how the ending turned out, but regardless, the non-stop chaos and mayhem through and through was awesome. I am going to start it on the "normal" difficulty level tomorrow and try out some of the survival modes.

On a side note, I think the classic Splatterhouse games might be reprogrammed ports. For instance, in the control options menus for parts 2 and 3, the buttons have been re-labeled to the XBOX pad's button layout. Some of the sounds are shaped differently, but it doesn't sound like the result of poor sound emulation (it's just different). Also, it seems like the graphics have been touched up a bit. This is especially noticeable in Splatterhouse 3, where the digitized actors now have a very, very smooth look to them, almost cartoonish. The polished look in these scenes in particular is much better than any kind of filter I've seen applied via your typical emulators.

shockingly only 2 "pro" sites have reviews up for it, eurogamer (who never likes anything) gave it a 6 and planetxbox360 gave it an 8.2.

"Let’s say you’ve never played those games, though. Not to worry. They’re unlockable bonus items in Splatterhouse, along with tantalizing nude photos of Jennifer (she’s appearing in Playboy next month, after all) and extra masks for Rick to wear. It doesn’t bump the replay value into the stratosphere, but they’re excellent bonuses. Gameplay-wise, Splatterhouse tends to be repetitive, but some of the attacks are so gruesome, you won’t care. The action is non-stop, and if you ever feel like things get too cheap, you can always turn down the difficulty and rely on your health replenish move. The best part of the game comes with Rick hulking into a super-behemoth, destroying everything in his path while bony spikes stick out of his body. It ain’t a pretty sight, but we love it. Splatterhouse’s presentation is also quite satisfying. Blood flies everywhere, even splattering on the screen for good measure. The animations are pretty sweet as well, especially when Rick rips someone in half with his unstoppable rage. We also like some of the level designs, along with a few nods to the original game. (We’re looking at you, returning chainsaw boss.)"

" No, Splatterhouse doesn’t revolutionize with its gameplay, and it’s not quite a perfect-looking game either. But if you’re looking for a bloody good time, it comes through on all fronts. Having the classic games in the package is great, too. We definitely can’t deny this overhaul of Splatter."

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_12340/Splatterhouse

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the game this evening. I only played on the easiest difficulty.

It's pretty fun. I really like the mask's comments. The finishers are pretty cool. When I got hit by the glowy blue alien grey looking thing I freaked out because my guy lost his arm. All in all, I liked it a lot more than Bayonetta or Darksiders. I'd easily choose this game over either of those.

That said, its a game I probably would have gotten neck deep into blood 15 to 20 years ago. But to the Gabriel of today it's merely OK. It's just not the kind of game that grabs me and that I'd want to spend any prolonged time with.

I suppose I have to be honest and admit that I'm disturbed by all the blood and gore. I found myself actually relieved when I would get a finisher off because it toned down the amount of gore from what I was normally seeing. Blood is all over the floor, walls, and camera. It sprays and spurts as enemies are hit in a manner which makes the excessive arterial spray of death in Vandal Hearts look like a paper cut. Guts decorate the walls and ooze out of strange locations. Damage to your character ends up revealing your bones and innards. It's positively hellish.

I'm a Mortal Kombat fan, and I have to say that Splatterhouse shook me up. Maybe I've played too many cutesy JRPGs, but I'm finding myself needing a dose of some pastel colored kiddie cartoon land to wash away some of the blood. I'm a bit worried my subconcious will grab hold of some of the stuff and use it in nightmares.

That's actually the highest praise and the strongest caution I can give in regards to this game.

I traded it in, but not before finishing it on all three difficulty settings, ironing out most of the survival arenas, and finishing Splatterhouse 3 (and most of parts 1 and 2). It took me an hour or two to really get into it when I first popped it in, but ended up getting hooked and played it for over a week straight. It didn't start to get repetitive until near the end of my third time through on the hardest mode. :lol:

I am curious how well it's sold? I haven't heard anyone talking about it, which is a shame IMO.

i got the preorder bonus in the mail yesterday. it came in a big black box with splatterhouse written on it. it's actually the nicest bonus i've ever gotten with a game.

Oh **** man! I completely forgot to send in for mine. I think I tossed the receipt too!! D'OH!!

When you unlock the original games, is there an option to have infinite lives???

No, just the stock options in the original games. If there were any cheat codes for such options, you can try those (I haven't tested any myself). Part 1 is the arcade version. You don't have infinite lives, but you have infinite credits.

i got the preorder bonus in the mail yesterday. it came in a big black box with splatterhouse written on it. it's actually the nicest bonus i've ever gotten with a game.

Oh **** man! I completely forgot to send in for mine. I think I tossed the receipt too!! D'OH!!

When you unlock the original games, is there an option to have infinite lives???

No, just the stock options in the original games. If there were any cheat codes for such options, you can try those (I haven't tested any myself). Part 1 is the arcade version. You don't have infinite lives, but you have infinite credits.

Awesome so you get to see the whole game, sweeet.

Personally I enjoyed it, despite the negative pro revies, because I knew going in what the game was going to be. The storyline is something straight out of a classic horror movie, and all the characters are over the top and are acted out in the same manner. The game amounts to a fairly long beat em up, with very little variety in stage design, but despite this, I feel that in doing so, the developers were able to stay true to the spirit of the original Spatterhouse series. I breezed through the game in about 10 hours on the Savage setting (medium), and I just unlocked the Brutal (hard) mode, so I'm going through that now, and its significantly tougher. Luckily, the game allows you to keep your upgrades from your previous game to take with you into the new one, so that helps out a bit.

All in all, it's not for everyone, but it is for fans of the original Splatterhouse, if that makes any sense. If I had any complaints about the game it would have to be the camera can sometimes be finicky, and there's a level towards the end (9 or 10, one of the two) where the stage boundaries go all haywire, and you wind up walking in place unless you move in a different direction. Oh, and if you get this for the 360, INSTALL IT ONTO YOUR HARD DRIVE! Probably the worst aspect of this game is the fact you have to wait a good 1-2 minutes (at least that's what it feels like) reloading the level every time you die. It's still a PITA on the HDD, but it's significantly less time (20-30 seconds).

I enjoy it, it's repetitive and hard as shit in some points, with infuriating load BS (like when I was jumping through a collapsing building and it would have to load for a minute when I died trying to jump to another building)

Anyhow, fun game, and it's bloody bwahahaha!!

I'll have to get a copy for me, I was just palying my friends copy, heh, he got the skullbone too. Pretty neat, considering most "bonus" stuff for games now days is just downloadable "I could give a shit less about it" stuff.

The load times are what I disliked about it the most the first day I played it, especially on the "platforming" segments in the first 1/3 of the game. It was like, "Die.. wait two minutes to load.. Die.. wait two minutes to load.. Die.. wait.. GAH $)(@#*$)(*#". Fortunately after that, there weren't a lot of platforming and instant-death scenarios, and the second two times through the game I breezed through those difficult portions when I got back to them. It's a game where once you really know what you are doing, you can fly through it. That's a great feeling. :thumbsup: