IGNORED

Finally got an 800XL!....

ataridave

I LOVE this thing! I got Ms. Pac-Man and Centipede with it, and I love both games!!! The unit really feels like it has excellent built quality, like a Sega Saturn, for example. I plan to ad more games, and I'm addicted to 8-bit Atari! :cool:

Did you order that from KJmann?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the 800XL has left me disappointed, because so many of the games that I wanted to play on it, like Astro Chase, cannot be played on it. So, I'm thinking about getting an Atari 800 or 400, but I cannot find a compatibility list for either machine. Any help would be appreciated.

Fandal's site has astro chase link http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1299 I've played this on my XE so should work ok on the 800XL - what other games are you having problems with :?: Some old (50ish may be) games require the translator disk (pokeysoft disk U119b) to run on the XL/XE :)

Buying an Atari 800 would let you run a bunch of old games and play about 20 four player simultaneous games (which are great fun) but would exclude you from many more 64K and Turbo Basic games - so you need the two Ataris :D

p.s. Ms.Pac-man is the game being played in the High Score Contest ;)

Well, the 800XL has left me disappointed, because so many of the games that I wanted to play on it, like Astro Chase, cannot be played on it. So, I'm thinking about getting an Atari 800 or 400, but I cannot find a compatibility list for either machine. Any help would be appreciated.

Fandal's site has astro chase link http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1299 I've played this on my XE so should work ok on the 800XL - what other games are you having problems with :?: Some old (50ish may be) games require the translator disk (pokeysoft disk U119b) to run on the XL/XE :)

Buying an Atari 800 would let you run a bunch of old games and play about 20 four player simultaneous games (which are great fun) but would exclude you from many more 64K and Turbo Basic games - so you need the two Ataris :D

p.s. Ms.Pac-man is the game being played in the High Score Contest ;)

Thanks for the info, I wouldn't mind owning both! I LOVE Ms. Pac-Man, so maybe I will enter. Can the Atari 800 be hooked up to a "tube" TV with AV cables the way that my 800XL is??

A lot of them will work with the Translator disk image. Have you tried that? I can't say offhand which ones will and won't work, but when I use my 800XL with the SIO2PC-USB, if an older game doesn't work, I load the Translator disk image, then the game, and it usually works. Either way, you need to get an atarimax device and really open up the possibilities.

The one MAJOR concern that I have with this unit is the cost of games. Games like Asteroids and Joust are cheap enough, on Ebay, but I found Beamrider on Ebay for over $50, and it was cartridge only! Now, I know what the rules of Beamrider are, but that seems ridiculous.

Still fun after a generation. I like the AtariMax carts. You can run about 50 games off this cart that plugs into the cart slot...

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/documentation/

I'm still looking for something for games that save to disk (seven cities of gold, for instance) and wonder what people think of...

http://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/

or...

http://raster.infos.cz/atari/hw/ramcart/ramcart.htm

Edited by WizWor

The one MAJOR concern that I have with this unit is the cost of games. Games like Asteroids and Joust are cheap enough, on Ebay, but I found Beamrider on Ebay for over $50, and it was cartridge only! Now, I know what the rules of Beamrider are, but that seems ridiculous.

Still fun after a generation. I like the AtariMax carts. You can run about 50 games off this cart that plugs into the cart slot...

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/documentation/

I'm still looking for something for games that save to disk (seven cities of gold, for instance) and wonder what people think of...

http://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/

or...

http://raster.infos.cz/atari/hw/ramcart/ramcart.htm

Nice, I didn't know about those! To be quite honest, I enjoy playing it as much as I do my PS3! Sometimes more so!

A lot of them will work with the Translator disk image. Have you tried that? I can't say offhand which ones will and won't work, but when I use my 800XL with the SIO2PC-USB, if an older game doesn't work, I load the Translator disk image, then the game, and it usually works. Either way, you need to get an atarimax device and really open up the possibilities.

Many of the XL incompatible games have been patched.

Sweet, well there ya go then, save a step!!! (Thanks!)

Actually, very few games need an 800 or a translator disk. I'm wondering if you are trying to play games that you load

from DOS? A lot of games won't load from DOS and need a menu disk loader because they use low memory that DOS uses.

Some games will load from DOS 2/2.5/MyDOS but not from SpartaDOS because they use the RAM under the OS like Sparta uses, or other reason. If you mention a particular game you're having trouble with someone here can help you.

Edit:

For instance, I don't know where you got Astrochase but I got this one from Holmes' archive and

tested it on a 64K 600XL loading from MyDOS 4.53. Seems fine to me.

ASTROCH.zip

Edited by russg

Hello. Does anyone knows who can I find the MYDOS version for eprom? I wnat to make one multi OS version for my 130XE, using a 27C512 eprom with QMEG 4.04, BOSS II XL-XE, STOCK, and also the MYDOS 4.something. Any help are welcome! :)

MYDOS isn't an Operating System, it is a DISK Operating System. It needs to work with the OS, not replace it.

Thanks that's a useful thread :thumbsup:

Actually, very few games need an 800 or a translator disk.

In this thread I listed some of the four player simultaneous games which you need an 800 for to have maximum fun ;)

Plus there are still a few out there that are unpatched... e.g.

Atarian Attack, Galactic Explorer, Ghost Hunter I&II, Hunchback, Kamikaze, K-Razy Kritters, MASH, Match UP, Jumping Jack's Big Adventure, QBert (ver with the menu), Space Combat, Space Zap ... Crush Crumble and Chomp and plenty of BASIC programs too.

Fandal's site seems to have most of the patched versions of the others :)

p.s. fixed version of Shadow World here on atarionline.pl