IGNORED

7800 Expansion Module (XM) hardware & game details - 7/8/2016

Lendorien

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think that those that are planning releases for the XM are making a big mistake by not announcing them in some form. I know a few people that want this but wont pay the $100 unless they know they are going to get some games that use the hardware.

exactly, I am one of them. Also are there any planned side scrolling plat-formers or beat em ups planned, that is one area the 7800 was really laking, like Wolfchild for instance. That was a fun side scroller, and no I did not like it just because I am a fan of werewolf's. Arcade ports are nice but that is one reason it did not sell well back then is that there were hardly any plat-formers for it which were big at that time and still are.

• Like 2

I agree... I won't buy one of these until I know there are at least several games taking advantage of it that are of interest to me. Especially since I don't particularly care for the 7800 to begin with, so I have no interest in the high score features or anything like that.

• Like 3

I agree... I won't buy one of these until I know there are at least several games taking advantage of it that are of interest to me. Especially since I don't particularly care for the 7800 to begin with, so I have no interest in the high score features or anything like that.

Ditto.

• Like 3

Yes. Also read this -

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/173454-7800-expansion-module-xm-games/page__view__findpost__p__2152572

It's still VERY unclear what games are coming for the XM that uses the features of the XM. For many the High Score feature is not that exciting. Looking at the list it still seems that Dungeon is the only game that really takes full advantage of the XM. Maybe I am reading the list wrong. There are unknowns and question marks. Not sure how to read into that.

• Like 3

It's still VERY unclear what games are coming for the XM that uses the features of the XM. For many the High Score feature is not that exciting.

There is a key in the first post of this thread too. XM games will fall into two camps e.g. games that make use of XM features if it is detected in the system (reliant only on enhanced POKEY/Yamaha sound and HSC) and games that won't work without the XM at all (reliant on its mappers and 128K RAM). Its up to developers what they want to do.

[quote name='SpaceDice2010' date='Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 PM' timestamp='1295211281' post='2184700'Looking at the list it still seems that Dungeon is the only game that really takes full advantage of the XM. Maybe I am reading the list wrong. There are unknowns and question marks. Not sure how to read into that.

You edited while I was replying. My Dungeon! and Fruitarian games are specifically targetted towards the XM. As more games are announced developers will state if the XM is mandatory or if it only provides optional enhanced features (if detected). I don't see a problem with the number of unknowns at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

It's still VERY unclear what games are coming for the XM that uses the features of the XM. For many the High Score feature is not that exciting.

Tell that to my 12 year old self from 1987 who had to turn off his 7800 when he was on Level 56 of Galaga so he could attend a church service with his family. For that, I blame the Tramiels! :)

Just throwing this out there, but how would you guys feel about Crystal Castles? With the XM, an almost arcade perfect port could be produced.. and after all, it was in the works, but never release for the 7800.

I'd jump at it in a second! I love this game!

• Like 2

Just throwing this out there, but how would you guys feel about Crystal Castles? With the XM, an almost arcade perfect port could be produced.. and after all, it was in the works, but never release for the 7800.

Third'ed. Too bad the 7800 never received a ProLine version of the Trackball controller...

• Like 1

Third'ed. Too bad the 7800 never received a ProLine version of the Trackball controller...

Agreed, Crystal Castles is a little difficult but still enjoyable with a joystick. Although, the 2-button d-pad controller for 7800 would handle it pretty well.

So, does that mean the 2600 trakball doesn't work on the 7800?

So, does that mean the 2600 trakball doesn't work on the 7800?

It does but it isn't "pro". The trackball itself isn't that large, unlike the trackballs used by Atari [and Atari Games] in the arcades for Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede, Crystal Castles, Marble Madness, etc.

Too bad Atari didn't produce a 7800 themed trackball controller. Even the 5200 got one...

I forget...was the Colecovision's "Roller Controller" large?