IGNORED

Two new 2600 demos

ilmarque

Are the videos from a real Atari 2600 or an emulator?

If you want an extra challenge, why don't you guys see what you can do with batari Basic next time? If you figure out how to stretch the boundaries of bB and do what seemed to be impossible (and share the information when you're done), it will help batari Basic users make better games.

Are the videos from a real Atari 2600 or an emulator?

These videos are from emulator.

Our friend Jimmy will hopefully capture Saigon from a real Atari soon.

If you want an extra challenge, why don't you guys see what you can do with batari Basic next time? If you figure out how to stretch the boundaries of bB and do what seemed to be impossible (and share the information when you're done), it will help batari Basic users make better games.

We've discussed and considered this option but personally i've no interest in working with Batari Basic.

• 1 month later...

Missed this thread.

Saigon loses sync on any frame the display changes (a lot of additional cycles when clearing ram @$F2CE). This could be avoided by checking $80 in the previous scanline-waste loop @$F331 to perform the ram clear (and burn less scanlines via WSYNC if so)...instead of doing such a long loop right above VSYNC. There's still enough cycle time left over to leave the INC's and COLUBK store right where they are.

Speaking of the ram clear loop...is there any specific reason to keep reloading A with zero?

Saigon loses sync on any frame the display changes (a lot of additional cycles when clearing ram @$F2CE).

This is true.

Althought it has never caused any problems with any TV we've tested our demos with.

This could be avoided by checking $80 in the previous scanline-waste loop @$F331 to perform the ram clear (and burn less scanlines via WSYNC if so)...instead of doing such a long loop right above VSYNC. There's still enough cycle time left over to leave the INC's and COLUBK store right where they are.

I've been thinking of changing it that way, but apparently i've been too lazy to do it.

But i promise to fix it before the next release.

Speaking of the ram clear loop...is there any specific reason to keep reloading A with zero?

Haha, no :)

I wrote that ram clear loop a few years ago when i knew very little about 6502 and i haven't even looked at that part of the framework ever since.

Thanks for constructive feedback :)

I personally wouldn't want them trying to code demos in bB, because they're just going to use inline ASM anyway. So, it's like they're not even doing bB anyway.

That's kind of shortsighted. People with crazy skills could make all kinds of custom kernels and other cool stuff for bB users. Someone with the skills and desire could bring bB to the next level of crap-your-pants goodness.

• Like 1

I understand that portion of it. I just don't think they're interested in it for that reason and tailoring it to our needs.

I'd love to have a text scroller available.

I personally wouldn't want them trying to code demos in bB, because they're just going to use inline ASM anyway. So, it's like they're not even doing bB anyway.

That's kind of shortsighted. People with crazy skills could make all kinds of custom kernels and other cool stuff for bB users. Someone with the skills and desire could bring bB to the next level of crap-your-pants goodness.

Nice to see that the demos found their way to this site as well! (I'm the coder of the Noice demo btw.)

Regarding scroller, I'm not at all familiar with bB (I prefer pure asm for all oldschool platforms). However if what ilmarque says about 26 bytes RAM limit is true, then it would be difficult. My scroller uses least 32 bytes of RAM if I recall correctly (6 bytes x 5 rows = 30 bytes for storing the playfield data, 1 byte for the finescroll value and 1 byte to keep track of the position in the scrolltext).

Nice to see that the demos found their way to this site as well! (I'm the coder of the Noice demo btw.)

Regarding scroller, I'm not at all familiar with bB (I prefer pure asm for all oldschool platforms). However if what ilmarque says about 26 bytes RAM limit is true, then it would be difficult. My scroller uses least 32 bytes of RAM if I recall correctly (6 bytes x 5 rows = 30 bytes for storing the playfield data, 1 byte for the finescroll value and 1 byte to keep track of the position in the scrolltext).

No, we are not limited to 26 bytes of ram:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#superchipram

And there is more goodness to come for bB users:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/blog/134/entry-7832-batari-basic-11-beta-with-dpc-kernel/

Edited by Random Terrain

The 26 bytes quoted are unallocated ram, free for any use.

Without SC RAM, bB allocates 48 bytes of ram for the bitmapped playfield display, and allows you to adjust the vertical resolution to your preference, using as much or little of the 48 bytes as your want. With SC RAM, there's obviously much more.

So the 30 bytes for playfield and +2 bytes are more than covered, even with a non-SC 4k bin.