IGNORED

WTB: Jaguar rotary controller

dsheinem

Anyone have one for a reasonable price?

Just saw this... I should have some of the great ChaosReins ones up at the GOAT Store, but oddly enough I don't. I'll check quantity and add them later today.

Thanks, I actually checked there first but no dice. I'll check back.

For others who have bought them from there: thoughts?

Thanks, I actually checked there first but no dice. I'll check back.

For others who have bought them from there: thoughts?

I apologize, I have no idea why they weren't in inventory. I've got two in stock. I had noticed that htye hadn't sold in a while, so I was waiting to get more in, but now I'll probably do that since I didn't have them on the site...

Here is the link to the page, if they show up as out of stock the page needs to wait until our next normal server update to put them back in, which usually occurs every 30 minutes. I put them up about 5 minutes ago, so the longest you should need to wait is about 25 minutes.

I know you asked for others, but I'll toss in my two cents about the ChaosReins rotaries. I try to be really honest with whatever it is we sell because I don't do this full time and I do it because I'm a fan of this sort of stuff, so hopefully I'm not being partial. That having been said, obviously, they are on my web site so I guess you can take it with a grain of salt...

Anyway, I LOVE the ChaosReins Rotary controllers. We carry them because they are awesome. If people didn't like them, we would have stopped making them a while ago.

The price, at $70, is kind of steep since you can use them only on one game, but if you are a fan of Tempest 2000, there is nothing better than using a rotary controller on it. I LOVE Tempest 2000 -- I rotate between naming it, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Earthbound as my favorite game of all time, and most of the time I probably go with Tempest. The game inspired us to start the GOAT Store (not kidding), the store actually got me in contact with Jeff Minter who programmed it, and our "GOAT" mascot is actually Jeff Minter's friend's goat copper, who voice acted in Tempest 3000. I've played every version of Tempest 2000 there is and beat them -- Jaguar, Saturn, PC, X3 on PS1 and 3000 on NUON, and the Jaguar is the best one without the rotary.

With a rotary, it gets even better. I am not really a fan of the arcade version for whatever reason, and I never much cared for the rotary there. But it works SO good on the Jaguar version of the game, it's ridiculous.

One thing of important note -- a lot of rotary controllers have little "clicky" type things in them. The ChaosReins rotary does not, it's totally smooth. Some people like the clicky stuff, but from arcade collecting and whatnot I've found that the clickyness is something that you get from wear and was not standard on most rotary controllers. I've tried T2K with a rotary with the clicks, and the problem that I have is that I want to equate one click with one full turn, which doesn't always match the action on the screen. The ChaosReins Rotary without the clicks solves this, and it seems totally, totally natural to play like this.

The FIRST time that I played a game of Tempest with a rotary (admittedly, not a ChaosReins - but also one that I think only a couple were made like it - bigger version in a custom case), I immediately improved my play. I literally flew through some of the later levels that I usually died on with normal controls. It sold me. When we first looked at carrying the ChaosReins rotary, I tried this one and found it even better than the other one. Truthfully, while I know that I have the other rotary somewhere (that I paid over $100 for), I use the ChaosReins controller exclusively when I play now.

There is another rotary that has recently been offered for sale by someone, I forget who, that is called the T2K Commander or something similar. It looks awesome. He does custom buttons, a custom spinner that has the claw from T2K on it. I think it looks awesome. But, he also flipped the rotary to the right hand side and made it so that the buttons for the shoot and jump were integrated into the d-pad. A unique and cool method of doing it, but to me, the rotary is more natural on the left (I think it was on the right on the arcade game though) and I also like the individual button controls, as I find especially playing in the hardcore mode (whatever it is called) being able to fire individually while also being able to jump individually gets more important. Having said all that, if I had money I'd probably get one to just because I'm stupid for Tempest stuff, but I can't imagine I would switch to it permanently.

Hope that helps! Enjoy whatever choice you make! The game is so cool with a rotary!

I know you asked for others, but I'll toss in my two cents about the ChaosReins rotaries. I try to be really honest with whatever it is we sell because I don't do this full time and I do it because I'm a fan of this sort of stuff, so hopefully I'm not being partial. That having been said, obviously, they are on my web site so I guess you can take it with a grain of salt...

Thanks much for the detailed review - I ordered one just a moment ago!