IGNORED

Incredible new proto found: Hotdog (platformer)

Willard

Buddybuddies and I are happy to announce the upcoming licensed Lynx title Hotdog! Hotdog is a fully playable platformer that is scheduled for release before the end of the year (around the 14th if everything works out).

This is a demo sent to Purple Hampton for review, and contains 8 levels, several bonus rounds, and a boss encounter- all spanning accross 6 distinct worlds (Cheese, Aqua, Ice, Palm and Factory; plus a hidden castle level). It was designed and programmed between 1993 - 1995 by Paul Johnson using an engine created by Steve Mitchell (Lore Designs).

Similar to Poker, this will be fully packaged in a clamshell with custom foam and a double sided insert and vinyl label. We are also going to be using custom blue boards that use small PLCC chips.

Big thanks to everyone involved, credits on this release are as follows:

Paul Johnson - Individual level scripting, art and design. Permission to distribute

Steve Mitchell- High level macro code. Permission to distribute.

Tim Harper- Music and sound

Willard*- Packaging and printing, released by.

Buddybuddies*- Released by.

Lynxman- PCB design and production, soldering.

Sage*- Beta Phase Games logo replacement.

Distributed under exclusive worldwide license by Beta Phase Games LLC.

*Actual names will be credited in the manual

Special thanks to Thunderbird for coordinating extra soldering in case there is a additional demand past the first batch.

post-3404-129121754528_thumb.jpg

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

it was produced between 1993 and 1995, it was never picked up just because Atari decided to focus on the Jaguar but would have been released had they continued to fully support the Lynx.

Of note is that Lore Design moved onto produce Highlander for the Jaguar around the time this was abandoned.

Edited by Willard

Wow, this looks very nice indeed! :cool:

Game engine from Lore designs, I guess that could mean some similarities with Fat Bobby maybe ?

"8 levels, several bonus rounds, and a boss encounter- all spanning accross 6 distinct worlds" - Sounds like this one is pretty much a complete game ?

What I like most about this is that you got the permission from the actual programmers to release this! Good work!

count me in for a copy! i will get paypal funds ready!

its amazing that the word never leaked out on this one. i'd love to hear the story behind how this was found (on a computer or something???)

sidenote: lynx community is getting very exciting! there are at least two more releases coming within the next few months! wow!

Here is a video I just put together, watermark on the image though since my usual video editing software did not like the capture output :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4XeOclmG8

@Tempest2K: Cost is $35.

@SwedenLynxer: Yes, this game was very close to completion. All of the tilesets are finished, all that is left is to create a boss for each world after the first and generate new levels with the existing tileset. A note to the producer (found in-game) suggested this could be done in as little as a month. Apparently most of Lore Design games shared a very flexible engine (Kung Food, Fat Bobby), which this game also used.

Unfortunately, neither of the original developers still have any code, dev hardware or protos of this game - they were happy to see that we found this and still have their Atari Lynx consoles though :) This was apparently about as far as they got.

We are very happy to have been able to do with with the permission of the authors too, considering it was an original IP created by a small company it was a little more straightforward than many protos found.

@Eric, above might answer alot of questions, this was found on the Atari Test dept computer that we bought that was used by purple hampton (same as Poker).

Edited by Willard

That video is awesome. There are a lot of cool little things in the game. I like the entire concept of it! :) I love the little cannons that you jump in and then roll around in.

As for the video capturing you are using... what is it?! I'd like to make some vids of my EOTB. I've been wanting to do that for a while now LOL